Lost Opportunity | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lost Opportunity

Reaction Score
Not blaming play calling in this one. Jack Zergiotis said the game plan was to open throwing and spread the out and then run. Just what the BY wants. Except Jack Zergiotis reverted to true freshman and Indiana realized they could pin the ears back on the throws and load the box on runs and that is all she wrote. The game plan was good, it was the execution.

Beaudry might be back soon, he might not. Sometimes the Oline will react to a different QB.
You’ve got to adapt to the in-game circumstance. That wasn’t done. That’s on the OC.

Reaction Score
I was sure Beaudry would come in to start the half. The fact that he did not even play and that Steven Krajewski got only three snaps tells me that this is another developmental year. Edsall feels no pressure to win now. The players of the future will get the PT rather than the most competent ones. Just like last year.

The really puzzling thing to me is what the heck is wrong with the OL?? I guess that Piendell's speed and agility covered up a lot of basic problems last year.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
His name is Robison (even ESPN got his name wrong) 4* QB recruit who was ranked in the top 5 to 10 QBs in his class who enrolled early at Oklahoma. Transferred to FAU after fall football camp last year. And, he has a number of college and JUCO WRs to throw to. His top 6 WRs are 4 seniors, a grad student, and a junior. His top two TEs are both seniors.

Beaudry was in his first college start without his top 2 WRs.

I get it, UConn needs better talent, but they also need more experienced players. You do realize UConn has one scholarship player that is in his fifth year with the program? That is unheard of in college football.

In my opinion, G5 schools need to hire an offensive minded head coach because you can pay the head coach enough to keep him for a few years and he can attract offensive talent, especially at QB. It is hard for any G5 to attract and pay a competent OC who will stay more than a year or two. I’m not sold on Guiffre, but I don’t think you can run a sophisticated offense with a true freshman QB unless he is a top HS QB from a very high level high school program.

I guess thanks for spelling out the point?

He was 18-40 for 177 against UCF.

He torched Wagner and Ball State. Beaudry was horrific against Wagner. Not that Jack Zergiotis was anything but abysmal yesterday - how would Beaudry’s performance against Wagner translate to Indiana?

But yeah the core issue is a neverending succession of people who can’t coach.

Reaction Score
Beaudry is still mending. He wasn’t going into that game.
He dressed for the Illinois game. Two and a half or three weeks is not enough to get him back? That must be one significant injury.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
You’ve got to adapt to the in-game circumstance. That wasn’t done. That’s on the OC.
We couldn't run, and he put us behind 24-3 after the first drive, so what was there to be done to adapt? Roll out? Throw screens? Run wide? At that point you are limited in what you can change.

Reaction Score
You’re doubting he’s still not 100%?
How can you dress two weeks ago and be available for that game and yet not be ready two weeks later, unless he got hurt again. Simply dressing for a game doesn't fool anyone. So why was he in uniform against Illinois? Makes no sense.

Reaction Score
If you don't want to hear me whining then just skip this.

I was never sold on Giuffre being elevated to OC due to lack of experience forcing him to depend on RE to guide him. It's really a nightmare scenario because RE should not be running or guiding decisions on the offensive side. If he is it means we don't have a competent OC. And if he isn't and we can't move the ball the same conclusion has to be drawn.
Whatever strides we were making under Lashlee have been flushed and it's just a shame. Frank seems like a solid OL Coach, but under Randy we need an established independent OC. I have never been on board with starting a true Freshman QB and leapfrogging Steven Krajewski for a true Frosh means we really start from scratch again. There's too much to learn and instincts only get you so far. It tells me we're desperate and ready to throw out whatever plan we had for lightning in a bottle. We needed progress this year and there's no excuse to be going backwards on either side of the ball. None.
My opinion. Jack Zergiotis was not the issue yesterday. Sure he’s a freshman and made a terrible decision (if the ball cleared that defender it would have been a big play- but still a no no) but save for a few overthrows the receivers just couldn’t get separation. Add to that our running game was non existent so what’s a QB to do? He scanned the field and no one was open and a pass rush was in his face. I honestly don’t care who’s behind center I just want them to get the job done. Steven Krajewski wouldn’t have fared any better under yesterday’s conditions.

Reaction Score
I guess thanks for spelling out the point?

He was 18-40 for 177 against UCF.

He torched Wagner and Ball State. Beaudry was horrific against Wagner. Not that Jack Zergiotis was anything but abysmal yesterday - how would Beaudry’s performance against Wagner translate to Indiana?

But yeah the core issue is a neverending succession of people who can’t coach.
Yesterday was Robison’s 4th college start so I would think he would be developing. He was the 7th rated pro style QB coming out of HS. He is in his 3rd year of college football throwing to mostly senior receivers and TEs so I would think he would be better than the QBs on our roster.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yesterday was Robison’s 4th college start so I would think he would be developing. He was the 7th rated pro style QB coming out of HS. He is in his 3rd year of college football throwing to mostly senior receivers and TEs so I would think he would be better than the QBs on our roster.

yeah im talking about how bad wagner is not how much better he is than our qbs

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Indiana decided to let Zergiotis beat them by passing. They stacked the box and pressured the QB. Receivers were open at times, but Zergiotis was nervous. Also, after 2 games, it’s apparent that Zergiotis will not run and will try to sit in the pocket which makes it easier to defend.

The jet sweep to Ross worked for 7 yards as he was able to get to the corner. We needed more plays like that to spread the defense.

Honestly, I thought Beaudry looked better week 1 than Zergiotis has looked. And, Beaudry did not have Ross and Brown at WR in week 1. It looks like Zergiotis can throw better, but he lacks game experience.

Beaudry should have looked better. He was competing against an 0-4 Wagner defense, not Big Ten defenses. That said, I have no problem with the idea of giving Mike some run, or Steven Krajewski for that matter if Z is struggling. This year is a work in progress so let's not be afraid to experiment with the pieces.

Reaction Score
How can you dress two weeks ago and be available for that game and yet not be ready two weeks later, unless he got hurt again. Simply dressing for a game doesn't fool anyone. So why was he in uniform against Illinois? Makes no sense.

Dressing doesn't mean anything in college football. Indiana's QB dressed too

Reaction Score
145 yards of total offense for UConn yesterday was against Indiana not Ohio State. 1-3 Ball State put up 398 yards on Indiana.

At what point is this on HCRE2.0? This is game 27 of the slow and steady rebuild.

Massey has UConn at #201 (down from #190) out of 500 college football teams; one position behind an 0-3 Rhode Island team. So looks like would be competitive in the old Yankee conference. Seems Massey thinks if we played Rhode Island again this year would be a toss up (like last year). So UConn has improved (or disimproved) by about the same as Rhode Island from 2018 to 2019.

Just for reference, Wagner, UConn's only victory in its last 12 games is # 323, just behind Division 2 Bowie State.

Reaction Score
The RB Black on the roster hasn’t even been given a fair chance to make his presence seen it’s obvious the running game needs help.
You can't promote that many guys from GA to FBS position coaches on one side of the ball and expect those kids to be well coached!!!!!!
Grad Assistance to FBS Position coaches is why they can't figure out when a kid is ready or not. I see they have a RB Black on the roster another kid from Georgia the hot bed of football that had many FBS offers and they're treating him like he's not good enough to play on this team!!!!! Give the kid some playing time maybe he can contribute and help turn things around. Whats going on seems a little dis-functional!!!!!!!!!

I think you made your point...

Reaction Score
We couldn't run, and he put us behind 24-3 after the first drive, so what was there to be done to adapt? Roll out? Throw screens? Run wide? At that point you are limited in what you can change.
There was plenty to try which wasn’t. Roll out, definitely. More counters and traps. More TE passes which were open all day. Change up the backs.

Reaction Score
Beaudry should have looked better. He was competing against an 0-4 Wagner defense, not Big Ten defenses. That said, I have no problem with the idea of giving Mike some run, or Steven Krajewski for that matter if Z is struggling. This year is a work in progress so let's not be afraid to experiment with the pieces.
I agree but Beaudry had his shot and didn’t look sharp against a weak FCS team. Z has had his opportunities and did ok his first game but missed a lot of wide open receivers when he was not under pressure. Randy will start Z and most likely keep him in until late in the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can't promote that many guys from GA to FBS position coaches on one side of the ball and expect those kids to be well coached!!!!!!
The lack of experience not only effects the players development but also the play calling. We can’t go run, run, pass for the whole game. Offense needs to spread the field and keep the defense honest. When the play calling is so vanilla it’s not very hard for opposing coaches to anticipate what our OC will call next.

Reaction Score
Amazing! We continually discuss the slow RBs, poor QB play, OL disappointing and on and on. Let’s face it. RE 2 is actually a downgrade from Diacco. You hire a guy who left your program for his ‘dream job’ and then got fired. Now the program is at an all time low! Nuff said!

Reaction Score
Amazing! We continually discuss the slow RBs, poor QB play, OL disappointing and on and on. Let’s face it. RE 2 is actually a downgrade from Diacco. You hire a guy who left your program for his ‘dream job’ and then got fired. Now the program is at an all time low! Nuff said!
Quite the flip...
Surprised ! Lots to critique if they were an established program. Tackling was awful. Running game never got running. Couldn’t score TD’s in the red zone.
But this was really the first time they appeared to take a step forward towards developing a program. Lots of young guys contributed. Should pick up a few more wins this year and next year should be more than respectable.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't think folks realize how hard it is to win with weak (and young and inexperienced) QB play. It makes your OL have to block longer, your running backs can't get going because of zero aerial threat, and the defense stays on the field for 11 minutes longer than the offense (almost a full quarter of play longer).

For anyone that criticized Shirreffs or Pindell in the past, feel free to smack yourself in the face. We may actually have been 3-0 with one of those two guys behind center, and certainly 2-1. The QB cupboard is dry... and young...

Reaction Score
Zerg should have been pulled much earlier to give Steven Krajewski 5 or so series

Reaction Score
Grad Assistance to FBS Position coaches is why they can't figure out when a kid is ready or not. I see they have a RB Black on the roster another kid from Georgia the hot bed of football that had many FBS offers and they're treating him like he's not good enough to play on this team!!!!! Give the kid some playing time maybe he can contribute and help turn things around. Whats going on seems a little dis-functional!!!!!!!!!
Are you from Georgia??

Reaction Score
Quite the flip...
Good pickup! Not only did I flip but I flopped. Letting my angst and frustration get the best of me. Live in Ga now. Have tickets for the Navy game in November. I’ll be there and and yes I still bleed blue.

Reaction Score
Kinda makes you wonder what’s going on over there.

You really think Edsall has an agenda against your boy? I promise you he doesn't. I'd be willing to bet the house he came in no better than third in the practice evaluation and is getting treated accordingly. If friends posting decided the competition Steven Krajewski would be a landslide winner.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom