losing my dad | Page 2 | The Boneyard

losing my dad

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
So sorry for your loss.

I don't know if this is any consolation, but as a parent, the most calming situation for me in my final moments would be to know that my child or children loved me and wanted to spend their final days with me. I am sure based on what you've posted that your father knew of your deep love for him and that fact made him at peace.

Reaction Score
Our likes are compassionate and not reflective of your post (news). My dad is in his late 80s, and I will look back on your post when my time comes.

So sorry for your lost, apparently he did a good job as a dad.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Our families thoughts and prayers are with you and deepest condolences to you. Thank you for expressing yourself so well in this difficult time. Your Dad must have been a very special man for you to write such a wonderful tribute. Grateful for his service.

Reaction Score
Very sorry for your loss. Your dad gave a lot to his country as a Vet and city as a cop and we thank him for that. Also sorry to hear that he had such a tough go of it with his health. I'm glad you had such a great relationship with him that you can remember as you go on. Be well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I very sorry for your loss. It sounds like you and dad had a great relationship. Like many of here, I spent a lot time talking UConn basketball with my dad as well. I still miss his insights. This season as it appeared that UConn was working it way back, I couldn't help but think that my dad would have been excited about it. I glad you and your dad had a chance to share that.

Reaction Score
Sorry for you lose Doginuas. Your love you have for you father is something we share. My mom passed awhile back and only have my dad. We too share sports stories and talk UConn Basketball and politics. He did not become a cop but his father and Uncles were.

Prayers go out to your family.

Reaction Score
I just lost my dad. Through it all, his mind was still sharp but, his body finally gave up. I will miss our weekly phone calls where we mostly talked Uconn basketball, sports, old cars and politics. Being native Nutmeggers, we both loved Uconn basketball and our fiery coach, Mr. Jim Calhoun.

During our weekly phone calls during basketball season, he would always ask me about each Uconn game and I would try to describe, as best I could, a rough play by play. This was a bond that we both shared and thoroughly enjoyed.

My dad was a Marine and served during the Korean Conflict in the 50’s. He retired as a cop with over 25 years of service then finished out his working career as a Lead Investigator for the State of Connecticut. Not only was he a proud Marine and loved wearing his Korean Veteran Cap, he was always proud to say that he was a cop…just like his dad. Both my grandpa and my dad were Hartford cops; with their combined service beginning in the 1930s and ending in the 1960s. My dad’s hero was his dad and though my dad lived his life as his own man he always strove to make my grandpa proud, and he did. I live my life the same way, I was fortunate to hear my dad tell me that he was proud of me and what I did. I don’t have any regrets except one; that I didn’t spend more time with him.

As he aged, life threw him a series of curve balls. In his late 70s, he was diagnosed with macular degeneration and was legally blind. He also beat stage 4 throat cancer for 5 years. This last battle was his hardest, the cancer returned; this time to his neck causing him problems swallowing which resulted in a feeding tube and fluid on the lungs. The cancer had metastasized and ended up in other parts of his body. The final blow was having an artery in his chest tear, causing internal bleeding and heart stoppage. They revived him, which allowed me one more day to visit with him and to say my good bye.

Sadly, we take life and relationships for granted because we are so busy living life. I didn’t know how long my dad was going to live; I guess I just expected him to always be there. I was very, very fortunate, I got to spend 3 of his last 5 days with him and our time together during those days was more precious to me than gold. We spoke about our lives, our family and old friends. He must have known something that I did not because he told me that he needed for someone to write his obituary. I told him that I had a pad of paper and a pen and that I was ready to write everything down. Little did I know that I would lose him 2 days later.

I am writing this post as a reminder; love and keep in contact with family and friends because you never know when you may say your last good bye. Don’t put off the “I love you’s” because you may never get another chance to speak those special words again. I loved hearing my dad say; “I love you son” just as much as he loved hearing me say; “I love you dad”. We get caught up in life and allow those special times and sayings to get put on the back burner. Hug your wife, hug your parents and hug your children and always tell them that you love them. Our families are our most precious and prized possessions, treat them as such.

In closing, I would like to say one more time; “I love you Dad…”
Sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing his story and your perspective. That was beautiful.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear this. My dad died in front of me when I was 7. I hear stories like this a lot on Facebook. On the good hand you got to enjoy a full relationship with him— thTs a great deal to be thankful for.
As we get older we deteriorate. At 51 I found out I have Parkinson’s and it’s been tough to deal with as I was a strong active healthy guy — now I’ll never be again.
agAin best wishes
Geezus, I'm so sorry to hear this.

So much sad news.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Very sad to read this, Dog. What a great write-up, too. He sounds like a true tough-as-nails sonofabitch and you are lucky to have called him dad.

Peace to him and all of you.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Sorry for your loss.
I appreciate where you're coming from. My dad and I got very close when I was in my early 20s, and I was with him when he suffered a cerebral hemorrhage at the age of 56. That was 52 years ago, and I still remember the feeling of helplessness, and still berate myself for waiting so long to become best friends with him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom