Louisville agrees to pay 11 million, and leaves 18 million to exit AAC | The Boneyard

Louisville agrees to pay 11 million, and leaves 18 million to exit AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How bad is the AAC? They are giving up more money than Maryland will probably end up paying to leave the ACC.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
I'll take it.

The war chest keeps getting bigger and bigger...plus we get the BCS payout $$$ this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How bad is the AAC? They are giving up more money than Maryland will probably end up paying to leave the ACC.
Leaving the ACC for the B1G is like moving from Westport to Greenwich
Leaving the AAC for the ACC is like moving from Bridgeport to Westport

Who do you think is more excited about the move?

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Just a few million each way. I miss the 3-way splits :(

There is no 3 way split...the "war chest" gets split 60-40 new schools/old schools...UConn/Cincy/USF have to share with the class.

Reaction Score
There is no 3 way split...the "war chest" gets split 60-40 new schools/old schools...UConn/Cincy/USF have to share with the class.

You mean 60-40 old schools/new schools unless you're talking specifically about Louisville and and Rutgers exit fees. . .

Reaction Score
Oh boy, the Memphis reading comprehension skills are already rearing their ugly head.
Eh. No reason to be a jerk to a fan who has yet to do anything to deserve it.

Reaction Score
If this info is correct, doesn't it make Aresco press conference we're he never mentioned UConn and lauded Louisville even more bizarre. We thought at the time is was due to the consensus of opinions having us going to the ACC.

Could it be that Aresco prime focus was on collecting exit fees.
Say what you want this conference is not hurting for cash.
Unfortunately the boys in Providence have all the money.

Reaction Score
If this info is correct, doesn't it make Aresco press conference we're he never mentioned UConn and lauded Louisville even more bizarre. We thought at the time is was due to the consensus of opinions having us going to the ACC.

My guess is simply that Aresco thought UL had nowhere to go and as someone else surmised, the Big East/AAC wasn't kicking them out anyway.

Reaction Score
My guess is simply that Aresco thought UL had nowhere to go and as someone else surmised, the Big East/AAC wasn't kicking them out anyway.

I think he might have known there was no other offer and it sounds like he was trying to flatter Lousiville into staying... *smacks face onto desk*. The balls of the Louisville AD to just stick with we're going to be in another conference anyway are nba fine worthy

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Very gracious of them. I think I almost will feel badly when we win the regular season and conference tournament championships from them...almost.

Reaction Score
I find the timing of this odd, a week after the UL prez made his comments. Seems to me UL is putting preassure on the ACC,

Reaction Score
Leaving the ACC for the B1G is like moving from Westport to Greenwich
Leaving the AAC for the ACC is like moving from Bridgeport to Westport

Who do you think is more excited about the move?

I dunno. Been to Westport lately? I'm thinking Westport is more like the Old Greenwich than Greenwich is.

Reaction Score
Folks, he thought he was going to the B12. But he never actually handed in the letter. That explains why they didn't leave and why they weren't penalized (by lack of revenues).

He thought Ville was gone, but WV took their spot. Then he was glad he didn't send the letter in.

Put it this way: the exit fee back when he informed the BE that Ville was leaving was $5 million.

So why did he pay $11 million?

What we have here is a willingness to settle out of court because the BE realizes it convinced him not to send the letter in back in 2011 (so by doing that the BE makes $6m more than it otherwise would have), and conversely Louisville realizes that if it had actually sent the letter in (and later been rejected by the B12) it would have been out some Big East/American revenues.

In other words, this had the makings of a court battle, and both sides settled. I happen to think the BE's case was stronger. Effectively, if Ville had given that letter in back then, they would have been out 1 year of revenues.

Reaction Score
Folks, he thought he was going to the B12. But he never actually handed in the letter. That explains why they didn't leave and why they weren't penalized (by lack of revenues).

He thought Ville was gone, but WV took their spot. Then he was glad he didn't send the letter in.

Put it this way: the exit fee back when he informed the BE that Ville was leaving was $5 million.

So why did he pay $11 million?

What we have here is a willingness to settle out of court because the BE realizes it convinced him not to send the letter in back in 2011 (so by doing that the BE makes $6m more than it otherwise would have), and conversely Louisville realizes that if it had actually sent the letter in (and later been rejected by the B12) it would have been out some Big East/American revenues.

In other words, this had the makings of a court battle, and both sides settled. I happen to think the BE's case was stronger. Effectively, if Ville had given that letter in back then, they would have been out 1 year of revenues.

ESPN's spin is Jurich saved $4 Million. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...m-jurich-saves-4-million-louisville-cardinals

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

Folks, he thought he was going to the B12.
^^^^This. TJ and 'Ville were angling for Big 12 move. I'm sure they tried the ACC and SEC at the time too, but this was long before the Maryland to B1G move. I still believe that Swofford thought the presidents would vote for UConn to replace Maryland and told Aresco this (because they are friends and Aresco is on record as stating Swofford would take only 1 school - not 3 as some media outlets had speculated). Hence, Aresco never mentioned UConn in the Tulane press-conference and touting Louisville instead.

Reaction Score
^^^^This. TJ and 'Ville were angling for Big 12 move. I'm sure they tried the ACC and SEC at the time too, but this was long before the Maryland to B1G move. I still believe that Swofford thought the presidents would vote for UConn to replace Maryland and told Aresco this (because they are friends and Aresco is on record as stating Swofford would take only 1 school - not 3 as some media outlets had speculated). Hence, Aresco never mentioned UConn in the Tulane press-conference and touting Louisville instead.
Okay that makes some sense
The Big 12 ship had sailed for Louisville .

In retrospect the Big 12 should have taken them, Cinn, and West Va.
They thought they could get Fla State and Clemson but they don't fit as well in the Big 12 footprint as the former schools mentioned.

He thought he was losing UConn so he was kissing Louisville Butt
He was a pretty desperate man.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Okay that makes some sense
The Big 12 ship had sailed for Louisville .

In retrospect the Big 12 should have taken them, Cinn, and West Va.
They thought they could get Fla State and Clemson but they don't fit as well in the Big 12 footprint as the former schools mentioned.

He thought he was losing UConn so he was kissing Louisville Butt
He was a pretty desperate man.
I wonder if the Big 12 between now and July 1, 2014 would seriously consider taking Louisville before they officially go to the ACC. Not sure if Louisville has interest at this point (look at WVU). But if 'Ville did prefer Big 12 for whatever reason, I'm thinking they can back out of the ACC exit fee/GOR since they never played a game in the conference and weren't officially members -- I'm sure they would owe the ACC something, but not $30million plus TV rights (even if that's Swofford's stance). UConn swoops into the ACC and pays the AAC $25million on the way out -- done and done. But what would be the pro's for Louisville to join the Big 12 vs. ACC?

Please excuse me for fantasizing about ways out of this hell hole.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the Big 12 between now and July 1, 2014 would seriously consider taking Louisville before they officially go to the ACC. Not sure if Louisville has interest at this point (look at WVU). But if 'Ville did prefer Big 12 for whatever reason, I'm thinking they can back out of the ACC exit fee/GOR since they never played a game in the conference and weren't officially members -- I'm sure they would owe the ACC something, but not $30million plus TV rights (even if that's Swofford's stance). UConn swoops into the ACC and pays the AAC $25million on the way out -- done and done. But what would be the pro's for Louisville to join the Big 12 vs. ACC?

Please excuse me for fantasizing about ways out of this hell hole.
Only if Cinn makes 12
If the Big 12 is required to have CCG then they probably would defray some of the costs.
Its actually a decently compact league and those additions enable it to claim BB superiority. The ACC probably is a little more stable.
and there is no Texas.
However, Louisville is in the ACC. Unless something crazy happens in Marylands exit. Isn't it nice to have choices. The Cards are sitting in the Cat Bird seat. Bad pun intended.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
At least we'll make some money over the next 5 years...it's actually good money for UConn, Cincy, and USF

Reaction Score
At least we'll make some money over the next 5 years...it's actually good money for UConn, Cincy, and USF
If we can get five teams in the tourney a few deep the money will continue to come in.
This conference is image poor but flush with cash.
With enough money you can change your image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom