Lots of smoke....No fire | The Boneyard

Lots of smoke....No fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My prediction is that this "Football Recruiting" thread is going to be bringing us tons of smoke in the next 8 months but not a lot of fire.

I was looking at the numbers for next year and the scholly spots that are available are unprecedentedly minimal. Now I know that generally speaking if you have 15 seniors graduating, you can assume another 5 or so in attrition (injuries, grades, Rjr's not coming back, leaving early) and you can bank on at least a class of 20.........But with the way the numbers are looking for next year our spots are staggeringly low...........

Right now we have 90 due schollys for next year so already 5 need to be shown the door. Personally the 5 will be a combination of these players (Steg, Paull, Abrams, Adeyemi, Hyppolite, McCummings, Louis/McBryde).....Sidenote: Seeing as we lose 4 Senior starting OL's I don't think we cut anyone other than maybe Paull from the OL)....

We currently have only 12 Seniors leaving at the end of this year. 1 of whom is projected to be Hyppolite and I don't know if he will even be around after spring concludes. If he isn't around that would make 11 Seniors graduating next year and 2 of them are special teamers (Wagner and Christian). Therefore, will be 9 schollys available for non-special teamers. Now generally you look towards the Rjr's and see who might not play out there eligibility but as I look there are a heck of a lot of impact players who will make up the bulk of our starters in '14 from that class (Phillips, Whitmer?, Davis, McCombs, Cruz, Mateas, Frank, Smallwood, Pruitt, BJones)......

The other guys in that class are : Paull + Steg (could be part of the spring cut), McCummings (almost definitely won't come back for 5th year if he even makes it out of spring), McBryde/Louis (I think one may get cut but not both), Abrams, Foxx (hearing he could be the slot for the next 2 years), Hansson.

So with that said, take 9 and add maybe 4 or 5 spots for attrition and your talking about a very small class.......16 max with 2 being kick squad??

Couple that with that fact that we have some Dean kids apparently waiting in the wings...maybe.....If Bryan and Sylva reaffirm commits given we are still interested that would put us at looking to add 12 non-ST from now till next feb. Goes to show why staff have been picky handing out schollys...

Just my thoughts.....boredom at its finest.....

Reaction Score
Don't disagree... believe they also need to see where the academics w/ intial 2013 recruits Jalan Branford (PA Athelete) and Jamar Summers (NJ WR) pan out.

Reaction Score
Don't disagree... believe they also need to see where the academics w/ intial 2013 recruits Jalan Branford (PA Athelete) and Jamar Summers (NJ WR) pan out.

Very good point. Forgot about those two........If they are interested in keeping those two (and last I checked Jalan is grey shirting, no?) That means we may only have 10 or 11 non-ST schollys available.....

Reaction Score
plus TOS in a basketball article is reporting that (te/wr) Jordan Fuchs will now be prepping and then enrolling in January 2014….

Reaction Score
hmmmm I didn't hear about this.....well if that is the case then he was one of the 90 due a scholly that I missed. So it doesn't affect the count because now we only need to cut 4 by spring.....but the Rjr. (most likely) who didn't get cut that would have at the end of spring will now be cut at the end of the year.....

Reaction Score
plus TOS in a basketball article is reporting that (te/wr) Jordan Fuchs will now be prepping and then enrolling in January 2014….

Nice info from Mike Libert ~ NYCHoops.net Staff Writer

NYCHoops 3:13pm via twitterfeed
Change of plans for Jordan Fuchs: While he is still committed to the Huskies there have been some new developm...

>>"Next year I'm going to be greyshirting and heading to prep school until January unless something drastic changes." Fuchs said.

He explained the situation saying he has been told that UConn has too many incoming scholarship players coming in and not enough seniors leaving, so he will be one of a handful of players who will go to prep school for a semester, play football there, and then head to UConn for the 2nd semester."

"It works out better for me because I get another year of development without losing any college eligibility." Fuchs added.<<

Intimated that the prep school is in CT.

If he's happy - I'm happy :)

Reaction Score
Interesting that it seems others will be told to grey shirt......Maybe that's where the other 4 schollys will be saved rather than through forcing guys out....I guess that philosophy lies differently between coaches...It may be a combo between the two philosophies..Doesn't change our numbers situation for next year though.....with anyone greyshirting they will simply count for next years and the remaining schollys still stands somewhere between 11 and 14....

Reaction Score
Nice topic and posts guys. It's refreshing to hear actual football talk in the Boneyard. I had figured one of the quarterbacks would be moving on. From what you predict it may be McCummings and hopefully that signals the end of the one down at a time wildcat strategy.

Reaction Score
Ive got 84 including Summers, Bryan, Branford, Fuchs, and Sylva.

I do not have Hyppolite on there....but i just forgot to add him back after injury.

Thats 85.

We will likely lose 6-12 between this summer, and next. The next class will definitely be smaller than usual. Hopefully we win a few games, get some interest from top kids, and have the opportunity to be a bit selective.

Reaction Score
Ive got 84 including Summers, Bryan, Branford, Fuchs, and Sylva.

I do not have Hyppolite on there....but i just forgot to add him back after injury.

Thats 85.

We will likely lose 6-12 between this summer, and next. The next class will definitely be smaller than usual. Hopefully we win a few games, get some interest from top kids, and have the opportunity to be a bit selective.

Not sure how you got 85 guys or when you mean that we will have 85....At the end of the year? Right now?

Right now we have 90 guys who were supposed to be receiving schollys for next fall......With news of Fuchs greyshirting that makes 89......and he noted that there would be a few more who would defer to next year.....Now does that mean 4 more to make our max 85? maybe....if not some Rjr's are going to be told that they are 4th stringers and it may be best to move on...

None of the players you listed count against a scholly list this year. All will be either attending prep schools or JC's somewhere else until January. So if you mean by next year, then I don't know why you would count Hyppolite because he is a senior.. Either way the available scholly count for next year is very low. Especially if all of those prep/JC kids are still coming in January.

Reaction Score
You're right about Hyppolite. I accidentally took him off this year....not next.

either way, i have 84 for 2014. That includes the 5 kids listed above (bryan, summers, sylva, branford, fuchs)

Im talking about 2014

Reaction Score
15 seniors for 2014:

Whitmer
McCummings
McCombs
Hansson
Phillips
Davis
Foxx
Mateas
Cruz
Paull
Frank
Smallwood
Steg
Jones
T Brown

Obviously some of these guys wont be around then (leave this year), and some of the others who dont have the opportunity to get the playing time they want will as well.
So 2015 could be a huge class, but 2014 will have to be small...unless we lose a uniquely large amount of players to transfer/"cuts"

Reaction Score
Idlee, unless you are counting there players as seniors this year - they are also rs-jr (sr's in 2014) - McBryde, Pruitt, Louis and Mueller....

Reaction Score
Idlee, unless you are counting there players as seniors this year - they are also rs-jr (sr's in 2014) - McBryde, Pruitt, Louis and Mueller....

They were in the "some of the others who dont have the opportunity to get the playing time" category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom