Lou | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lou

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
th
Exactly, especially when compared to Ionescu. Different positions, and completely different team roles/dynamics, as has been pointed out already. Oh, and the same with Stewie.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I hite the MBA, so hu kares about spilling.
Well then we have something in common, I also hate the Not Basketball Anymore along with that new showboating thing, MCBB.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The OP 1st Post is a caption this:

Miss Miss Lou I need to pad my stats!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Right now she's the next tier. But maybe she cracks that top tier before it's all said and done. I never like to pidgeon hole anyone.
MAYBE? Wwwwhhhiiirrrllll, that’s a 2 minute thread misconduct penalty on Justine’s Guy. Please step away from your keyboard for the duration of the Penalty! :)

Reaction Score
Great post and capture many of the the thoughts and feelings I have towards Lou. A few thoughts. While you ask a few of your questions I think you are answering them correctly.

#1 UConn has better talent and Lou plays to the talent around her.
#2 I have seen her box out and watch Gabby, Pheesa, or Z grab the rebound many times.
#3 She cares zero about stats and so does UConn/Geno. I say this because she comes out of games where she could have even more impressive numbers. She could have had a triple double on Saturday.
#4 Lou has had those moments but they will look different. It does not happen as often because UConn is rarely in the position where they need one person to carry them and Lou can differ because of other mismatches on the floor. Maryland, part of Notre Dame before injury, Stanford this year, etc... are all games where she dominated in key moments.
#5 Quite frankly she does not have the speed to always generate the same perimeter mismatch as a ball dominant guard. I actually think on a different team we would see her dominate more on the inside which I wish they would still do more even with other front court players.
#6 Sabrina is the real deal and a great player. I have no issue putting her at that level.
I like and agree with all of your points but #4 & #5 in particular. I think she has a pretty unique skill set, some because of her size. The mental / emotional components of the game bodes well for her continued improvement.
She is a joy to watch even when she's sitting on the bench cheering for her teammates.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
MAYBE? Wwwwhhhiiirrrllll, that’s a 2 minute thread misconduct penalty on Justine’s Guy. Please step away from your keyboard for the duration of the Penalty! :)

I just think Maya, DT, and Stewie are never coming off that mountain. I think for the people that remember Lobo and see what she did in WNBA will feel pretty strong about her.

Lou, bird, bascum, Charles..... IDK.

Reaction Score
No one is close to Maya, Stewie, and "D," no one.
I agree that the three of them are at the top at U Conn and amongst the greatest of all time!
I'd only like to say if KLS continues to improve as much as she has during her time at U Conn in the little more than another year, she may well be close. She's already close to the three of them on the offensive end of the game. If her rebounding, defense and she begins to block shots, watch out!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Before you lay too large a crown on Sabrina's head you may want to look at her stats vs the two best teams Oregon played this year, MSU and UL. She's a wonderful player, but they haven't played enough high level games that she took over yet to put her clearly above the top college players to me.
I understand your points but when your only a sophomore and made the impact she already has you are already there. Her triple doubles stats are scarily good. She plays in a very good conference so she faces strong competition regularly.
To each his or her their own!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I agree that the three of them are at the top at U Conn and amongst the greatest of all time!
I'd only like to say if KLS continues to improve as much as she has during her time at U Conn in the little more than another year, she may well be close. She's already close to the three of them on the offensive end of the game. If her rebounding, defense and she begins to block shots, watch out!
Bronx23

Did you watch Lobo?
Do u know how good she was at Uconn then in pro's?
Do u really think KLS can be take lobos spot?

Reaction Score
Did you watch Lobo?
Do u know how good she was at Uconn then in pro's?
Do u really think KLS can be take lobos spot?
I have nothing negative to say about Lobo or the other greats mentioned here.
As in many things it's a matter of taste. It's impossible to compare players with such different positions and skill sets.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I have nothing negative to say about Lobo or the other greats mentioned here.
As in many things it's a matter of taste. It's impossible to compare players with such different positions and skill sets.
Bronx23

True. It's hard to compare eras too. The modern athlete is so far advanced in pace of play and shooting. KLS is such an amazing shooter. Would Lobo be as dominant in today's game? It's such a talk radio or message board topic though.
I still need to put Lobo there. So hard though

Reaction Score
I am a huge KLS supporter and cheerleader but I saw something yesterday that made it clearer to me something that I've commented on about her a few times here previously.
The only thing I've been waiting for is to see her literally take over, in a big, close game.
Last night I watched Sabrina Ionescu totally take over and control her teams game. She couldn't / wouldn't be stopped. Until that game, I thought KLS was #1 and Ionescu #2 for NPOY. Now I'm
not sure and this surely isn't a criticism of KLS to be compared with Ionescu, who I think either already is or will be the best point guard to ever play women's basketball.
I'm not sure if it's the position they play(one's a point guard the other a point forward) which makes the difference here or its either their mentality and / or the teams culture.
KLS seems to allow the game to come to her. On one hand I love that about her, that's she's almost selfless and a total team player. But when we lost last year semi-final to MS, and KLS had an ok game (only Gabby played very well), we needed someone to take over the game and the offense. I don't know if there will be a game or some moments this year, when that will be necessary again. Maybe it's the style U Conn plays but I think DT, MM & Stewie within this style and culture did what I am waiting for. It also maybe KLS's makeup to stay within herself.
It might be she either doesn't want to play that way, or that's what separates her from the Big Three here and beyond. And to clarify I'm not talking about her just shooting the ball. She might be the best true outside shooter of those four, and she's surely one of the better passers(and that's also essential to taking over as when they close on her to pass to the open player). I'm talking about a mindset. To be able to personally will her team to victory.
It exists in the greats of any team in team sports. It surely won't be terrible if she can't or doesn't reach those heights, but I think it's reachable for her. Maybe it's as simple as looking at triple doubles where she just got her first and Ionescu is breaking all-time records. I heard KLS in one of the pressers talking about how sometimes she defers to Gabby and Pheesa in going after rebounds. While she's becoming a much better rebounder, she's needs to exhibit a ferocity to go after each and every one.
As Fairfield Fan had said, she may well have shown the most improvement of any U Conn women's basketball player of all time. I think what I'm hoping for is her continuing to strive to make herself better and be able to just take over a game when needed and called for.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
If KLS played at Oregon she'd average an efficient 30-35 a game because the coach would feel compelled to enable her to and they would win more. Her all-around ability would also expand in that kind of environment. At UConn she doesn't have that kind of individual freedom and probably never will.

Reaction Score
No one is close to Maya, Stewie, and "D," no one.
Maya is clearly the best player in UConn history and one of the 2 or 3 in WCBB history. However, remember Maya only won 2 NCAA titles. I think it was because she did not have that individual freedom. And, before you people go crazy about the coach's great success remember Wooden won 7 STRAIGHT MEN'S titles. The women's equivelent would be at least 10.

Reaction Score
KLS has a chance to become a cross between Maya and EDD but I don't think it's going to happen while she's at UConn. I see Stevens becoming the team's leading scorer next year. Next season KLS could be reverted back to a 3pt shooter and that would be a sad thing to see. I don't see the offense ever being built around her.

JS

Reaction Score
Maya is clearly the best player in UConn history and one of the 2 or 3 in WCBB history. However, remember Maya only won 2 NCAA titles. I think it was because she did not have that individual freedom.
What a bitter pill for such a player to win only two titles. Definitely would have been three or four if she'd been coached better -- allowed to freelance more and not be such a team player.

Nothing to do with the strength of her teammates or the opposition in her era. And those teammates would've contributed even more than they did if they'd had the opportunity to stand around watching her freelance.

And, before you people go crazy about the coach's great success remember Wooden won 7 STRAIGHT MEN'S titles. The women's equivelent would be at least 10.
This illustrates an important point, which is that Geno hasn't been as successful as he . . . um, would've been if he didn't make the best players play within the team concept. And Wooden's record proves it. Somehow. Over and out.

JS

Reaction Score
If KLS played at Oregon she'd average an efficient 30-35 a game because the coach would feel compelled to enable her to and they would win more. Her all-around ability would also expand in that kind of environment. At UConn she doesn't have that kind of individual freedom and probably never will.
Aha. The plot thickens. KLS is being misused just like Maya was.

So with more "freedom" she'd improve as an all-around player -- e.g. who passes better, rebounds better, plays better defense and makes her teammates better -- all while going more for her own points.

Makes sense to me.

Reaction Score
Maya is clearly the best player in UConn history and one of the 2 or 3 in WCBB history. However, remember Maya only won 2 NCAA titles. I think it was because she did not have that individual freedom. And, before you people go crazy about the coach's great success remember Wooden won 7 STRAIGHT MEN'S titles. The women's equivelent would be at least 10.
You have some axe to grind clearly!
Maya was always headed for greatness but Geno and U Conn took her game to another level within that very team concept!
Would we rather have her play like a Kelsey Mitchell whose a great scorer but makes no one better around her, just herself. Last I looked Ohio State got whooped by was it an #11 seed, and is out in the second round.
I'm sorry but before and even now was there someone named Diana Taurasi?? Clearly Huh!! Yes many can and will argue whose better but they are right there with one another. And I guess Stewie, while younger and being earlier in her own career, being the star of only four consecutive NC, isn't close!
DUH!
Not sure what game(s) your watching!
But enjoy it!
Bronx23

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Just a little aside. Look at the difference in the position of the hands of the two trail players in the pic. The details the details the details are the keys to UConn

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I believe ...
Maya is the best pure player I have ever seen.
Stewie could do more things better than anyone.
Gabby is the best athlete.
No one forces their team to win like D.
All great. All different. All uncomparable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom