Louisville Post-Game Thread | The Boneyard

Louisville Post-Game Thread

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Any win is a good win, and this one is great. Crystal looked and played hurt at the end of the 2nd and when she was in for the 3rd. Kia spent most of the game face guarding Durr and was ineffective offensively. UConn relied on Lou for offense for the majority of the game and by the time the 4th quarter came she was worn. The rest of the team's butts were dragging by the end as well. Good win, but if the game was measured by quarters Louisville won easy. Durr and Hines-Allen were extremely good. That team has to be saying, "We want UConn at home or even on a neutral court next time and we like our chances". I won't speak about Z.

Reaction Score
defenseondurr.jpg

Reaction Score
I thought it was a moral victory for Louisville. UConn looked like they should have won by much more, but basically put the brakes on in the second half for whatever reason. Seemed like the energy was sucked out of them. Maybe they were surprised at how easily it seemed in the beginning. I think the coach of Louisville will use this to prepare for the next meeting possibly in the final four.

Reaction Score
UConn clearly took their foot off the gas.... I wonder if that was on purpose.
I seriously doubt they took their foot off the gas after just one quarter. Subbing in Z and Megan in the second quarter killed the momentum that team had going into the end of the first quarter. That game was getting away from Louisville in a real hurry until the break between quarters when they were able to mentally reset and play against some of our subs.

Reaction Score
Great shock and awe attack in the first quarter, very underwhelming after that.

We keep having weaknesses revealed:
- susceptible to physical play
- mediocre half-court offense (especially with Collier missing bunnies and Gabby not having developed a reliable mid-range shot)
- No bench

The question is whether an opponent will be able to exploit all of it for the entirety of the game. If so, in a grind-it-out game, like we'd get against MSU, a repeat of last year is entirely plausible.

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt they took their foot off the gas after just one quarter. Subbing in Z and Megan in the second quarter killed the momentum that team had going into the end of the first quarter. That game was getting away from Louisville in a real hurry until the break between quarters when they were able to mentally reset and play against some of our subs.

If this team is that reliant on momentum that subbing in 2 players in the 2nd QTR kills everything for the 30 minutes that follows than that's a problem. If we can't give our starters rest up 20 won't they be tired playing all 40 minutes at the end?

Reaction Score
If this team is that reliant on momentum that subbing in 2 players kills everything for the 2nd half than that's a problem. If we can't give our starters rest up 20 won't they be tired playing all 40 minutes at the end?
Yes and it is a problem as it has been all season. There is no consistency off the bench, and Z at this point is more Butler than Stef.

Reaction Score
Every time UConn has been challenged this year, UConn has met the challenge. Because it is UConn, however, an 11 point win is not enough. Rather, UConn really demonstrated its multiple areas of vulnerability this evening because it lost the game if the score was tabulated quarter by quarter. That is certainly one way to look at it. I think it is the wrong way.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Any win is a good win, and this one is great. Crystal looked and played hurt at the end of the 2nd and when she was in for the 3rd. Kia spent most of the game face guarding Durr and was ineffective offensively. UConn relied on Lou for offense for the majority of the game and by the time the 4th quarter came she was worn. The rest of the team's butts were dragging by the end as well. Good win, but if the game was measured by quarters Louisville won easy. Durr and Hines-Allen were extremely good. That team has to be saying, "We want UConn at home or even on a neutral court next time and we like our chances". I won't speak about Z.
In fairness, given the cake for the rest of the season, Crystal should be able to see lots of rest. Let's hope her endurance stays at a high level because if we make it to the final 4 and NC game, she will be needed closer to 35-40 minutes each game...

UCONN played with what L'ville gave them. Lou was unstoppable in the 1st quarter and that was the game. L'ville outplayed us the rest of the way, but it was too little too late. But L'ville should take tons of confidence away from the game. Lots of good things for them to take away. Lou was sensational, Gabby was everywhere, and Kia did a great job on Durr for long stretches of the game.

As much as I thought Z was sub par, I was glad Geno left her in. Hopefully she learned a thing or two from bungling thru her time on the floor. If she never takes a 3 point shot again, I will NOT be disappointed. I don't care that she makes them routinely in practice. If she wants to launch them against Wichita State or some other team when we are up 40, that's fine. Not in a game like this tho. Just my $.02

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Funny, but that's not how games are decided.

Durr took 19 shots and was 3-12 on 3-pointers. Of course she's good, we knew that. But she had to work extremely hard for her shots and 3-12 on three-pointers is not a winning formula for her team. Oh, and Lou is pretty good too. In fact, Lou was better tonight.

I'm sure Louisville will take positives from this game. That's what losing teams try to do. If these teams meet again this season it won't be on Louisville's home court (last I checked) and it will be with a lot more pressure so we'll see who makes shots and who doesn't. Overall, UConn's defense was pretty good.

All that said, folks here still need to lower the expectations a bit. There's a lot of talent on this team but there's an obvious weakness in the lane. Azura isn't a strong finisher at the rim and doesn't have back-to-the-basket moves. I wish she did but she doesn't. Funny, I watched some video today of Stewie over in China and she made a couple of jump-hooks. My first thought was: why doesn't Azura have that move? The answer probably goes back a few years but maybe she can develop one by next year.

We should enjoy the tremendous success of this team while understanding that there are weaknesses that can be exposed down the road.

Overall, a good win.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
While not as effective as I want, Stevens was very active on the boards tonight. Had trouble finishing when she gets contact. She's a player that UConn needs if they end up facing Baylor and Miss St. She's got a short time to become the player we thought she would be at the start of the season.

I wonder if Crystal would have played in the last 4 minutes or so if the game was closer? The offense struggled down the stretch with Crystal on the bench.

Reaction Score
Simply put it was a good game that could have been great but was not because of how we finished. That said we won against #4 and the game was never in question. We also take away areas of improvement which is just as important as the win.

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice how physical #23 was with KLS in the 2Q?

Reaction Score
Great shock and awe attack in the first quarter, very underwhelming after that.

We keep having weaknesses revealed:
- susceptible to physical play
- mediocre half-court offense (especially with Collier missing bunnies and Gabby not having developed a reliable mid-range shot)
- No bench

The question is whether an opponent will be able to exploit all of it for the entirety of the game. If so, in a grind-it-out game, like we'd get against MSU, a repeat of last year is entirely plausible.
Hopefully teams will learn from playing against us (UConn) and make adjustments so come tournament time we get really exciting games where we don’t no the outcome of the game until the very end.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Eric brings up a good point, why is it Z doesn’t move thru the lane, up top, back down thru and from side to side, she’s freakin 6’6”, you’re not a wing!
We forced to many passes in the second half and didn’t take advantage of the smaller defenders on KLS once Jones picked up foul #4. CD3also launched too many 3 that were too far back from the line. As good Sam the first half was, we struggled a bit in the second. Some kudos need to go to Louisville’s defense in the second half. That was one of their best defensive efforts all year and I was impressed. That said, I don’t see them playing any better against us.
Good game, we all should be happy as again, that was the #4team in the country and deserving of that ranking.

Reaction Score
Simply put it was a good game that could have been great but was not because of how we finished. That said we won against #4 and the game was never in question. We also take away areas of improvement which is just as important as the win.
The areas of improvement are the same ones they were in November. It's late in the season and barring an injury, teams are what they are for the most part after 25 games.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Funny, but that's not how games are decided.

Durr took 19 shots and was 3-12 on 3-pointers. Of course she's good, we knew that. But she had to work extremely hard for her shots and 3-12 on three-pointers is not a winning formula for her team. Oh, and Lou is pretty good too. In fact, Lou was better tonight.

I'm sure Louisville will take positives from this game. That's what losing teams try to do. If these teams meet again this season it won't be on Louisville's home court (last I checked) and it will be with a lot more pressure so we'll see who makes shots and who doesn't. Overall, UConn's defense was pretty good.

All that said, folks her still need to lower the expectations a bit. There's a lot of talent on this team but there's an obvious weakness in the lane. Azura isn't a strong finisher at the rim and doesn't have back-to-the-basket moves. I wish she did but she doesn't. Funny, I watched some video today of Stewie over in China and she made a couple of jump-hooks. My first thought was: why doesn't Azura have that move? The answer probably goes back a few years but maybe she can develop one by next year.

We should enjoy the tremendous success of this team while understanding that there are weaknesses that can be exposed down the road.

Overall, a good win.
Well clearly you've quickly become master of the obvious. Thankfully I did say if. Winning teams as well as losing ones take away positives from every game. Or else why play them? Thankfully I did say a neutral court as well. Next time they play, if there is one, I wonder where and from whom a "lot more pressure " will come from?

I do agree with much of the second part of your exposition, although I think we as well as Geno have stated this teams weaknesses over and again on many occasions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom