Lou Preseason All American AP | The Boneyard

Lou Preseason All American AP

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn standout Katie Lou Samuelson named to preseason AP All-America team

She joins Louisville’s Asia Durr, Oregon’s Sabrina Ionescu, Baylor’s Kalani Brown and Notre Dame’s Arike Ogunbowale.
\
Oh, and, no pressure:

“She’s been an All-American two years in a row, watching her the last couple weeks she’s healthier and improved in so many ways over the last two seasons and we’re going to need her to be all that unlike her freshman, sophomore and junior year,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said in a statement “She has less experience around her and we are going to need her to do more. I don’t only expect her to be an All-American again, I expect her to be the best player in the country.”

Reaction Score
UConn’s Napheesa Collier also received four votes for the preseason team. Last year Collier was named a third-team AP All-America player, and in 2017 she was first-team All-America.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While the AP preseason AA team is a nice honor, you really want to be on the team at the end of the season. As good as the 5 players are who have made the preseason team, I have a feeling that at least one other player will crash the party at the end of the season.

I’m hoping that player is Pheesa, but it could also be McGowan, any one of several ND players, or a certain diminutive pg at UConn.

Reaction Score
I’m hoping that player is Pheesa, but it could also be McGowan, any one of several ND players, or a certain diminutive pg at UConn.

Lots of talk about the freshmen, the seniors and MW but almost nothing on Dangerfield who is flying way under the radar so far in the preseason.

Reaction Score
Too many great players and not enough spots. 1'st and 2nd team will be stacked with great players.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Full voting list here

Ionescu and Durr headline AP preseason All-America team

The Associated Press 2018-19 preseason All-America women’s basketball team, with school, height, year and votes from a 31-member national media panel (key 2017-18 statistics in parentheses):

Asia Durr, Louisville, 5-10, senior, 29 votes (18.7 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.3 apg, 41.5 3pt fg pct, 84.8 ft pct, 1.0 steals)

Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon, 5-11, junior, 29 (19.7 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 7.8 apg, 43.8 3pt fg pct, 80.5 ft pct, 1.7 steals, 35.6 minutes)

Katie Lou Samuelson, UConn, 6-3, senior, 28 (17.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 3.8 apg, 53.0 fg pct, 47.5 3pt fg pct, 83.5 ft pct, 1.2 steals)

Arike Ogunbowale, Notre Dame, 5-8, senior, 24 (20.8 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 2.8 apg, 1.4 steals)

Kalani Brown, Baylor, 6-7, senior, 18 (20.0 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 64.2 fg pct, 1.5 blocks)

Others receiving votes: Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State, 12; Megan Gustafson, Iowa, 10; Napheesa Collier, UConn, 4; Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M, 1.

Based on stats, explain to me why Durr is higher than Katie Lou. :confused:

Ionescu I understand, she is a stat machine and if she keeps it up and gets her team to a final 4 or better, I can definitely see her as Player of the Year.

On the other hand, if Lou pushes this group to the final 4 and dominates like she can, I can definitely see her as Player of the Year.

Of course, centers such as Brown can steal the POY as well.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lots of talk about the freshmen, the seniors and MW but almost nothing on Dangerfield who is flying way under the radar so far in the preseason.
I was just thinking about that. Crystal started off last season like the best pg in the country, but soon thereafter she battled shin splints for most of the season, hardly practicing with the team and severely limiting what she could do on the court.

While I agree that Crystal has flown under the radar so far this season for the most part, there is one exception. Every time Geno talks about this year’s team he confirms the outstanding level of play and leadership of his 3 returning starters. In effect he is equating Crystal with his two 2x AA’s.

I have asked these two questions before. How good will a healthy Crystal Dangerfield be this season? How good will the team be this season with a healthy Crystal practing with the team every day, rather than spending practices on a stationary bike?

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Full voting list here

Ionescu and Durr headline AP preseason All-America team

The Associated Press 2018-19 preseason All-America women’s basketball team, with school, height, year and votes from a 31-member national media panel (key 2017-18 statistics in parentheses):

Asia Durr, Louisville, 5-10, senior, 29 votes (18.7 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.3 apg, 41.5 3pt fg pct, 84.8 ft pct, 1.0 steals)

Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon, 5-11, junior, 29 (19.7 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 7.8 apg, 43.8 3pt fg pct, 80.5 ft pct, 1.7 steals, 35.6 minutes)

Katie Lou Samuelson, UConn, 6-3, senior, 28 (17.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 3.8 apg, 53.0 fg pct, 47.5 3pt fg pct, 83.5 ft pct, 1.2 steals)

Arike Ogunbowale, Notre Dame, 5-8, senior, 24 (20.8 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 2.8 apg, 1.4 steals)

Kalani Brown, Baylor, 6-7, senior, 18 (20.0 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 64.2 fg pct, 1.5 blocks)

Others receiving votes: Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State, 12; Megan Gustafson, Iowa, 10; Napheesa Collier, UConn, 4; Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M, 1.
I can't believe that Pheesa only got 4 votes when she ended up being the very last person cut from the US National team, and if EDD had decided to sit out because of the knee injury Pheesa would had played. She was playing with the best and held strong to the very end.

Reaction Score
I was just thinking about that. Crystal started off last season like the best pg in the country, but soon thereafter she battled shin splints for most of the season, hardly practicing with the team and severely limiting what she could do on the court.

While I agree that Crystal has flown under the radar so far this season, for the most part, there is one exception. Every time Geno talks about this year’s team he confirms the outstanding level of play and leadership of his 3 returning starters. In effect he is equating Crystal with his two 2x AA’s.

I have asked these two questions before. How good will a healthy Crystal Dangerfield be this season? How good will the team be this season with a healthy Crystal practing with the team every day, rather than spending practices on a stationary bike?
Need to KEEP Crystal healthy. Shin splints can come back. We need a competent backup PG to play a lot of minutes, especially in AAC games, etc.

Reaction Score
Has the POY race ever been this wide open? I mean, literally there are 7 players that could win this award. The 5 on this team and McCowan and Collier.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Need to KEEP Crystal healthy. Shin splints can come back. We need a competent backup PG to play a lot of minutes, especially in AAC games, etc.
Agreed. But there are ways to control/eliminate the problem. Training differently, stretching more intensely, ice, compression and changes to a player’s diet can dramatically reduce the potential for shin splints to return. I suspect Crystal is practicing “all of the above.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I can't believe that Pheesa only got 4 votes when she ended up being the very last person cut from the US National team, and if EDD had decided to sit out because of the knee injury Pheesa would had played. She was playing with the best and held strong to the very end.

More motivation. :mad::mad::mad: I could imagine Naphessa being a bit internally annoyed by the perceived difference in value between Lou and herself as seen from the outside.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
More motivation. :mad::mad::mad: I could imagine Naphessa being a bit internally annoyed by the perceived difference in value between Lou and herself as seen from the outside.

I'd like to think this is true. I wanna have a "step on 'em" Pheesa on the floor this year. Her game is an excellent pro ready game. She can slice you and dice you.

Reaction Score
Has the POY race ever been this wide open? I mean, literally there are 7 players that could win this award. The 5 on this team and McCowan and Collier.
Player of the Year could easily be someone not on this list.

Reaction Score
While the AP preseason AA team is a nice honor, you really want to be on the team at the end of the season. As good as the 5 players are who have made the preseason team, I have a feeling that at least one other player will crash the party at the end of the season.

its MCCOWAN lol how does her name get butchered so much lol . Its been McGowan so many times ive began to believe it lol

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
its MCCOWAN lol how does her name get butchered so much lol . Its been McGowan so many times ive began to believe it lol
I don’t actually spell her name. It’s been spelled incorrectly so many times now that once I type “mc” on my iPhone, the name “McGowan” pops up below and I tap it into my post, so she’ll just have to change her name to accommodate my technology...;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
While the AP preseason AA team is a nice honor, you really want to be on the team at the end of the season.

When did they start these pre-season AA teams, watch lists for awards and all that? I find it quite obnoxious. Lou's been a real all-American two years in a row and wasn't names on some of the ballots, and two players got more votes than she did? I find that laughable.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When did they start these pre-season AA teams, watch lists for awards and all that? I find it quite obnoxious. Lou's been a real all-American two years in a row and wasn't names on some of the ballots, and two players got more votes than she did? I find that laughable.
Well, 2 players received 29 votes and Lou received 28. I’m OK with that.

Reaction Score
The gnashing of teeth when the team that really counts, the postseason team, is going to be epic.

Reaction Score
Too many great players and not enough spots. 1'st and 2nd team will be stacked with great players.
That may be but none will be better than Collier. As Geno suggests Lou may wind up the best player in the country this season but Pheesa is going to have a very big year. For years we'll be talking about the drive and the work ethic she displayed during her tenure here at Storrs. She takes no time off and at 6'-1" backs down from no one.

It's silly to try to distinguish between the gallery of star players that we've been fortunate enough to follow for the last twenty-five years here at Uconn, but from the first I've had a special feeling about the kind of player that she is. I hope we win it all come April, but whatever happens this season I'm going to enjoy watching our two seniors light it up game after game.

Reaction Score
Teaira McCowan basically averaged 20 and 20 in the NCAA tournament to go along with 18 and 14 in the regular season and the fact that she isn't a first team All American is a complete JOKE!!!!!!

Reaction Score
It is a little silly trying to claim that any UConn players are being underestimated when they, as a team, are being ranked #2, But, I agree with the above posts that Crystal is flying somewhat under the radar, understandably considering last year's injury.

By the end of the season, however, I think she will be recognized as the #1 point guard. But, she might be fighting a UConn freshman for the honor.

Accuse me of tripping on "Tony vitamin C enthusiasm pills," But then, I get pretty goofy late at night.

Time for bed and for dreams of squeaks and legends dancing in my head.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It is a little silly trying to claim that any UConn players are being underestimated when they, as a team, are being ranked #2, But, I agree with the above posts that Crystal is flying somewhat under the radar, understandably considering last year's injury.

By the end of the season, however, I think she will be recognized as the #1 point guard. But, she might be fighting a UConn freshman for the honor.

Accuse me of tripping on "Tony vitamin C enthusiasm pills," But then, I get pretty goofy late at night.

Time for bed and for dreams of squeaks and legends dancing in my head.
I'm with you. Time for bed, and dreams of exhibition game and Paradise Jam broadcasts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom