Lou sidelined | The Boneyard

Lou sidelined

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The (lack of) time between the collegiate and professional seasons can be brutal for athletes suffering from injuries that they were able to play through in the former, but can most assuredly affect the latter. Best of luck to Lou.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unfortunately for Lou, Dallas has a bunch of rookies all fighting to make the roster. I worry that Lou will not be healthy in time to fully compete for one of those precious spots on a WNBA roster. Hopefully, one way or another, Lou will catch on somewhere in the W.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for Lou, Dallas has a bunch of rookies all fighting to make the roster. I worry that Lou will not be healthy in time to fully compete for one of those precious spots on a WNBA roster. Hopefully, one way or another, Lou will catch on somewhere in the W.
While you're probably correct re this opportunity with the Stars, I believe her up side will give her more opportunities if this one doesn't pan out.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
She was an early first rounder. Hard to imagine she won’t be given a good shot at it. She has proved to them already what a warrior she is.

Reaction Score
Lou's knee clearly buckled in her last game. So there was definitely a sprain of some sort involved. Hopefully she won't need any surgery and the injury can heal on its own but I would imagine it would take several weeks to heal fully. It's too bad because she definitely deserved to be a high pick and getting starter minutes in the wnba.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She was an early first rounder. Hard to imagine she won’t be given a good shot at it. She has proved to them already what a warrior she is.
I have no doubt that Dallas chose Lou in the 1st round with the expectation that she would make the roster. But just like Christyn last year, teams in the W aren’t set up to wait for players to get healthy. There’s a short preseason. 12 players make the team and then it’s time to play.

Players that are cut or injured have to fend for themselves to find another opportunity somewhere else. In a 12 team league with limited financial resources, it is truly “survival of the fittest.”

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Dallas chose Lou in the 1st round with the expectation that she would make the roster. But just like Christyn last year, teams in the W aren’t set up to wait for players to get healthy. There’s a short preseason. 12 players make the team and then it’s time to play.

Players that are cut or injured have to fend for themselves to find another opportunity somewhere else. In a 12 team league with limited financial resources, it is truly “survival of the fittest.”
Yes, but the same would be true for her for all teams once the season starts Id think the team that drafted her will keep her if they think she is better than and can help them more than soneone on the roster. One way or the other, if she misses too big a chunk of the season she might be looking at next year. Is it clear how long she will be sidelined?

Reaction Score
I hope you are right. Lou is a warrior and hope she gets a decent look, once she is doing better with that knee.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That tweet from Maggie doesn’t seem like news. I think we’ve known that for 2+ weeks. Best wishes to Louskiii!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, but the same would be true for her for all teams once the season starts Id think the team that drafted her will keep her if they think she is better than and can help them more than soneone on the roster. One way or the other, if she misses too big a chunk of the season she might be looking at next year. Is it clear how long she will be sidelined?
It is extremely rare for a WNBA team to keep an injured rookie on the roster coming out of camp. The season is not that long and there are so many talented players vying for all of 144 precious roster spots in the league, that teams generally move on to the next player. The Wings also drafted Maddy Siegrist, who is likely a lock to make the team as a scoring wing. Lou would certainly have been a good bet to make the team as a shooting guard behind Ogunbowle. But you can not forget about Abbie Meyers who the Wings also drafted out of MD. I would expect that under normal circumstances, Lou & Meyers would have competed for that backup 2 guard spot. But with Lou injured, the path is clear for Meyers to be on the roster on opening day, and Lou perhaps the odd woman out.

I love Lou and I absolutely hope I'm wrong. But this is business, and teams cannot afford to wait around for someone to get healthy and then somehow earn a spot in the lineup, when the rest of the team has moved on to the season.

Reaction Score

They talked about knowing she would be injured for camp on draft night when they drafted her so not sure what would have changed between now and then.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Speaking of injuries to WNBA rookies, does anyone know whether Christyn Williams is in any team's training camp this year? She was injured in the Washington Mystics preseason last year, and it was known to be a season-ending injury. At the time, Mike Thibault said that she would definitely be back in the Mystics camp this year. However, he has now retired and his son has taken over as the Mystics coach, and I don't know if he is following through on his father's statement.

arch

Reaction Score
Speaking of injuries to WNBA rookies, does anyone know whether Christyn Williams is in any team's training camp this year? She was injured in the Washington Mystics preseason last year, and it was known to be a season-ending injury. At the time, Mike Thibault said that she would definitely be back in the Mystics camp this year. However, he has now retired and his son has taken over as the Mystics coach, and I don't know if he is following through on his father's statement.
Don’t see her listed in WNBA site.

Reaction Score
It is extremely rare for a WNBA team to keep an injured rookie on the roster coming out of camp. The season is not that long and there are so many talented players vying for all of 144 precious roster spots in the league, that teams generally move on to the next player. The Wings also drafted Maddy Siegrist, who is likely a lock to make the team as a scoring wing. Lou would certainly have been a good bet to make the team as a shooting guard behind Ogunbowle. But you can not forget about Abbie Meyers who the Wings also drafted out of MD. I would expect that under normal circumstances, Lou & Meyers would have competed for that backup 2 guard spot. But with Lou injured, the path is clear for Meyers to be on the roster on opening day, and Lou perhaps the odd woman out.

I love Lou and I absolutely hope I'm wrong. But this is business, and teams cannot afford to wait around for someone to get healthy and then somehow earn a spot in the lineup, when the rest of the team has moved on to the season.
They've put her in a lot of their promo and have spent a lot of time praising her in interviews. I highly doubt they would let her go without giving her a chance in training camp and in games, especially since they've said they want to see her at 100% for the future. I doubt they said those things if they weren't sure about her future role on the team. The wording at the end of that tweet tells me that they really want her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Eric T. is the Coach. Mike T. is the GM, I believe.

Christyn seems to be making good progress on her rehab, per her IG posts. She is still with the Mystics in some form.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom