Louisville Courier Journal | The Boneyard

Louisville Courier Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I understand the plethora of articles on the Louisville men but I do NOT understand the lack of coverage of the surprising Louisville women's team. The Cards have upset two big, big names on their way to a surprising Final Four yet I had to wade through multiple articles on the men's tournament to find one item on the women. Wichita State gets more coverage in the Courier Journal than the Cardinals women. Boo, LCJ!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I understand the plethora of articles on the Louisville men but I do NOT understand the lack of coverage of the surprising Louisville women's team. The Cards have upset two big, big names on their way to a surprising Final Four yet I had to wade through multiple articles on the men's tournament to find one item on the women. Wichita State gets more coverage in the Courier Journal than the Cardinals women. Boo, LCJ!

Sadly, it's still just the way of the world.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
But, but the Yum Center has 75,000 die hard women's basketball fans every home game! It's an absolute Mecca of women's basketball. The BET should be there. The fact it wasn't ever is why the conference is now defunct.

Women's basketball is sacrosanct in Louisville, second only in prestige to the Derby. And Derby, you may Secretariat, but I'm Shoni Shimmel, so watch out- I'm coming for ya!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks for the insight Nan - surprising given the strong following that the women have there in Louisville.

arch

Reaction Score
But, but the Yum Center has 75,000 die hard women's basketball fans every home game! It's an absolute Mecca of women's basketball. The BET should be there. The fact it wasn't ever is why the conference is now defunct.

Women's basketball is sacrosanct in Louisville, second only in prestige to the Derby. And Derby, you may Secretariat, but I'm Shoni Shimmel, so watch out- I'm coming for ya!
The lack of coverage in Louisville is especially dramatic when compared to today's Courant coverage including an editorial page write up (that includes quotes from the Boneyard).

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This is Kentucky, remember. They hear Shoni and they think of the food joint next to KFC in the mall. Why should a food joint get print inches?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
This is Kentucky, remember. They hear Shoni and they think of the food joint next to KFC in the mall. Why should a food joint get print inches?

having grown up in the 'Ville, I'm afraid you're right. Support for many things involving women is about as deep as your local indoor ice rink.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Wow, the animus towards Louisville WCBB from certain BY posters shows no sign of letting up even after their incredible accomplishments and even after losing three players to injuries and having Monique Reid at a much reduced level due to her own injuries. Sounds like knocking off the #1 and #2 seeds Baylor and UTenn would be an accomplishment that we could all cheer the Cardinals for without going snarking silly that they don't somehow put 75,000 spectators in the seats at Yum. And Shoni has averaged 20 pts. in the tourney while taking less than 1/4 of the Cardinals shots, so she's really not the best target for you to rag on unless maybe you're still pissed that she did her little crazy-shot show-up of Griner. I know it was fashionable preseason for you to dump on Louisville for not meeting your own ridiculous expectations of what a half-crippled team should accomplish, but here in April it's just getting ridiculous. They're on a magic run, and enjoy it if you can.

The Louisville Journal Courier could definitely be plugging more women Cardinals stories, though at least it also had a nice editorial yesterday about the two teams from the hoops crazy town going together to the hallowed FF territory. But the #2 ranked guys are by far the highest ranked team in the men's bracket so the Louisville fans naturally feel a little more optimistic about their chances than the women, who no one is really picking to win the NC. If that does happen, I'm taking a wild guess that there may be a wad load of stories on the team, but right now they're on a wait-and-see approach.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The accomplishments of the basketball team are great. The following of their fanbase is questionable. And compared to Tennessee, laughable. Especially regarding hosting a conference tourney or why Mercedes Russell should have selected Louisville over the LVs.

Reaction Score
I wish someone could get Nan's post to the sports editors at the Louisville papers. Maybe they would realize they are short changing their readers who are women's basketball fans. It is really sad the women have not had more publicity. They have a "David who slew Goliath" and it should have been front page sports section "stuff".

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The lack of coverage in Louisville is especially dramatic when compared to today's Courant coverage including an editorial page write up (that includes quotes from the Boneyard).

from Nan's LINKS

Hey! We ARE "The Bone"!!!

"...the well-regarded UConn sports blog The Boneyard ("Destroying worker productivity since 1998")"

"So is the Bone [sic] throwing in the towel? Perish the thought. It's predicting a seven-point UConn win."
"But the Bone [sic] concedes that Notre Dame is the scariest team UConn will face"

The Bone...I like it!!!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The accomplishments of the basketball team are great. The following of their fanbase is questionable. And compared to Tennessee, laughable. Especially regarding hosting a conference tourney or why Mercedes Russell should have selected Louisville over the LVs.
I'm not really sure how to judge the Cardinals WCBB fan base since they had the 2nd best attendance in 2012 behind UTenn and well ahead of 4th place UConn, and they again were nearly 1000 a game ahead of UConn this year. I think a Cardinal fan might even turn it around and say that UConn fans should show their team more support, which I know a lot of the BY would second as it is a subject that comes up a lot. Louisville is aiming high and wants a lot, and I can remember that UTenn and the Summitteers were once irked by an upstart UConn program and its nasty BY dogs for trying to be uppity.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I wish someone could get Nan's post to the sports editors at the Louisville papers. Maybe they would realize they are short changing their readers who are women's basketball fans. It is really sad the women have not had more publicity. They have a "David who slew Goliath" and it should have been front page sports section "stuff".

Front page sports section? This event should have, in some form, made the front page of the newspaper.

Reaction Score
Don't understand DobbRover's animosity. I don't think posters here dissed the Louisville team at all. The criticism seemed directed to lack of coverage and support by their hometown newspaper.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Don't understand DobbRover's animosity. I don't think posters here dissed the Louisville team at all. The criticism seemed directed to lack of coverage and support by their hometown newspaper.
+1

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Ah Nan, perhaps you missed the post near the top dissing the LVille team's fan attendance, Schimmel the elder, their arena, and so on. Maybe count down 1-2-3. There, you got it.

As I pointed out, LVille fans actually turn out in larger number for games than UConn fans, so snarking on them is misplaced. As to the papers, maybe the Horde there doesn't have the experience of getting things set up like UConn's does, and they weren't able to switch the guys writing about the men's team off to the women at tourney time like the CT Post could. LVille is still very proud of both teams and if you visit the LVille athletics site you will be greeted by one of those annoying "Get your Tourney tickets" screens that is equally split between the men and the women's smiling faces.

And you obviously did not read all of the LVille-bashing preseason threads on the BY, which still seem to be echoing around a bit.

Reaction Score
Went to 3rd article. Seems to me it said there were many fans at the Yum.
As for previous postings about Louisville, I was responding to this particular posting but since you have opened previous thoughts,
perhaps encouraging your team to play "street ball" sets a tone that not everyone embraces..
I was cheering for the Cardinals Sunday and hope they continue their winning play this coming Sunday giving their Coach another reason to smirk behind his hand- of course with good reason for how could you not have a smirk/smile when you are beating #1. Bet he wanted to leap and do cartwheels.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
The LCJ is probably off reviewing banana slicers.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

If there is no demand for publicity and coverage, the media will not cover it. The media is a for-profit business. There is no "entitlement" to media coverage or publicity of women's basketball.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Went to 3rd article. Seems to me it said there were many fans at the Yum.
As for previous postings about Louisville, I was responding to this particular posting but since you have opened previous thoughts,
perhaps encouraging your team to play "street ball" sets a tone that not everyone embraces..
I was cheering for the Cardinals Sunday and hope they continue their winning play this coming Sunday giving their Coach another reason to smirk behind his hand- of course with good reason for how could you not have a smirk/smile when you are beating #1. Bet he wanted to leap and do cartwheels.
Wow, so a women's coach telling his players to play street ball is bad but is fine for the guys because they're guys and everyone in the MCBB plays that way to some extent or greater extent, but to have a WCBB tell his players that to beat the #1 team in WCBB that they need to go to the next level, tough it out, and play "street ball" is just oh-my, maybe unladylike. Jeff, how could you? If you keep smirking like that the Summiteers will start calling you Geno Jr. Just make sure you land those cartwheels properly.

Yes, Nan, we get the point. I'm sure you actually were cheering the Cardinals to knock off Baylor and open things up for the rest of the pack. But now that Jeff has done his job, he's a smirk jerk. And in case you did not understand the sarcasm in post #3, no it was not saying that the Yum packs in 75,000 fans per game, but rather that it doesn't. Understand now? It's more like a highly decent WCBB average of 9,600. UConn is currently a ways below that. Sneering at the Cardinals' fan base makes us UConn fans look a bit ignorant and arrogant. But you are free to go back to criticizing the breadth of Walz's smirk, and maybe you can convince the Vol fans that it's a few inches wider than the one they have drawn up for Geno.

Reaction Score
If there is no demand for publicity and coverage, the media will not cover it. The media is a for-profit business. There is no "entitlement" to media coverage or publicity of women's basketball.
It's kind of hard to indicate demand when there are thought police running about telling those who might deman d that there is no demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom