Lou: If she plays like she did today which one of the pre-season best 5 will she knock out for first team All-American? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lou: If she plays like she did today which one of the pre-season best 5 will she knock out for first team All-American?

Reaction Score
With a lineup that includes Azzi, Lou and Caroline you won't see all those double teams on post players. When Nika is in the lineup you will. Give me players who are great against great players please. Even Geno himself said that lots of those 11 assists came from passing to players who could hit jump shots. Azzi as our PG for 30 plus minutes gives us a team that could potentially win the NC.
You do realize that for players to be great against great players they actually have to play great defense -not just score points.

Who of those three will be harassing the ball as it comes down court reducing our opponents shot clock? Who among them is going to be as vocal on both ends as Nika (who Geno has said more than once is the voice her teammates listen to on the floor)? Who replaces her energy?

I am not in anyway devaluing what the three you mentioned will add to the success of the team. As many have said all four of the main guard rotation should get solid minutes. You can discount Nika’s contributions as has been a theme with you, but i think many, including her teammates and coaches recognize the value she brings as their point guard.

Reaction Score
I’m fine with Nika getting 20 minutes PT. It keeps everyone fresh and healthy and it should enable the players out there to move without the ball more, which is absolutely key to this teams success. But they better be moving and talking or they sit.

Reaction Score
You do realize that for players to be great against great players they actually have to play great defense -not just score points.

Who of those three will be harassing the ball as it comes down court reducing our opponents shot clock? Who among them is going to be as vocal on both ends as Nika (who Geno has said more than once is the voice her teammates listen to on the floor)? Who replaces her energy?

I am not in anyway devaluing what the three you mentioned will add to the success of the team. As many have said all four of the main guard rotation should get solid minutes. You can discount Nika’s contributions as has been a theme with you, but i think many, including her teammates and coaches recognize the value she brings as their point guard.
Other than being loud and agressive, what evidence do we even have of Nika being a better defender than Azzi, Caroline or even Lou? Big deal, she got 5 steals against the worst team we will play this year. And steals are just one metric. Last year which guard was on the other teams top scoring guard? CW. CW had about the same number of steals as well as playing the other team’s top scorer. That alone would make CW a better candidate for big east defender of the year. Look up the numbers. Even Liv warranted it more per the numbers. Again, give me players who are great against great competion. Good luck stopping Rori Harmon.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Other than being loud and agressive, what evidence do we even have of Nika being a better defender than Azzi, Caroline or even Lou? Big deal, she got 5 steals against the worst team we will play this year. And steals are just one metric. Last year which guard was on the other teams top scoring guard? CW. CW had about the same number of steals as well as playing the other team’s top scorer. That alone would make CW a better candidate for big east defender of the year. Look up the numbers. Even Liv warranted it more per the numbers. Again, give me players who are great against great competion. Good luck stopping Rori Harmon.
What do you know that the Big East coaches don’t?

Reaction Score
Is this the same Caroline who beat Azzi in a three point contest before they came to UConn?
Yes, she did, but remember Azzi was in a boot... I think Caroline compares favorably to Lou in three-point shooting, but neither IMO are at Azzi's level--not even Paige... I think Paige is a more dynamic scorer though...

Reaction Score
Wow, kind of harsh criticism of a kid who actually epitomizes your moniker! First you point out her assists mean nothing and now double down to trash her defensive value. She's the point guard of our team who seems to have worked hard in the offseason on everything folks felt she needed to, to be in that position. On the offensive side of the game, I believe her skills will be a great compliment to those of the terrific group of scorers we have this season, and her intensity and tenacity will enhance our team defense. Rather than seek any evidence from me , maybe listen to things her teammates and coach have said about her leading up to the start of the season.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score

WOW.....did Nika step on ur Kitten or something? If so don't let tht cat play around with a ball in front of the young lady, and by the way who do you know tht can stop Harmon? Contain, maybe but stop, naw Rori is tht good. I too tend to go by wht her teammates and coaches say abt her and it's completely 180 degrees from wht ur laying down....jmho

Reaction Score
If Nika gets 11 assists again this year I'll be surprised. Kutztown was an anamoly. What did we score? 115 points overall and we shot close to 57% as a team with 14 successful 3 point shots? How many of Nika's assists were 3 point shots, maybe at least 1/2 of them. That's not going to happen again. If it does it will be in blow out Big East games against bottom rung opponents and who cares what players do in such game? It's irrelevant.
It’s not irrelevant to the recipients of those passes, the team, or to Nika herself! I’m not sure how the type of shot (3 pt, 2 pt, layup) that results from the pass/assist has any relevance here. Is a pass that results in a 3 pt shot somehow less valuable? You just heard Geno predict that Azzi may make 15 in one game! Why would you think we won’t have other successful days shooting threes? It looks to me as if we may have the best three point shooting team we’ve had in years! I’d be willing to bet she has 11 or more at least once more this season and puts up career assist numbers! She loves to pass and now has the best shooting team (by far) she’s ever played on to finish those passes!

Reaction Score
Being team first means being objective and putting the team first. I can see that Nika is trying and trying hard and I hope for the best from her but strategically I'd still put the ball in Azzi's hands at the point and enable her to penetrate and dish off as needed or take that pull up or 3. No doubt we will need her depth at point but a couple penetrating drives by Nika against our worst opponent of the year is not indicative of her season. There is little reason to think Nika can finish at the rim or make people defend her at the point, especially compared to Azzi, Lou or Caroline. If she were playing for Geogetown she would still score 10 points a game at best. EVERYONE looks great against Kuztown. Ideally, we need to force the opposing team to play straight up defense or a zone. Objectively, we are a better team for it. And Azzi's defense is just as good overall. Geno is a manager, trying to squeeze productivity out of everyone because he knows he will need it before the season is done. Eventually he will go to team A at crunchtime and at least some of us know it.

Reaction Score
I want to see Caroline play before concluding Lou should start over her. Caroline has a quick release too, if she played against Kutztown and had the same scoring opportunities, she definitely could have impressed as much. Lou was great, no doubt, ecstatic that she is a Husky, but Caroline is the real deal too and has done it when it counts.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I suppose if she made the layup off of her nice back door, NPOY would be in the discussion. ;)

Reaction Score
Nika played more or less as Geno wanted her to. Bear in mind that Geno isn’t interested in running the offense through a full-time pg. he has said repeatedly that any number of people can bring the ball up the court and set a play. Azzi did it several times in this game.

That said, Nika was more active offensively than last season. There’s still room for improvement. But I saw a pull up jumper, which wasn’t in her arsenal last year. Paige was what Megan and Kara have called the “hype player” for the team. She can still supply some of the energy from the sideline. But it’s really up to Nika to take that over now. No one else really has that personality.

Reaction Score
Forget the Caitlin Clark comparison. How many of you think that Lou will be more offensively productive this year than either Evina or Christyn were last year? I believe there is at least a 50% chance that she will.

If she does, then I think she can realistically be a late 1st-round or early 2nd-round draft choice in the WNBA draft this spring.
Lou appears not shy to take THE shot — as tIme is running down. Evina and Christyn NEVER wanted the ball. My % take for Lou is >75%
B&C

Reaction Score
Lou appears not shy to take THE shot — as tIme is running down. Evina and Christyn NEVER wanted the ball. My % take for Lou is >75%
B&C
“Taking the shot” is highly sought after in the W. It’s a faster game and they value shooters like Lou. Caitlin Clark will be valued even more highly, I expect, at least in the draft for her talent but also for her name recognition

Reaction Score
Wow I've heard of the glass being half full, but between this, and Ayanna being national freshmen of the year is like holding a tea cup under Niagra Falls!

Lou is exactly the kind of player we needed to pick up in the transfer portal, she fills a need and should be an excellent backup behind Azzi at the 2 and Caroline at the 3 at a minimum. She could start over Nika or Caroline, but that is far from certain. As good as she looks as a versatile scorer in many ways, that is her main superior skill. She may be solid in other areas, but won't get All American consideration because of her rebounding, passing or defense.

As for Ayanna, you don't get to be national freshmen of the year if you don't start and put up big numbers. Short of an injury to Dorka or Aaliyah that is very unlikely. She could easily be a very good third big in a three big rotation, but that is her realistic upside, at least for this year. She is not yet a polished offensive performer, and getting used to scoring over size will probably be a work in progress. It may come but right now she is a great athlete, rebounder and defender who is mostly a garbage scorer around the basket.

In both cases I am very happy with what we have and expect both to be very good key contributors, but All American and freshmen of the year based on an exhibition against a Division 2 team is beyond unrealistic IMO.

Reaction Score
All American?..............very unlikely...............All Conference..........possibly...............average 13-15 points a game for the season..........probably

Reaction Score
Wow I've heard of the glass being half full, but between this, and Ayanna being national freshmen of the year is like holding a tea cup under Niagra Falls!

Lou is exactly the kind of player we needed to pick up in the transfer portal, she fills a need and should be an excellent backup behind Azzi at the 2 and Caroline at the 3 at a minimum. She could start over Nika or Caroline, but that is far from certain. As good as she looks as a versatile scorer in many ways, that is her main superior skill. She may be solid in other areas, but won't get All American consideration because of her rebounding, passing or defense.

As for Ayanna, you don't get to be national freshmen of the year if you don't start and put up big numbers. Short of an injury to Dorka or Aaliyah that is very unlikely. She could easily be a very good third big in a three big rotation, but that is her realistic upside, at least for this year. She is not yet a polished offensive performer, and getting used to scoring over size will probably be a work in progress. It may come but right now she is a great athlete, rebounder and defender who is mostly a garbage scorer around the basket.

In both cases I am very happy with what we have and expect both to be very good key contributors, but All American and freshmen of the year based on an exhibition against a Division 2 team is beyond unrealistic IMO.
a dunk or two will raise her recognition level enough to at least be considered if she has really solid numbers........great for NIL money too!!

Reaction Score
Over all the years I've watched basketball I've rarely made such an early assessment. I watched a player today who was far more than just someone who started because Caroline couldn't. I may be wrong but you don't always need a large sample.

How many times do you think Geno had to see Paige play before he knew she had the goods? (No, I'm not comparing Lou to Paige so please don't go there.)
Agree wholeheartedly.
Inside, outside, gets half a step and takes it to the rim.
Smart, finds space, not just a bombs away scorer.
Granted, against a D II team, but she looked like she’d been wearing a UCONN jersey for more than 4 months.
And that, friends, is a huge accomplishment ( to me).

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Please.... they are both great basketball players and three pointer shooters! Who was
better Willie Mays or Mickey Mantle... the comparisons are endless. I have a favorite here
.. the one wearing the UCONN jersey!
Duke Snyder, center fielder for the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom