lots of issues | The Boneyard

lots of issues

Reaction Score
gaffney getting more time is not the answer to anything. Hell, he missed a layup in the first half that killed momentum and led to a foul/free throws on the other end.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We've missed an inordinate amount of layups all season long. This flaw was well concealed when we were destroying opponents on the offensive glass

One issue that has lingered for a few years is that once we are close we seem to throw the ball at the basket instead of talking shots. A new wrinkle is that we seem to have started to like taking three point shots with nobody in rebounding position.

We throw too far many possessions away and it has finally come back to hurt us. We shouldn't have needed to go down to the wire against St Johns, especially with Posh sitting out the game.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Sesame Street Television GIF

Reaction Score
How many point blank layups did they miss?
Sanogo is a mess. Doesn't kick out ever
Polley should be more of an inside player at 6'9
Gaffney needs more time. He goes to the basket well
Not trying to be harsh but Polley being an inside player is a non starter. Tall doesn't translate to inside player. He has no physicality or inside skills. Zero. He would folded up like a wallet. He has had 5 years to show what he is capable of. He's a wildly inconsistent spot shooter. I am appreciative of his efforts and hope he has incredible success in the future.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Not trying to be harsh but Polley being an inside player is a non starter. Tall doesn't translate to inside player. He has no physicality or inside skills. Zero. He would folded up like a wallet. He has had 5 years to show what he is capable of. He's a wildly inconsistent spot shooter. I am appreciative of his efforts and hope he has incredible success in the future.
He’ll be playing for that new minor league team thats playing at East Catholic unless he gets better quick.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
We've missed an inordinate amount of layups all season long. This flaw was well concealed when we were destroying opponents on the offensive glass

One issue that has lingered for a few years is that once we are close we seem to throw the ball at the basket instead of talking shots. A new wrinkle is that we seem to have started to like taking three point shots with nobody in rebounding position.

We throw too far many possessions away and it has finally come back to hurt us. We shouldn't have needed to go down to the wire against St Johns, especially with Posh sitting out the game.

This is exactly what I noticed recently too. At least give a chance for a rebound if missing the 3... JH and RJ did this a few times at least.

The throwing the ball away problem can be corrected but seems to be a consistent problem for us and keeps us from winning easier or just losing close ones

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Hawkins missed a point blank bunny in the 2nd half and we missed a few others as well. If we could just hit a few more of these 3's though, games would be more in our favor. Polley gets back to back looks from the same spot...brick, brick. He's not the only one that could hit a few more.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I won't get too upset about a road W against a team that doesn't suck.

A lot of the observations are accurate. Hurley does not play the bench enough, Sanogo makes shots harder than they should be, Hawkins plays scared, our ballhandling is meh, and Hurley doesn't know how to use Whaley.

UConn won today, and we have a shot to finish strong. I will take it.

Reaction Score

Honestly St. John's missed a lot of bunnies too. It happens when in the heat of the battle. Still getting good looks is the key and we got a lot in this game.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley said in his postgame press conference he thinks its at the point where all the missed layups are in the players heads now. I don’t see how It can’t be. We’ve had some bad luck and bad calls against us all season.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
This is exactly what I noticed recently too. At least give a chance for a rebound if missing the 3... JH and RJ did this a few times at least.

The throwing the ball away problem can be corrected but seems to be a consistent problem for us and keeps us from winning easier or just losing close ones
That is why we lose a lead just as fast as we got it.

Reaction Score
I agree about Polley being inside, would love to see him at the high post, with an occasional flash to the arc. Camping on the arc is useless because it not only negates any rebounding, but it turns him into a one-trick pony since he's not good driving past anyone.

Whaley was great today because he stayed inside, where he belongs.

The missed layups are an issue, and Sanogo seems to be in a slump, but I'm confident it will pass. As for Hawkins, he's getting better on both ends, but his confidence seems to depend on his most recent shot. He has shown some real toughness however, which is something I'm pleased to see.

We need to cut down on the bad judgements when passing. Jackson seems to throw 2-4 bad passes per game, including at least two that are uncatchable, and others that are ill-considered.

Hawkins occasionally has no clue that a defender is behind him, and Sanogo gets his shot blocked far too often then it should IMO.

Having said all this, I think this team is getting closer and closer to being really good.

Last edited:

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
-I don't believe our issue is missing layups, as frustrating as it is to see, I chalk it up to our overall relentlessness & frenetic play on the offensive boards.. Very difficult to slow it down and soften it up at the last moment... We compensate by getting more opportunities through our O-rebounding.
-I do believe we have a tendency to force action into Sanogo & teams have figured out (by now) that he's trying to get over his left shoulder so they are starting to better defend him, causing more turnovers as he tries to adjust.
-Polley has the ability to be a better Rashad Anderson, and Rashad was a very good shooter. I do wish we ran more sets to free him up (& Hawkins)..
-I don't know how you can watch Hawkins shoot a pull-up 3 and NOT think of Ray... Not saying he's Ray, just pointing out his release reminds me of Ray- and that can't be a bad thing, ever.
-Our X-Factor is Tyrese.. If he is scoring but more specifically hitting his shot, it opens up space for everyone else. His toughness & edge is unparalleled.. Defensively his aggressiveness can work against him, but he's so good 1 v 1 that we will gladly take it 7 days a week. As he goes, IMO, we go.
-This team is extremely likable. Their connected & it shows on the court.

Reaction Score
There are many issues. Most of them are lack of focus. For me the unforced TOs are the worst. There were probably, at least, four against SJU. Giving away those possessions makes it tougher on us.

The plays we run for Polley needs to be rethought. Every opposing coach priortizes keeping Polley off the three point line. We should make that work in our favor by getting him open for short jumpers or back doors.

I think we have to live with our guys getting beat back door. Hurley wants them to defend the arc. That seems to work. The rotations shuld be faster but they are not. Pick you poison.

Reaction Score
-I don't believe our issue is missing layups, as frustrating as it is to see, I chalk it up to our overall relentlessness & frenetic play on the offensive boards.. Very difficult to slow it down and soften it up at the last moment... We compensate by getting more opportunities through our O-rebounding.
-I do believe we have a tendency to force action into Sanogo & teams have figured out (by now) that he's trying to get over his left shoulder so they are starting to better defend him, causing more turnovers as he tries to adjust.
-Polley has the ability to be a better Rashad Anderson, and Rashad was a very good shooter. I do wish we ran more sets to free him up (& Hawkins)..
-I don't know how you can watch Hawkins shoot a pull-up 3 and NOT think of Ray... Not saying he's Ray, just pointing out his release reminds me of Ray- and that can't be a bad thing, ever.
-Our X-Factor is Tyrese.. If he is scoring but more specifically hitting his shot, it opens up space for everyone else. His toughness & edge is unparalleled.. Defensively his aggressiveness can work against him, but he's so good 1 v 1 that we will gladly take it 7 days a week. As he goes, IMO, we go.
-This team is extremely likable. Their connected & it shows on the court.
There is zero chance Polley can be better than Rashad

Reaction Score
This was a win, but let’s not pretend St Johns is something it isn’t. They will be lucky to finish .500 despite a padded non-conference schedule that rivals ours for its amount of pastry. And were without their best player. A win is a win but this should not have been close. Losing to these guys would have set us back 2 years.

Reaction Score
This was a win, but let’s not pretend St Johns is something it isn’t. They will be lucky to finish .500 despite a padded non-conference schedule that rivals ours for its amount of pastry. And were without their best player. A win is a win but this should not have been close. Losing to these guys would have set us back 2 years.
In your head how many points were we favored by yesterday?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom