Lots of great freshmen this year - who you got? | The Boneyard

Lots of great freshmen this year - who you got?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There have been a lot of freshmen making a big splash out the gate. Obviously, as UCONN fans, we know about Paige's outstanding and very complete game, but also lots of kudos to Aaliyah and maybe somewhat surprisingly, Mir, who IMHO had the best numbers per minute played.

I know Caitlin Clark of Iowa is off to a hot start. Maddie Westbeld has been surprisingly good for ND. Haley Van Lith has been a star for L'ville. PaoPao is a starter for Oregon, and a big surprise to me. Diamond Johnson for Rutgers is also off to a hot start. Cardoso leads Syracuse in scoring in spite of her dreadful 52% FT shooting... Who else you got? Who has been a surprise so far? Who do you think is underperforming thus far

*note - I realize we are only one to five games into the season, so this is not meant to pile on anyone, or anoint them FOY, just to have a discussion.

Reaction Score
There have been a lot of freshmen making a big splash out the gate. Obviously, as UCONN fans, we know about Paige's outstanding and very complete game, but also lots of kudos to Aaliyah and maybe somewhat surprisingly, Mir, who IMHO had the best numbers per minute played.

I know Caitlin Clark of Iowa is off to a hot start. Maddie Westbeld has been surprisingly good for ND. Haley Van Lith has been a star for L'ville. PaoPao is a starter for Oregon, and a big surprise to me. Diamond Johnson for Rutgers is also off to a hot start. Cardoso leads Syracuse in scoring in spite of her dreadful 52% FT shooting... Who else you got? Who has been a surprise so far? Who do you think is underperforming thus far

*note - I realize we are only one to five games into the season, so this is not meant to pile on anyone, or anoint them FOY, just to have a discussion.
Maryland Angel Reese is not so bad also.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Besides the obvious this is what i got through about 5 games into the season (give or take a game or so)

A lot depends on makeup of the team and how much they have to do

Deja Kelly has looked good for North Carolina. 11.7 ppg and 2.5 assists.
Madison Scott has looked very good for Coach Yo at Ole Miss 12.8ppg 7.0 rebounds and hitting 73% from the field
Sasha Goforth of Oregon State is averaging 17.0 ppg and 2.7 steals
Dalayah Daniels has been the best post player for California 12.8ppg and 7.2 rebounds
Amaya Oliver has looked good for a depleted Southern Cal team 10.5ppg and 8.2 rebounds
Gabby Elliott for Clemson is at 11.9 ppg and 6.6 rebounds
The one freshman without super impressive stats but has looked really good at times is Texas Dayona Gaston who is only averaging 7ppg 5rpg and 2 blocks per game.

Several are having to play more than normal at this point but that's what i got extra.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Besides the obvious this is what i got through about 5 games into the season (give or take a game or so)

A lot depends on makeup of the team and how much they have to do

Deja Kelly has looked good for North Carolina. 11.7 ppg and 2.5 assists.
Madison Scott has looked very good for Coach Yo at Ole Miss 12.8ppg 7.0 rebounds and hitting 73% from the field
Sasha Goforth of Oregon State is averaging 17.0 ppg and 2.7 steals
Dalayah Daniels has been the best post player for California 12.8ppg and 7.2 rebounds
Amaya Oliver has looked good for a depleted Southern Cal team 10.5ppg and 8.2 rebounds
Gabby Elliott for Clemson is at 11.9 ppg and 6.6 rebounds
The one freshman without super impressive stats but has looked really good at times is Texas Dayona Gaston who is only averaging 7ppg 5rpg and 2 blocks per game.

Several are having to play more than normal at this point but that's what i got extra.
Thanks for mentioning Madison Scott. She played for Bishop McNamara outside of D.C. Her teammates included Jakia Brown-Turner, now a 2-year starter at highly ranked N.C. State, and Aliyah Matharu, the next Itty Bitty at Mississippi State. McNamara was a terror a couple of years ago. However, they lost to St. Johns and Azzi 3 times that year. SJC played a very tough schedule, and Azzi was the NPOY.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I saw some of Louisville before the virus shut them down. Seemed like a powerful team. VanLith was very good. I'm watching Oregon-Oregon State -- is Sabaly considered a freshman? From comments above, PaoPao is a fresh; I'm impressed. Anyone I should watch out for in the upcoming Stanford game? UConn fresh ain't so bad either. Any of them 3 pt shooters -- didn't see too much of that in yesterday's game.

Reaction Score
I thought Oregon would fall back a bit after losing their big three, but I think their Fab Five recruiting class is picking up the slack. They just beat # 15 Oregon State by 20, and sit at 5-0. Their Freshman PG Paupau has started all five games, scored 22 tonight, but had 4 fouls in 25 minutes. She has big shoes to fill, but she's doing it. Jaz Shelly started the first game at 2, but got benched after the first game. Prince missed the 4th game with an injury and came off the bench tonight and had 4 fouls. Their other 4 freshmen are seeing limited minutes.

Reaction Score
Andrews has been a little unimpressive for Baylor at the moment, I think Catchings said Mulkey doesn’t play freshman, but that’s not completely true. Poole has looked decent for Ohio State.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
There have been a lot of freshmen making a big splash out the gate.
2020-21 Freshmen (DI Stats per NCAA)
Pt/G

29.9 Caitlin Clark
25.0 Ioanna Krimili
22.0 Pre Stanley
20.0 Charlisse Leger-Walker
19.5 Lexi Fleming
19.2 Jerkaila Jordan
19.0 Anzhane' Hutton
17.8 Katie Scott
17.5 Maddy Westbeld
17.0 Paige Bueckers (#147 tied with 14 others)

A/G
6.5 Caitlin Clark
6.0 Mary Kay Naro
5.5 Emily Ryan
4.5 Te-Hina Paopao
5.0 Nevaeh Tot
5.0 Paige Bueckers (#45 tied with 25 others)

Reaction Score
Pt/G

29.9 Caitlin Clark
25.0 Ioanna Krimili
22.0 Pre Stanley
19.5 Lexi Fleming
19.2 Jerkaila Jordan
19.0 Anzhane' Hutton
17.8 Katie Scott
17.5 Maddy Westbeld

A/G
6.5 Caitlin Clark
6.0 Mary Kay Naro
5.5 Emily Ryan
4.5 Te-Hina Paopao
5.0 Nevaeh Tot
Looks way different when you adjust for minutes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Pt/G

29.9 Caitlin Clark
25.0 Ioanna Krimili
22.0 Pre Stanley
19.5 Lexi Fleming
19.2 Jerkaila Jordan
19.0 Anzhane' Hutton
17.8 Katie Scott
17.5 Maddy Westbeld

A/G
6.5 Caitlin Clark
6.0 Mary Kay Naro
5.5 Emily Ryan
4.5 Te-Hina Paopao
5.0 Nevaeh Tot
Clark is 2nd in the nation!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She did play the first 3 games as starter but played only 3 mins in the 4th game.
To follow up on Angel Reese, she broke a bone in her foot on December 3 and is expected to be out about 3 months, so a return in March is possible.

Reaction Score
Brink is actually doing well for Stanford, too. Certainly not gaudy numbers like Clark. But she is 2nd in points and rebounds for a well balanced Stanford team and is only playing 16 mins. 13 pts, 6.5 rebounds in 16 mins a game isn't too shabby. And she looks be getting a bit more confident each game.

Reaction Score
From what we've seen so far this season, I doubt Bueckers will be the top scoring freshman and maybe she won't have the most assists as a freshman but I think it's fair to propose that no other freshman will put her teammates into a better position to succeed...........how much is that worth to the stat lovers......?

Reaction Score
Best three point shooting frosh just might be Frida Formann.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I've really been impressed with ND's Maddy Westbeld. She is ND's best player. She's averaging 18 ppg and 7.2 rpg. She is shooting 50% on FGA, nearly 47% on 3FGA and 82% on FTA. She's big and strong and can score inside and outside. She handles the ball well in transition and is probably ND's best passer. She's not (yet) good defensively and is foul-prone, but she's a good one.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I've really been impressed with ND's Maddy Westbeld. She is ND's best player. She's averaging 18 ppg and 7.2 rpg. She is shooting 50% on FGA, nearly 47% on 3FGA and 82% on FTA. She's big and strong and can score inside and outside. She handles the ball well in transition and is probably ND's best passer. She's not (yet) good defensively and is foul-prone, but she's a good one.
You do realize there are still ND fans who lurk and only occasionally post on this forum right? You might be encouraging them...it's been a nice year+ of not seeing them is all I am sayin...:rolleyes:

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Brink is actually doing well for Stanford, too. Certainly not gaudy numbers like Clark. But she is 2nd in points and rebounds for a well balanced Stanford team and is only playing 16 mins. 13 pts, 6.5 rebounds in 16 mins a game isn't too shabby. And she looks be getting a bit more confident each game.
The thing that has impressed me the most about Brink is how confident she is out on the court. And for such a slight frame, she is no pushover in the paint. Excited to see how she grows and i think she'll make a formidable tandem with Jones for the next three years.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The thing that has impressed me the most about Brink is how confident she is out on the court. And for such a slight frame, she is no pushover in the paint. Excited to see how she grows and i think she'll make a formidable tandem with Jones for the next three years.

Among other things, I think she's going to make a serious run at the career blocked shots record at Stanford. She's swatting quite a few in limited minutes so far. Her length seems to keep surprising opponents.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom