Loss to Cincy really simplifies things.....Magic Number is 1. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Loss to Cincy really simplifies things.....Magic Number is 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's truly mind-boggling how p1ss poor we are in this conference. This is a Cincy team on a down year, a Temple team that lost to ECU, Tulsa. We used to scoff at how bad this conference is but really, it's us. All we are doing is proving how useless we would be in bball in a P5 conference. People always saying we "instantly" bring up a P5 conference in men's bball. I don't see how that is even true anymore.
There is no substitute for playing high level competition week in and week out like the old BE. The teams made each other better. We are reverting to the mean inside of a conference which will kill UConn basketball.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yup, I think they get one more loss to SMU and one in the tourney semis or final before the bubble pops.

It's kind of ridiculous to lose that many games vs the bottom half of the top 100 with this much talent.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
We just don't have a Kemba, Bazz, or even a Boatright, who can either create their own shot or at least get enough space to kick it out to someone who can. .

We do though, Adams. He is not yet in the echelon or close to it of the players you mention but he is a guy who can get in the paint with speed and finish around the rim, and most importantly draw and kick. He is our only draw and kick guy. He is good at it, he has shown it. His shooting has not been good so there is a difference. But he gets more space for driving by default as guys cant leave Purvis and Gibbs alone at the stripe. The ball needed to be in his hands last night more than it was When we couldnt score to save our life he was the one who put us up four by driving.

Reaction Score
"We just don't have a Kemba, Bazz, or even a Boatright, who can either create their own shot or at least get enough space to kick it out to someone who can."

If that is indeed the case...then run some set plays/offenses! Most of college basketball doesn't have a guard at the Kemba/Bazz/Boat level, so they do what works best offensively by running sets.

Reaction Score
"We just don't have a Kemba, Bazz, or even a Boatright, who can either create their own shot or at least get enough space to kick it out to someone who can."

If that is indeed the case...then run some set plays/offenses! Most of college basketball doesn't have a guard at the Kemba/Bazz/Boat level, so they do what works best offensively by running sets.

Run offensive sets? What an idea!!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We have three guys who can create their own shot. None of them can hit them consistently because they bail at the last minute and can't finish.

Gibbs also has a bad habit of dribbling out half the shot clock and not paying attention to it.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think the selection committee will take into account the fact that two of our close losses came when Brimah was out and he could have been the difference we needed?
Yes. They'll take it into account. And then they'll leave us out.

Reaction Score
One question I have is, does anyone think the selection committee will take into account the fact that two of our close losses came when Brimah was out and he could have been the difference we needed?

The thing with Brimah is that we lost a few games against mediocre teams with him. In order to prove that he was valuable to the team, we will have to win most of the games with him after he comes back. If we do that, we're in anyways, so his absence won't help us in that regard. Most likely impact is that if we do go on a winning streak with him, it could bump up our seeding.

Reaction Score
If we finish 22-9 in the regular season, we'll have to at least make it to the AAC final. With 10 losses in the regular season, it's conference tourney win or NIT. Good thing is, our schedule doesn't look that tough throughout the rest of the year. UCF twice, Memphis, East Carolina, Temple, Tulsa, Cincinnati, USF, Houston, and SMU twice. The only games I'm really worried about are Cincinnati and SMU. My gut is we finish with 9 losses.
Not that tough? We have to play three teams that we've already lost to (2 will be on the road), SMU twice who has owned us since joining this conference, and Memphis on the road. We are in trouble. Need to win games and it won't be easy.

The optimist in me says we beat UCF tomorrow. Brimah comes back for Memphis and we win there on the road and don't look back. Call me crazy.

Reaction Score
We do though, Adams. He is not yet in the echelon or close to it of the players you mention but he is a guy who can get in the paint with speed and finish around the rim, and most importantly draw and kick. He is our only draw and kick guy. He is good at it, he has shown it. His shooting has not been good so there is a difference. But he gets more space for driving by default as guys cant leave Purvis and Gibbs alone at the stripe. The ball needed to be in his hands last night more than it was When we couldnt score to save our life he was the one who put us up four by driving.
I think when the clock is winding down, it has to be in Adam's hands. If he doesn't take the shot he has the best chance to get it to an open man. I 'm not worried about his shooting.

Reaction Score
Future is bright for the program with these recruiting classes they're pulling in but this team is certainly a disappointment for sure. There's really no way around it at this point.

The downside to a transfer-laden team is all over these guys. Lots of guys having to learn an entirely new system almost overnight. Some talented but obviously gawky underclass players who aren't really ready to assume the lead yet. Inconsistent play from bedrock players. The injury to Brimah certainly hasn't helped and kind of further exacerbated a pre-existing weakness.

It's also really hard to get a read on what this team ACTUALLY IS. They've lost to virtually every good team they've played. They've beaten virtually every team they should soundly beat. On the other hand - every game is an adventure. One half they're running Maryland off the court. The next half, they're trying to fend off Tulane. Could be that well... this is what they are - but it's incredible to think that if three of these close games went the other way, we'd be singing a radically different tune about these guys.

Just one of those stuck in second gear seasons, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom