Lou Spanos: Energy, desire to improve still there for UConn football despite blowout loss to Middle Tennessee State (Courant) | The Boneyard

Lou Spanos: Energy, desire to improve still there for UConn football despite blowout loss to Middle Tennessee State (Courant)

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

-> Spanos, his staff and the current Huskies roster have three more games to salvage something from the season, but first a two-week bye that will mean 22 days between the Middle Tennessee State game and the next game, at Clemson on Nov. 13.

“I’ve had two weeks of byes throughout my career,” said Spanos, 50, who has spent most of his coaching career in the NFL. “But two weeks consecutive, that’s a first. That’s where you have to be creative and make sure the players are fresh. Mentally and physically, the players have got to take a break for a moment.”

The plan is a light week of work, with emphasis on fundamentals, then next week a normal drill-down on the opponent. <-

->There would be more interest if this game brought a sibling rivalry with its starting quarterbacks, but UConn’s Tyler Phommachanh, who injured a leg Oct. 2, will not be back for this game. His brother Taisun Phommachanh made a remarkably fast comeback from an Achilles injury and has played in three games for Clemson. Against Pitt, he rushed twice for 17 yards and completed 3 of 7 passes for 23. The Phommachanh brothers are from Stratford and both played at Avon Old Farms.

“I don’t see [Tyler] coming back for the Clemson game,” Spanos said. “Right now, we’re focusing on Clemson, and he won’t be there for Clemson.” <-

Reaction Score
This makes it sound like there's a chance he can start the last game vs Houston (hopefully).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This makes it sound like there's a chance he can start the last game vs Houston (hopefully).

That would be criminally stupid to play him last game of the year. He's coming off an injury and there is nothing on the line for UConn.

Within hours of that game hopefully none of the current coach's access badges work anymore. While they are playing the game a crew should be at Storrs boxing everyone'e personal belongings and loading them in to vans.

I don't thin Tyler Phommachanh is the QB of the future for sure; he still needs to get better with his arm strength and accuracy. But he is the only QB on the roster who will be an FBS QB next season so he needs to be protected for now.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Let's play the last games to not get anyone seriously injured. We need to break contact, reload, and reengage with better leadership next season.

Reaction Score
What is going to happen to Lou Spanos. Can he be given a job at Central or Southern CT if UConn doesn't want him. He has many attributes as a coach.

Reaction Score
What is going to happen to Lou Spanos. Can he be given a job at Central or Southern CT if UConn doesn't want him. He has many attributes as a coach.
I think Lou Spanos will be FCS or lower FBS

Reaction Score

Spanos will probably catch onto a staff somewhere (either in College or the Pros), maybe not as a coordinator but as a position coach or an analyst. He'll be just fine... he doesn't need to be "given" anything.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Spanos will get a decent job coaching linebackers or some other similar position. He has a ton of connections in the pro's and a number in the college ranks. He will not be going down to FCS but may end up back in the NFL.

Reaction Score
We're still reading this piffle?
I'm definitely over it. No need to patronize us with positive nonsense at this point. Just finish up the season and do the best you can on the way out. Nothing exciting is going to happen without an OC, especially against the next 3 opponents. Has there ever been a better $2500 per week spent than on the 2 weeks with Mazzone? At least with him, it was worth tuning in.

Reaction Score
I'm definitely over it. No need to patronize us with positive nonsense at this point. Just finish up the season and do the best you can on the way out. Nothing exciting is going to happen without an OC, especially against the next 3 opponents. Has there ever been a better $2500 per week spent than on the 2 weeks with Mazzone? At least with him, it was worth tuning in.

The best 5000 bucks ever spent by UConn football.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
So why did they pull the plug on him? Chief kind of tuned out and had other stuff going on.
I think his playbook involved Tyler Phommachanh and the dual-threat QB plan, and when Tyler was injured, his game plan was done. Steven Krajewski doesn't work with what he was doing. That's just my take.

Or he didn't have enough Maalox and Zofran to quell the nausea and just ran. It's hard enough to watch this from the stands or on TV, much less from the sideline.

Reaction Score
I think his playbook involved Tyler Phommachanh and the dual-threat QB plan, and when Tyler was injured, his game plan was done. Steven Krajewski doesn't work with what he was doing. That's just my take.

Or he didn't have enough Maalox and Zofran to quell the nausea and just ran. It's hard enough to watch this from the stands or on TV, much less from the sideline.

Krajewski would be much better with Mazzone there. We have nothing beyond the absolute most basic offense now. It isn’t even as creative as a good high school offense.

Everyone looked better with Mazzone there. Even the defense was energized by seeing the offense look competent.

Reaction Score

Steven Krajewski took the team all the way down the field and scored twice against Vandy to give them the lead. Plus he led the team in rushing against Purdue and 2nd against Vandy. Is he faster than Tyler Phommachanh, absolutely not, but a good OC can work with his abilities to keep the defense honest. So, instead of making adjustments you pack your bags and leave?? Now we are stuck with the same and predictable offense. I’m hoping it’s something personal or family related that caused him to leave. I guess we will never know.

Reaction Score
Steven Krajewski took the team all the way down the field and scored twice against Vandy to give them the lead. Plus he led the team in rushing against Purdue and 2nd against Vandy. Is he faster than Tyler Phommachanh, absolutely not, but a good OC can work with his abilities to keep the defense honest. So, instead of making adjustments you pack your bags and leave?? Now we are stuck with the same and predictable offense. I’m hoping it’s something personal or family related that caused him to leave. I guess we will never know.
More than likely, the staff thought they “got it” or he had other places to be. Either way, it wasn’t a long term fix and that’s probably for the best. If he stuck around and made us look good, Spanos might have gotten the job and Mazzone may have left. Then we’d be stuck with the current **** show next season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Much better than most of the Edsall bonuses LMAO
A1F50802-38AD-46D5-9777-3BF026EC93A8.jpeg

“Participated in coin toss? Bonus!”

Reaction Score
I’m wondering what could’ve been if Mazzone had been here during fall camp??!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom