Louisville hires grandfather of #1 recruit | The Boneyard

Louisville hires grandfather of #1 recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Louisville hires grandfather of #1 recruit
Sigh… Of course they did

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I think Milt and Kenny Payne also played together so it was already viewed as Louisville being the one school that could lure dj away from the squid

Reaction Score
To be fair, Milt is always a hot commodity. I mean, Memphis hired him in 2000 to get his son to commit.

The funny thing is that it was Calipari that hired Milt to get Dajuan. Now Calipari is trying to get DJ (Dajuan's son) to Kentucky, but Louisville "Calipari'd" him.

Reaction Score
I think Milt and Kenny Payne also played together so it was already viewed as Louisville being the one school that could lure dj away from the squid
They played together at Louisville and won an NCAA championship and are extremely close friends. Dejuan calls Payne his uncle

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Cmon. Milt plated for Lille and was/is best friend of Kenny Paine. Like any coach including DH wouldn’t do it

Reaction Score
To be fair, Milt is always a hot commodity. I mean, Memphis hired him in 2000 to get his son to commit.

The funny thing is that it was Calipari that hired Milt to get Dajuan. Now Calipari is trying to get DJ (Dajuan's son) to Kentucky, but Louisville "Calipari'd" him.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

It's probably just a coincidence that they're related though, right? Right?

HONEST TO GOD: When I saw this thread title, my immediate reaction was "Oh, kind of like when Memphis hired Milt Wagner to get Dejuan"

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This is the smartest possible way to conduct business. It’s not illegal and guarantees you a high end starter. Every serious D1 basketball school should be doing this, including us.

Reaction Score
LOL.

I tell ya man, three things in life you can bank on in an increasingly uncertain world:

Death
Taxes
Louisville basketball flirting with administrative disaster

Matters not coach, AD, w/l record.....it's a feature not a bug.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I’m mid 30s and remember the Dajuan Wagner recruitment. This is my first “getting old” moment from the world of basketball
I can do better. I remember when Milt (with Lancaster Gordon, Billy Thompson) played for Denny Crum at Louisville. Hell, I had already completed my Bachelors degree before he went to Louisville.

Reaction Score
Why continue these potentially unethical recruiting practices? Can't boosters essentially just pay kids now? Through NIL deals?

Reaction Score
I don’t get the uproar here…. Milt and Kenny are very close, played with each other at Louisville and won an ncaa title. Milt has experience as a coach and his best friend is Kenny Payne.

This isn’t the same as when Cal hired him to get Dejuan. There’s an actual friendship and connection

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Why continue these potentially unethical recruiting practices? Can't boosters essentially just pay kids now? Through NIL deals?
Unethical?
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I mean it’s not like they gave his parents a house…

F Duke

Reaction Score
It's not like Kenny Payne & Milt Wagner were teammates on the 1986 Louisville Championship team or Milt is a LVille legend. Milt has more coaching experience than say Freeman or Talik. I don't find this surprising at all. It would be fun if Callimari hires Dejuan Wagner....

Reaction Score
They’ve really cleaned up their act after Pitino hired recruits’ pimpdaddy.

Reaction Score
Hiring a relative of a recruit is not potentially unethical to you? Are you familiar with the phrase "appearance of a conflict of interest"?
Similar type of conflict as a father-son relationship on a basketball team. Actually, that could result in a direct conflict of interest. See SU.

Reaction Score
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but this is the least shady of these typical moves in my opinion. Milt Wagner is a Louisville legend with tons of coaching experience. Yes, there's a player connection, but it's not like they hired someone who has no Louisville affiliation. I'm pretty sure we flirted with hiring Jimmy Salmon in the mid/late 90s because of his Tim Thomas/Freeman connection. Hell Larry Brown hired Danny Manning's father and won a title. I don't think anyone blames them in the end.

We also hired Jeff Calhoun's dad...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
LOL.

I tell ya man, three things in life you can bank on in an increasingly uncertain world:

Death
Taxes
Louisville basketball flirting with administrative disaster

Matters not coach, AD, w/l record.....it's a feature not a bug.
If by flirting with administrative disaster, you mean cheating their asses off, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom