Lou | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I never said them losing the final four was her fault. Where did you read that in my post? I said she has struggled in every final four she has played in and she has. I said she just doesn't have the killer instinct and she doesn't. Y'all act like I said she was trash or something.
Not sure how you rate an entire game's performance, but when the game was on the line in 2nd half, Lou stepped up. I believe she came close to scoring most points in NCAA 2nd half. Even her last few misses may not be totally her fault. Normally every team has a play or two for the end of the game. Looked like Lou was told to run around the 3-point line and get open. Didn't see any picks, flow etc. Didn't happen.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Trivia question: KLS is the first UConn graduate to NOT play in a National Championship game in a long time. Who was the last UConn player who did not play in a NC game? ( Not counting bench warmers.)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Trivia question: KLS is the first UConn graduate to NOT play in a National Championship game in a long time. Who was the last UConn player who did not play in a NC game? ( Not counting bench warmers.)
Z

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The motive is simply to have conversations about my favorite player playing in her last NCAA tourney. I didn't know folks around here was so sensitive.

Define "Killer Instinct" or your opinion of what it is?

Reaction Score
The posters who have a dissenting opinion about Lou's "killer instinct" are not enemies of KLS. They are, in fact, fans. Not sure how you all define killer instinct but I think it's someone who puts a team on their back in the clutch and leads that team to victory. I'm not a big fan of DT or Arike O. but I respect their ability to do as I have stated. Not sure how often Maya did so at UCONN but she has had a killer instinct in the pros. Stewie as well. Other than this group, I don't feel any UCONN player has had a true killer instinct in recent years. That includes KLS, Pheesa, Gabby, Kia, etc., some of my all-time favorites. It has little to do with who has had the best stats as a UCONN player, it!' about who leads a team to victory in the end "when the game is on the line". And more than once or twice.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
The posters who have a dissenting opinion about Lou's "killer instinct" are not enemies of KLS. They are, in fact, fans. Not sure how you all define killer instinct but I think it's someone who puts a team on their back in the clutch and leads that team to victory. I'm not a big fan of DT or Arike O. but I respect their ability to do as I have stated. Not sure how often Maya did so at UCONN but she has had a killer instinct in the pros. Stewie as well. Other than this group, I don't feel any UCONN player has had a true killer instinct in recent years. That includes KLS, Pheesa, Gabby, Kia, etc., some of my all-time favorites. It has little to do with who has had the best stats as a UCONN player, it!' about who leads a team to victory in the end "when the game is on the line". And more than once or twice.

I sure thought Stewie exhibited a "killer instinct" in her freshman year when she carried the team on her back to a victory over ND in the post-season and a championship and MOP award. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For someone who claims that Lou is their favorite player, you really don’t know much about her. Lou was named a 1st team AA this year along with Pheesa by the WBCA, the D1 coaches association. That makes 3 years in a row as a 1st team AA for Lou.
They're like 3 all american lists but the WBCA doesn't even have a first, second, or third team, they just pick the top ten players and the rest are honorable mention. I was speaking on the AP and ESPN lists that do. She was 3rd team on one and second team on the other.

Reaction Score
They're like 3 all american lists but the WBCA doesn't even have a first, second, or third team, they just pick the top ten players and the rest are honorable mention. I was speaking on the AP and ESPN lists that do. She was 3rd team on one and second team on the other.

So what

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The WBCA is one of the two lists that you must be on to get on the WOF according to Geno. If I remeber correctly it was the first one that was used for the WOF.

Reaction Score
Not sure if understand the timing and choice of words in your post but that is exactly what you are saying. She scored 20 pts in the second half of the game. What else you expect a player to CONTRIBUTE to help a team win? 20 second half points is not enough of an instinct? Against LV her performance was not enough of an instinct to take control of game?

Besides hitting the last shot last year Arike had a bad game. Your same argument of not scoring first half pts in a FF game can be used against her. I guess the way you judge killer instincts is you take a team that relies at end of games to give it to a one on one player that will always take the shot. Yes Arike made some and had a great run in the last 30 seconds of a game last year but there are plenty she missed too that put her team in the position to have to make that shot..

Your timing could not be more off, but since you just joined the board I would not expect you to understand. Take a second and reflect on what myself and others have shared back instead of just arguing. Did you acknowledge the poster that posted her stats and play in those other FF games? Did you see her in other games over the years in big games against LV and Maryland? Did you see her step up in 2nd half of ND earlier this year when game was still close with 15 pts (with Turner guarding her?)

If you still feel the same then you are entitled to you opinion and thanks for sharing.
Not scoring in an entire half of basketball is struggling to me but basketball is more than just scoring. I'm talking about the entirety of the game. And yes I did respond to that individual who posted those stats.

Reaction Score
Well, not counting the final four she didn't play in her freshmen year, the next one she was a no-show offensively and defensively. Last year, same thing, and Jackie Young abused her on offense. This one was her best performance by far and yet she scored zero points in the first half, missed a key layup at the end, and had TWO rebounds. She's my favorite player on the team and the reason why I watch them play but let's not pretend like she hasn't struggled in the final four now. I think most of that has to do with the physicality of these game but some of it is mental as well. And like I said, she's a great basketball player but she does not have a killer instinct. She's not as mentally tough as those players I mentioned. Number one ranked recruit of this senior class and yet Arike has outperformed her two years in a row. Arike has that killer instinct that Lou does not and I can't stand her but it's the truth and the truth hurts sometimes.
Arike had the benefit of Notre Dame dominating the offensive glass and getting wide open shots when the original shot missed and UConn defenders were totally out of position from trying to secure defensive rebounds. If Katie Lou were on Notre Dame, she would have had forty points in the second half alone. If there was someone who disappeared, particularly late in the game, I would have said Napheesa. Who had better shooting statistics, Arike or KLS? The physicality of the game wore down the Huskies, to say the least. We needed some more size and the only one that gave us any is a freshman who isn't overly physical herself and needs seasoning.

Reaction Score
Thank you and Geno has said as much in one of his press conferences during the tourney. This team hasn't had it the last 3 years and that's why they lost the same way in the final four the last 3 years. He said all of his championship teams have had an iconic player who steps up in big games and takes over. He says this team has a couple of great players but not like the Iconic ones of this championship teams and he's right.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m going to have to call BS on you. You didn’t originally qualify your remark as applying to some AA teams, but not others. For what it’s worth, the WBCA earns a Husky a spot on the wall as a HOH, as does AP. ESPN does not. And frankly, since it’s voted on by the D1 coaches, it is probably the most authoritative and esteemed AA team of all.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Ok, well those were the only lists with actual teams so I assumed they were talking about those, that's what.
The only one that the COACHES vote is the WBCA, the others is a bunch of writers or ESPN, which sometimes appear to be more for show then their knowledge of basketball.

Reaction Score
I’m going to have to call BS on you. You didn’t originally qualify your remark as applying to some AA teams, but not others. For what it’s worth, the WBCA earns a Husky a spot on the wall as a HOH, as does AP. ESPN does not. And frankly, since it’s voted on by the D1 coaches, it is probably the most authoritative and esteemed AA team of all.
No, the poster says 3 time FIRST team all American. WBCA does not have a first team, there is only one team, the rest are honorable mention. If he would have said 3 time WBCA all american then that would be different. How can you be a first team all american on a list with only one team?

Reaction Score
The only one that the COACHES vote is the WBCA, the others is a bunch of writers or ESPN, which sometimes appear to be more for show then their knowledge of basketball.
I understand this, still does not have a first team.

Reaction Score
Who had the killer instinct when Breanna Stewart was on the team? If you took her off that team, would they have won even one National Championship? Does that mean that Morgan and Mo didn't have the killer instinct? Notre Dame has four seniors and one junior starting. UConn has two seniors, one junior, one sophomore, and one freshman starting. Their first sub off the bench is a freshman. Hardly the same level of talent. If UConn had 4 seniors and 1 junior, the game might have turned out differently.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No, the poster says 3 time FIRST team all American. WBCA does not have a first team, there is only one team, the rest are honorable mention. If he would have said 3 time WBCA all american then that would be different. How can you be a first team all american on a list with only one team?
You’re not really serious, are you? If there is only one team, then it’s 1st team AA.

Let’s talk about the HOH. Geno set the criteria for players to be named to the HOH as earning 1st team AA honors. In 2016 Tuck was named to the WBCA AA 1st team. It was the one and only 1st team honor Tuck received, and, as a result her name was put on the HOH.

If Geno says the WBCA AA is 1st team, then it’s 1st team.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I understand this, still does not have a first team.
It never has, it takes the top ten vote getters and they are consider the WBCA All-Americans. This is the OLDEST women's basketball All-American award and it considered the MOST coveted, because ONLY the coaches are the voters.

Reaction Score
How many games have been on the line in the waning moments of these past four years???? Not a whole lot and Katie has always been a selfless person who plays a team game and shares the ball continually. Isn't that one of the things about UConn women's basketball that most people here on the Boneyard love??? Arike is a mad bomber and with a team as good as ours, she probably would have been pulled to the bench on a number of occasions if she played for Geno and played as much one on four or one on five as I've seen her do on a lot of occasions for the Irish. That's not the pure game that Geno likes his team playing so just how many chances to take over a game in the waning moments has KLS actually had??????

Reaction Score
I sure thought Stewie exhibited a "killer instinct" in her freshman year when she carried the team on her back to a victory over ND in the post-season and a championship and MOP award. :cool:

I should qualify my statement. Stewie didn't need a "killer instinct" as a college athlete because she was rarely challenged. However, she has exhibited it in the WNBA out of necessity. Maya too. Once again, this has nothing to do with who has the best stats or made this AA team or that. And I don't care whether or not Arike had wide open shots, she made them. And for someone to make a statement that KLS would have had 40 points given the same situation as Arike is just ridiculous. You just don't know. You can't know. Remember, the ability to execute under pressure is critical. Honestly, the last truly clutch shot (or play) a UCONN player made with a game on the line that I can recall is Kia stealing the inbound pass against ND with time running out in last year's FF and racing down the floor to tie the game (yeah, I know one of you thinks she got away with a travel, but it counted either way).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom