Lost in the outcome | The Boneyard

Lost in the outcome

Reaction Score
Yesterday was a ragged game against OSU. Ania was not playing as well as we have seen her play, and had some troubling turnovers. UCONN shooting ran and cold, and numerous lay-ups were missed. Fouls began to build up late against Olivia. Aubrey did some nice things, but also failed to finish on a couple of occasions. Crystal was over-worked and got banged around, but she hung in as the team leader. Megan was off and on and Williams the same. Kyla worked hard and hit another three!

OSU sent waves of players onto the court. Many of whom were wide bodies. They have 7 freshmen, 10 upperclassmen and one transfer. A well of 18 players from which to draw, and the OSU coach was determined to give each some court time. By way of contrast, we have 9 players. One of whom ( from Murray State ) remains an unknown ( But not likely an All American in waiting). So we play 8, two of whom are freshmen. One of whom we had to pluck from Poland, because UCONN had a difficult recruiting year.

As a whole, this was a stressful game, in which UCONN made an uncommon number of giveaways and turnovers. The offense never looked smooth. For a while, the defense didn't either. But, as the game wore on, OSU stopped making shots.

Lost in all of this muck is the fact that UCONN still came out the winner. They found a way.

It is fun to watch, even if our finger nails are bitten a bit down.

OSU is much improved, but not likely the equal of Maryland in the big 10 conference.
And not on the level of South Carolina ( best recruiting class in country ), Baylor, Louisville, Oregon and ND.

The real tests still loom.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
One of whom we had to pluck from Poland, because UCONN had a difficult recruiting year.

I don't know if that's completely fair to Anna. Based on what we've seen so far, she's having plenty of freshman moments, but it's obvious that Geno thinks highly of her. She is a stellar addition to any class and not even close to a recruiting consolation prize.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
OSU sent waves of players onto the court. Many of whom were wide bodies. They have 7 freshmen, 10 upperclassmen and one transfer. A well of 18 players from which to draw, and the OSU coach was determined to give each some court time.

Small correction, they have ten underclassmen, i. e., seven frosh and three sophomores. Total of 13 players on the roster.

Reaction Score
While Crystal came through at crunch time, I feel that the ragged play for the first three quarters also has to be credited to her. She is the floor general, and we were clearly lacking in direction, that falls on her. I think she is feeling her way into the season, following surgery in the off-season that is understandable.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
While Crystal came through at crunch time, I feel that the ragged play for the first three quarters also has to be credited to her. She is the floor general, and we were clearly lacking in direction, that falls on her. I think she is feeling her way into the season, following surgery in the off-season that is understandable.
I agree in part. I remarked during the game that there was a complete absence of hard cuts. Olivia’s toe can’t explain how few pick and roll or give and go assists she had.

Everything to me seemed to be a half step slow. Some of that was someone being open briefly, but the person with the ball either not recognizing it or seeing too late, and committing a turnover. That’s partly on Crystal. But more often it was that there was an opening or a screen set, and the player just didn’t get there in time.

Reaction Score
Yesterday was a ragged game against OSU. Ania was not playing as well as we have seen her play, and had some troubling turnovers. UCONN shooting ran and cold, and numerous lay-ups were missed. Fouls began to build up late against Olivia. Aubrey did some nice things, but also failed to finish on a couple of occasions. Crystal was over-worked and got banged around, but she hung in as the team leader. Megan was off and on and Williams the same. Kyla worked hard and hit another three!

OSU sent waves of players onto the court. Many of whom were wide bodies. They have 7 freshmen, 10 upperclassmen and one transfer. A well of 18 players from which to draw, and the OSU coach was determined to give each some court time. By way of contrast, we have 9 players. One of whom ( from Murray State ) remains an unknown ( But not likely an All American in waiting). So we play 8, two of whom are freshmen. One of whom we had to pluck from Poland, because UCONN had a difficult recruiting year.

As a whole, this was a stressful game, in which UCONN made an uncommon number of giveaways and turnovers. The offense never looked smooth. For a while, the defense didn't either. But, as the game wore on, OSU stopped making shots.

Lost in all of this muck is the fact that UCONN still came out the winner. They found a way.

OSU is much improved, but not likely the equal of Maryland in the big 10 conference.
And not on the level of South Carolina ( best recruiting class in country ), Baylor, Louisville, Oregon and ND.

Sorry, but only 15 players can suit up for a game. Hyperbole is never a good look.

Reaction Score
Small correction, they have ten underclassmen, i. e., seven frosh and three sophomores. Total of 13 players on the roster.

I was going to say that 18 players is kind of against the rules.

Reaction Score

Good Analysis. We must remember that even when our offense isn't clicking as in the past our defense is still excellent. Our defense will win many games this year. ALSO, defense wins championships!!!

Reaction Score

On Ania's turnovers: Ohio had quick hands. She was not the ONLY Uconn to have the ball taken away. Ohio was successful with that early on but once Uconn/Geno caught on Geno fixed it. Make no mistake Ania is an Asset to this team and will be after January when she will be needed, as will Griffin.
Geno went with Irwin because she is playing her best ball,ever, right now and Experiences was needed.

Reaction Score
The last time Uconn played a team with loads of underclassmen the game was nearly a loss and that was on their home court too---OKLAhoma in Norman. Sometimes teams just exceed their Peter principle.

Reaction Score
On Ania's turnovers: Ohio had quick hands. She was not the ONLY Uconn to have the ball taken away. Ohio was successful with that early on but once Uconn/Geno caught on Geno fixed it. Make no mistake Ania is an Asset to this team and will be after January when she will be needed, as will Griffin.
Geno went with Irwin because she is playing her best ball,ever, right now and Experiences was needed.
I agree. But let's also accept that Kyla has gotten better. And I concur that both freshmen will become top contributors. I should also point out that the OSU coach has mirrored some of the defensive focus he has seen from UCONN ( and his friend, Geno ). Why not? I would do the same.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but only 15 players can suit up for a game. Hyperbole is never a good look.
That may be, but the TV screen did list the 18 as I presented. So three didn't suit up? Or do they have to be red-shirts?

Reaction Score
I don't know if that's completely fair to Anna. Based on what we've seen so far, she's having plenty of freshman moments, but it's obvious that Geno thinks highly of her. She is a stellar addition to any class and not even close to a recruiting consolation prize.
Completely agree... and I firmly believe Anna WILL BE a big contributor to UCONN as the season progresses and in the next 3 seasons.

Reaction Score
I agree. But let's also accept that Kyla has gotten better. And I concur that both freshmen will become top contributors. I should also point out that the OSU coach has mirrored some of the defensive focus he has seen from UCONN ( and his friend, Geno ). Why not? I would do the same.
Certainly, I posted elsewhere that Kyla is playing the best basketball she has ever played at Uconn and she shows Senior leadership. Kudo's to her and GENO. Another coach may have never given her the opportunities to shine as she has in 2 games. Has she ARRIVED? Time shall tell. But it is amazingly good to see her Shine NOW.
As for the Ohio Coach mirroring Geno's defense, ==somewhat-- it was intense. The thing Geno does and few coaches have success at is: Conditioning. His kids, EACH, can play 40 minutes of intense defense if demanded.
Often in games the difference isn't Talent or more experience--it is being able to have legs that run the court and legs that allow Uconn kids to shoot with accuracy. It is very very hard to get kids (of any generation) to meet Geno's physical demands. But it works for Geno.

Reaction Score

There is no NCAA limit on how many players can suit up. I have seen as many as 24 players dressed for a game.

There may be a limit for league games however. Even then the limit may only apply to the road team.

Reaction Score
That may be, but the TV screen did list the 18 as I presented. So three didn't suit up? Or do they have to be red-shirts?
Their website has 13 players and only 10 have played in the first five games. I would trust the team website over a TV screen.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Certainly, I posted elsewhere that Kyla is playing the best basketball she has ever played at Uconn and she shows Senior leadership. Kudo's to her and GENO. Another coach may have never given her the opportunities to shine as she has in 2 games. Has she ARRIVED? Time shall tell. But it is amazingly good to see her Shine NOW.
As for the Ohio Coach mirroring Geno's defense, ==somewhat-- it was intense. The thing Geno does and few coaches have success at is: Conditioning. His kids, EACH, can play 40 minutes of intense defense if demanded.
Often in games the difference isn't Talent or more experience--it is being able to have legs that run the court and legs that allow Uconn kids to shoot with accuracy. It is very very hard to get kids (of any generation) to meet Geno's physical demands. But it works for Geno.
Well, at a lesser program, Kyla might have played a lot more. Our grad transfer was a key player on her mid major team and can’t see the court here for significant time, at least not yet. Kyla is an asset, and while she is a contributor, 3 years of limited use is a long wait.i like her, but she isn’t going to be a pro, at least not in the US. If she’s content with how she progressed in Storrs,that’s all that counts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom