Lou sits out: under the weather | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lou sits out: under the weather

Reaction Score
I hate to put a damper on things, but I really hope this isn't something like pnemonia or something. Clearly this has been a chronic issue and something like pnemonia can mimic a cold.

With the medical staff UC has --a quick check of the lungs and they would have an indication--whatever it is--believe, if anyone knows the UConn medical staff knows. Chronic or not.

Reaction Score
Yes, we seem to have a number of "Boneyard Doctors" here at the "SUE MAYO CLINIC" (that reference is for those UCONN Women's Basketball Team Historians). Let's hope that that KLS Flu is on the downturn and she can get enough rest to allow this to pass, so that she is ready to go on Monday Night. This team is capable of taking SMU down by 40 Points even without KLS.

Feel Better Katie Lou

upload_2017-2-11_10-0-21.png

Reaction Score
If I might ask our doctors on the site, would someone like Lou, who grew up in California, be more susceptible to colds/flu here in the northeast?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Did not some posters earlier say that Geno should rest some of the starters for this game. Just as he sat BS before the SC game, maybe he is doing the same thing now. Where are those posters?
Not sure what you're getting at here. I tossed out the idea recently that is might be a good idea to sit Nurse for a game (Tulsa?) to help heal her sore ankle. I qualified my remark by saying it probably wouldn't happen.

There is precedent for this. They sat Stewie for the LSU game last year because of a sore ankle. They sat Mo for a game because of a sore hamstring. There is logic to it, and it happens in the pros all the time. It's a long season.

Sitting Stewie and Tuck before the SCAR game two years ago had nothing to do with them needing rest. Geno was upset about the way they were comporting themselves so he sent a message to them and the team.

Reaction Score
Not a doctor, but that wont stop me! (Am a retired science teacher who faced thousands of germy kids!)
Colds are caused by viruses, not the cold. However, some things can make you more susceptible. You build up an immunity to the particular virus strain you have had but there are lots out there! When you move to a different area or are in close contact with people from a different area, you are likely to be exposed to a strain of virus you have not faced before and therefor you can get sick! In addition the cold air and dry heat inside can dry out the mucus membranes which are part of your defense, so viruses can more easily get in. So while you wont catch a cold from just being cold, it can lower your resistance to any virus you are exposed to.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Not a doctor, but that wont stop me! (Am a retired science teacher who faced thousands of germy kids!)
Colds are caused by viruses, not the cold. However, some things can make you more susceptible. You build up an immunity to the particular virus strain you have had but there are lots out there! When you move to a different area or are in close contact with people from a different area, you are likely to be exposed to a strain of virus you have not faced before and therefor you can get sick! In addition the cold air and dry heat inside can dry out the mucus membranes which are part of your defense, so viruses can more easily get in. So while you wont catch a cold from just being cold, it can lower your resistance to any virus you are exposed to.
I would be willing to say that what OldAlum stated above best describes what I understand to be Lou's condition.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Everyone has it or had it this year, in our neck of the woods, just about. No way for me to assess what it might do to a basketball talent from California...GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
That is correct. Mono is not very contagious unless you share eating utensils or are into French kissing.

Mono has another danger for athletes (Things to Know About Infectious Mononucleosis - American Family Physician):

"Sometimes mono can cause serious problems. One problem is with the spleen...In people with mono, sometimes the spleen grows very large and tears open...About one half of these ruptures happen during contact sports, such as football. If you get mono, you should not play sports for at least four weeks. Your doctor might want you to have an ultrasound test before you go back to sports."

I recall that Heather Buck got mono and was prohibited from playing lest she injure her spleen. I doubt that mono would be the problem for KLS, since she probably would have been held out of practice and games by UConn, as was Buck.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Not sure what you're getting at here. I tossed out the idea recently that is might be a good idea to sit Nurse for a game (Tulsa?) to help heal her sore ankle. I qualified my remark by saying it probably wouldn't happen.

There is precedent for this. They sat Stewie for the LSU game last year because of a sore ankle. They sat Mo for a game because of a sore hamstring. There is logic to it, and it happens in the pros all the time. It's a long season.

Sitting Stewie and Tuck before the SCAR game two years ago had nothing to do with them needing rest. Geno was upset about the way they were comporting themselves so he sent a message to them and the team.
Did you not read the posts that stated Geno may have been using their play as an excuse just to rest them? That was what I was getting at. So some may think that there is really no illness. I don't think that but, it was stated he may do just that and that was before it was known KLS is ill. Evidently that is not the case because it is now reported that KLS will play today.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I hate to put a damper on things, but I really hope this isn't something like pnemonia or something. Clearly this has been a chronic issue and something like pnemonia can mimic a cold.
Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and that makes you prescient? I think the UConn training staff and UConn Health is on it and better to assess the situation than you as a blogger...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and that makes you prescient? I think the UConn training staff and UConn Health is on it and better to assess the situation than you as a blogger..
I said I hope it's not. Never did I say "I believe that it is". Relax, don't get your panties in a bunch. Try cutting back on the caffeine and try not being a BB.

Reaction Score
There is a cold going around, where the cold goes away after a week or so but the cough and run-down feeling lingers and can last up to 4 weeks. That could be what she's been dealing with.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom