Louisville looking for breakthrough against UConn | The Boneyard

Louisville looking for breakthrough against UConn

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A recent article written by Michelle Voepel for ESPN. I didn't notice that anyone had already posted it, if it has, my apologies. She does a good job teeing up this game for us. She gives us some interesting insights about Louisville -

UConn has long been the bridge too far for Louisville. We'll find out Monday (ESPN2, 7 p.m. ET) whether this might finally be the year the Cardinals cross it.

The No. 1 Huskies host fourth-ranked Louisville at Gampel Pavilion in Storrs, Connecticut, in a game that has been eagerly anticipated all season.

Admittedly, the matchup would have even more buzz if the Cardinals (25-1) were still unbeaten. As it is, Monday likely marks the last realistic chance the Huskies (24-0) could lose a game before the NCAA tournament. Such has been their mastery of their American Athletic Conference foes; on Saturday, UConn beat Wichita State 124-43.

For Louisville, though, this is major test in the middle of a very competitive ACC race with Notre Dame. And it's a chance to show that UConn isn't miles and miles ahead of the Cardinals.

[Article]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
When Uconn beat SC in 2015 at Gampel. They won their 300th game to just 18 loses since 1990! They still only have 18 losses with the last time in 2013. I am predicting Uconn wins by at least 23 points on Monday!

Reaction Score
I am predicting UConn wins by 18. I am very interested to see what Hines-Allen does. She is crucial in this game.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Don't forget the WBB HOF awardee's are named at halftime so I expect a nice halftime with a good double digit lead and a new HOF to enter the fold complete with a nice interview between HOF's .

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Don't forget the WBB HOF awardee's are named at halftime so I expect a nice halftime with a good double digit lead and a new HOF to enter the fold complete with a nice interview between HOF's .

Thanks for the reminder. CD should get it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good article...

"Yet single-digit victories over Notre Dame in December and Texas in January showed that good teams, if they played well, could hang with the Huskies. And lackluster performances such as the Huskies' 78-60 win at Tulsa on Jan. 18 were an indication that UConn could have an off-game against a lesser foe.

Walz, of course, is used to always seeing the best of UConn, and that's what he'll prepare his team for. The possibility that we'll also see the best of Louisville, though, is what makes this game so tantalizing
".

She also mentioned how UCF took UCONN out of their offensive rhythm, granted without Danger playing, but held UCONN to 55 points. She said L'ville is a "good enough defensive team" to slow UCONN down, and strong enough offensively to score, but both remains to be seen.

Also, L'ville does not like to milk the clock and play half court sets every time down the court. Historically they like to play fast. Haven't seen them play yet this year, so i'm not sure if that's changed, but it would seem unlikely IMHO... But one reason UCONN has slaughtered them so many times recently is because they play a similar game to UCONN (fast paced, strong defense leading to offense), but their problem is they have no quality height to bother UCONN, their 2 best players will be guarded by our 2 best defenders, and I'm not sure they have any one who can guard Lou or Pheesa, and I'm not sure about their PG.

I think highly rated Dana Evans still comes off the bench. She reminds me of Danger - small, fast, and confident. But I'm not sure how they will handle Danger's speed or quick thinking leadership on the court either...

Reaction Score
Good article...

"Yet single-digit victories over Notre Dame in December and Texas in January showed that good teams, if they played well, could hang with the Huskies. And lackluster performances such as the Huskies' 78-60 win at Tulsa on Jan. 18 were an indication that UConn could have an off-game against a lesser foe.

Walz, of course, is used to always seeing the best of UConn, and that's what he'll prepare his team for. The possibility that we'll also see the best of Louisville, though, is what makes this game so tantalizing
".

She also mentioned how UCF took UCONN out of their offensive rhythm, granted without Danger playing, but held UCONN to 55 points. She said L'ville is a "good enough defensive team" to slow UCONN down, and strong enough offensively to score, but both remains to be seen.

Also, L'ville does not like to milk the clock and play half court sets every time down the court. Historically they like to play fast. Haven't seen them play yet this year, so i'm not sure if that's changed, but it would seem unlikely IMHO... But one reason UCONN has slaughtered them so many times recently is because they play a similar game to UCONN (fast paced, strong defense leading to offense), but their problem is they have no quality height to bother UCONN, their 2 best players will be guarded by our 2 best defenders, and I'm not sure they have any one who can guard Lou or Pheesa, and I'm not sure about their PG.

I think highly rated Dana Evans still comes off the bench. She reminds me of Danger - small, fast, and confident. But I'm not sure how they will handle Danger's speed or quick thinking leadership on the court either...
I’m concerned about Evans future development being able to finish. Not good so far. Dana gets to the basket just can’t finish clean because her shot gets stuffed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom