Lost all respect for Sagarin "Recent" Ratings | The Boneyard

Lost all respect for Sagarin "Recent" Ratings

Reaction Score
Here is the link...The Jeff Sagarin/CBN Women's College Basketball Ratings | RPIRatings.com

The last column on the right shows how a team has done in recent games. You will notice that UConn is #2. You have to go all the way down to the #200 overall team to find the #1 recent team, Cal Poly.

If you look at what Cal Poly has done recently, they are 2-2 last 4, & 3-3 last 6. Not real sure how that makes them the #1 recent team.

Just doesn't make sense to me.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think something got goofed in the data. UC Santa Barbara is #4 in those ranking and that doesn't make any sense either. I had been looking at those rankings recently and the weren't throwing up anomalous results like that before today.

Reaction Score
There was probably a typo in a score that had them win a game by 1000 points or something. I bet it will be cleared up with the next update.

Reaction Score
It's been funky for a while. Right now Cal State Fullerton is -65.81. That's NEGATIVE 65.81. I think the negative rating is screwing up UCSB and Cal Poly (the code doesn't anticipate negative numbers). How Fullerton got to be negative I have no idea. But don't expect it to be fixed soon ... as I said, it's been funky for a while, at least a week or so.

Reaction Score
I sent Mr. Sukup, who runs the rpiratings.com site, an email and he responded to me saying he was passing the information on to Mr. Sagarin and that Mr. Sagarin was going to make some adjustments that should be seen in Wednesday's ratings.

Reaction Score
I sent Mr. Sukup, who runs the rpiratings.com site, an email and he responded to me saying he was passing the information on to Mr. Sagarin and that Mr. Sagarin was going to make some adjustments that should be seen in Wednesday's ratings.
Cool!!!

Reaction Score
Looks like the last column data has now been corrected as of this morning.

Reaction Score
Why would it take an E-mail from VaConnfan11 before they would correct such an egregious error? Don't they have anyone checking their results themselves? That's the problem with computer rankings. They have their place but only when put into context by actual humans.

Reaction Score
There was probably a typo in a score that had them win a game by 1000 points or something. I bet it will be cleared up with the next update.
The saying goes, 'Garbage in, Garbage out' !

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

Your kidding me, arn't you???? :rolleyes::eek:

Reaction Score
Your kidding me, arn't you???? :rolleyes::eek:

No. I am a doer. Something needed to be corrected and I started the process. In less than 24 hours it was corrected. Kudos to Mr. Sukup and Mr. Sagarin.

I have emailed with Mr. Sukup several times in the past regarding different issues and I have found him to be very proactive regarding the accuracy of stats / information.

Reaction Score
Why would it take an E-mail from VaConnfan11 before they would correct such an egregious error? Don't they have anyone checking their results themselves? That's the problem with computer rankings. They have their place but only when put into context by actual humans.

It's all automated, so no one ever looks at the finished results. The scores are pulled from a central database and his ratings get updated automatically. In this case, I don't think it was a score issue. I believe it was more of an algorithm issue.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
No. I am a doer. Something needed to be corrected and I started the process. In less than 24 hours it was corrected. Kudos to Mr. Sukup and Mr. Sagarin.

I have emailed with Mr. Sukup several times in the past regarding different issues and I have found him to be very proactive regarding the accuracy of stats / information.

My apologies, I didn't write my post clearly. I was making a little joke about Mr. Sukup's name. And, you know what hey say about explaining a joke. :)

I thought contacting them about the error was admirable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom