Lou

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
lou 1.jpg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For me, she is the emotional light of the team. I just loved the Z post game presser where Lou is cracking Z up giving her a back massage and whispering in her ear. You need someone to keep things fun and light when things are so serious. A true beacon. :D

Reaction Score
For me, she is the emotional light of the team. I just loved the Z post game presser where Lou is cracking Z up giving her a back massage and whispering in her ear. You need someone to keep things fun and light when things are so serious. A true beacon. :D
So so true!
And it comes with enormous grit, perseverance, constant striving for bettering herself BUT always with the team being put first!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Lou is steady, consistent, smart, and dependable ...although no one will compare to Stewie , Lou is close
Agree with all positive comments. Seemed a bit tentative after 1st Quarter-hope ankle is ok.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The best assist of the game was the one that Lou threw to Pheesa before she was open. Kara commented about it and the play by play announcer (forgot his name), said it was like a QB leading his receiver.

Reaction Score
Lou is steady, consistent, smart, and dependable ...although no one will compare to Stewie , Lou is close

Right now she's the next tier. But maybe she cracks that top tier before it's all said and done. I never like to pidgeon hole anyone.

Reaction Score
I am a huge KLS supporter and cheerleader but I saw something yesterday that made it clearer to me something that I've commented on about her a few times here previously.
The only thing I've been waiting for is to see her literally take over, in a big, close game.
Last night I watched Sabrina Ionescu totally take over and control her teams game. She couldn't / wouldn't be stopped. Until that game, I thought KLS was #1 and Ionescu #2 for NPOY. Now I'm
not sure and this surely isn't a criticism of KLS to be compared with Ionescu, who I think either already is or will be the best point guard to ever play women's basketball.
I'm not sure if it's the position they play(one's a point guard the other a point forward) which makes the difference here or its either their mentality and / or the teams culture.
KLS seems to allow the game to come to her. On one hand I love that about her, that's she's almost selfless and a total team player. But when we lost last year semi-final to MS, and KLS had an ok game (only Gabby played very well), we needed someone to take over the game and the offense. I don't know if there will be a game or some moments this year, when that will be necessary again. Maybe it's the style U Conn plays but I think DT, MM & Stewie within this style and culture did what I am waiting for. It also maybe KLS's makeup to stay within herself.
It might be she either doesn't want to play that way, or that's what separates her from the Big Three here and beyond. And to clarify I'm not talking about her just shooting the ball. She might be the best true outside shooter of those four, and she's surely one of the better passers(and that's also essential to taking over as when they close on her to pass to the open player). I'm talking about a mindset. To be able to personally will her team to victory.
It exists in the greats of any team in team sports. It surely won't be terrible if she can't or doesn't reach those heights, but I think it's reachable for her. Maybe it's as simple as looking at triple doubles where she just got her first and Ionescu is breaking all-time records. I heard KLS in one of the pressers talking about how sometimes she defers to Gabby and Pheesa in going after rebounds. While she's becoming a much better rebounder, she's needs to exhibit a ferocity to go after each and every one.
As Fairfield Fan had said, she may well have shown the most improvement of any U Conn women's basketball player of all time. I think what I'm hoping for is her continuing to strive to make herself better and be able to just take over a game when needed and called for.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Right now she's the next tier. But maybe she cracks that top tier before it's all said and done. I never like to pidgeon hole anyone.
If UConn wins it all and she plays a significant role in critical spots that will help elevate her status... do it both this year and next and she is on the Mount. Many ifs but part of the fun of watching basketball in March.

Reaction Score
I am a huge KLS supporter and cheerleader but I saw something yesterday that made it clearer to me something that I've commented on about her a few times here previously.
The only thing I've been waiting for is to see her literally take over, in a big, close game.
Last night I watched Sabrina Ionescu totally take over and control her teams game. She couldn't / wouldn't be stopped. Until that game, I thought KLS was #1 and Ionescu #2 for NPOY. Now I'm
not sure and this surely isn't a criticism of KLS to be compared with Ionescu, who I think either already is or will be the best point guard to ever play women's basketball.
I'm not sure if it's the position they play(one's a point guard the other a point forward) which makes the difference here or its either their mentality and / or the teams culture.
KLS seems to allow the game to come to her. On one hand I love that about her, that's she's almost selfless and a total team player. But when we lost last year semi-final to MS, and KLS had an ok game (only Gabby played very well), we needed someone to take over the game and the offense. I don't know if there will be a game or some moments this year, when that will be necessary again. Maybe it's the style U Conn plays but I think DT, MM & Stewie within this style and culture did what I am waiting for. It also maybe KLS's makeup to stay within herself.
It might be she either doesn't want to play that way, or that's what separates her from the Big Three here and beyond. And to clarify I'm not talking about her just shooting the ball. She might be the best true outside shooter of those four, and she's surely one of the better passers(and that's also essential to taking over as when they close on her to pass to the open player). I'm talking about a mindset. To be able to personally will her team to victory.
It exists in the greats of any team in team sports. It surely won't be terrible if she can't or doesn't reach those heights, but I think it's reachable for her. Maybe it's as simple as looking at triple doubles where she just got her first and Ionescu is breaking all-time records. I heard KLS in one of the pressers talking about how sometimes she defers to Gabby and Pheesa in going after rebounds. While she's becoming a much better rebounder, she's needs to exhibit a ferocity to go after each and every one.
As Fairfield Fan had said, she may well have shown the most improvement of any U Conn women's basketball player of all time. I think what I'm hoping for is her continuing to strive to make herself better and be able to just take over a game when needed and called for.
Bronx23
Great post and capture many of the the thoughts and feelings I have towards Lou. A few thoughts. While you ask a few of your questions I think you are answering them correctly.

#1 UConn has better talent and Lou plays to the talent around her.
#2 I have seen her box out and watch Gabby, Pheesa, or Z grab the rebound many times.
#3 She cares zero about stats and so does UConn/Geno. I say this because she comes out of games where she could have even more impressive numbers. She could have had a triple double on Saturday.
#4 Lou has had those moments but they will look different. It does not happen as often because UConn is rarely in the position where they need one person to carry them and Lou can differ because of other mismatches on the floor. Maryland, part of Notre Dame before injury, Stanford this year, etc... are all games where she dominated in key moments.
#5 Quite frankly she does not have the speed to always generate the same perimeter mismatch as a ball dominant guard. I actually think on a different team we would see her dominate more on the inside which I wish they would still do more even with other front court players.
#6 Sabrina is the real deal and a great player. I have no issue putting her at that level.

Reaction Score
If she has to take over a game, there's a problem. That's not how Geno wants the game played nor how they play when playing well. Think back to Maya's senior year- even she couldn't her last game by herself. That was the genius of DT- doing what was needed to win while elevating the game the team played. Lou has shown the capacity to fill the gaps this year.

Reaction Score
Bronx23

This post is very fair. They are both very talented.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

She’s not quite as athletic as Stewie and not the spectacular shot blocker, but she hs really managed her defense to a good level and her offense being very Stewie like. Stewie came in being a threat inside and out. KLS came in a more consistent outside shooter than Stewie, but little inside game. She’s developed so well she is great around the rim with both hands, a great mid-range shooter, and effective rebounder and passer including outlet passing. I think on offense she’s just about as unguardable as Stewie, missing only the crazy hops. Of all the players we’ve had, the one player I’d compare her to just in terms of making the jump from very good to super star is Charles.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Bronx23

Before you lay too large a crown on Sabrina's head you may want to look at her stats vs the two best teams Oregon played this year, MSU and UL. She's a wonderful player, but they haven't played enough high level games that she took over yet to put her clearly above the top college players to me.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

No one is close to Maya, Stewie, and "D," no one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom