Losing basketball plays | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Losing basketball plays

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
ALL OF THE ABOVE except I don’t see us on the 8/9 line at all.
The loss of Cole hurt down the stretch as well.
Such raw emotion from the players after the game - tough to watch.
I am going to lose some sleep tonight but still looking forward to the Selection show on Sunday.
The loss of Cole was caused by Cole...he was out of control on that play.

Reaction Score
The Youngest guys are our most talented players. Our upperclassmen are a combination of transfers (really good ones) and players with less capability than our underclassmen (the Ollie guys).

Hurley has put together a solid team. And he has developed our guys pretty well (Whaley).

Once the freshman and Sophomores on our team reach their senior season, we are gonna gel the way Creighton is right now.

When the bulk of the Hurley recruits start becoming seniors and he brings in his freshman with them, we are gonna be a force.

We will have a core of his even more talented players that have been together longer than this group now.

We have talent and we have chemistry this year too, yes, but not as much time together as some of the other talented teams in our league. Like Creighton

Reaction Score
Turning point was simple - Bouk missed foul shot , zegarowski comes back hits the and one sanogo gets his fourth foul - RJ Cole gets concussion - gaffney taked stupid ass drive - ball game night night. Doesn’t take a brain surgeon to notice that.
Right on point. I cringed when Bouk missed that front end of the 1x1 because I knew that could be a turning point and it was blown opportunity to go up 7.

UConn had their chances to win this game, but alas it wasn't meant to be.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Another year for what?

He needs to get physically stronger, which he can do just fine in the NBA.
Being physically stronger wouldn’t have helped him tonight.

Reaction Score
Being physically stronger wouldn’t have helped him tonight.
Sure. How does that help him personally and his career to do the same thing at UConn he can do in the pros?

Reaction Score
Sanogo had two of his four fouls on an arm hook call on offense and on a rebound on a missed FT. He can't be doing that.

Moment, okay the entire game, was bigger than Gaff. He was brutally bad tonight.
Sanogo is a freshman sooo. I’m happy he knows the hook. Now he needs to learn to get away with it. Bouk was clearly beat coming into this game. I actually thought Jackson should have spelled him a bit after his play last night at least as a ball handler since gaffney gets nervous sometimes with the ball.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Sure. How does that help him personally and his career to do the same thing at UConn he can do in the pros?
Strength he can work on in the pros yes. He didn’t look NBA ready tonight, and Creighton is the best team we’ve played all year by far.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t go pro, he should and will. But I think he’d benefit as a player more by spending another year at UConn vs. getting 10 minutes off the bench for some sub .500 NBA team. Financially obviously not however.

Reaction Score
Strength he can work on in the pros yes. He didn’t look NBA ready tonight, and Creighton is the best team we’ve played all year by far.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t go pro, he should and will. But I think he’d benefit as a player more by spending another year at UConn vs. getting 10 minutes off the bench for some sub .500 NBA team. Financially obviously not however.
As a lottery pick, he's going to get more than 10 minutes off the bench. He'll develop more in the NBA than he will in college. Developing more in college is a myth. The only reason you'd come back is if you don't have the draft capital.

If you have ESPN+, the source for my claim of myth: Pelton: NBA develops players better

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
As a lottery pick, he's going to get more than 10 minutes off the bench. He'll develop more in the NBA than he will in college. Developing more in college is a myth. The only reason you'd come back is if you don't have the draft capital.

If you have ESPN+, the source for my claim of myth: Pelton: NBA develops players better
Fair points. I think if he learns how to be an alpha male leader in college it’ll better suit him for the NBA.

Reaction Score
Bouknight misses front end of 1-and-1. Sanogo fouls on the loose ball and has to sit with 4. Wide open 3 to tie. Gaffney absurdly dumb shot. Give up basket. Bouk falls down and turns it over. Zigabeltwdnski basket.

From up 3 with Bouk at the line to down 4 in the blink of an eye.

We had the momentum and a chance to start putting them away and that sequence changed everything.
This exact sequence will (hopefully) be a learning opportunity for DH. He can’t let his teams collapse and make mental errors like that. Should have stuff ready to run that everyone is comfortable with and can execute. This is how JC kept his teams even keel.

Keep in mind that this was arguably DH’s biggest game as a coach he has to learn too.

Reaction Score

I'm not that concerned about him offensively or getting bigger but I think he's got a way to go defensively. I feel like he's going to get torched in the NBA unless his defense improves.

Reaction Score
Fair points. I think if he learns how to be an alpha male leader in college it’ll better suit him for the NBA.
I fall into this same trap as you. But in the end, these kids just want to play in the NBA and if the NBA scouts want him and he wants to go, it doesn't matter if he doesn't have that moment in the Garden that so many of our greats have had.

He would have that next year. I mean honestly, if he came back next year we'd be the favorite to win the regular season, the BE championship, and make a very deep run toward the the finals.

But a lot of these kids want to go as soon as their is legit interest. That's why when you get a Shabazz Napier type come thru the program you cherish the hell out of it as a UConn fan. Those are the types of players - the 3-4 year players who don't get immediately scooped up by the NBA - that have been enormous for us.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Hard to compare Bouk and his projections and therefore options and perspective vs Napier's projections his soph, junior or senior year and his options. We will soon find out what Bouk will do. There was never any doubt w/ Napier whether he would continue his collegiate career following his sophomore year and we know what he did.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Bouk is putting too much pressure on himself and thinking about his future in the NBA. He is not focused right now. People need to stop with the NBA talk for now and just let him be a college player. He needs to get his head straight before the tournament next week or we are screwed.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
From the point Bouk made his 2nd FT to take a 53-48 lead with 5:44 left, UConn scored three points.

Bouknight missed jumper @5:17, 53-48
Cole missed layup @4:39, 53-50
Bouknight missed FT @4:12, 53-50
Gaffney missed layup @3:19, 53-53
Polley missed 3pt @2:08, 53-57
Whaley 1 of 2 FT @2:01, 54-57
Whaley missed jumper @1:20, 54-57
Bouknight 2 FT @0:31, 56-57
Bouknight missed 3pt @0:16, 56-59
Bouknight missed layup @0:09, 56-59
Polley missed 3pt @0:07, 56-59

0-8 shooting, 4-6 from FT line.

Reaction Score
With all of the stuff that happened last night it still came down to a one-possession game vs a Sweet Sixteen caliber team. Our inexperience and their experience showed in the last five minutes of the game. We had a chance to tie the game at the end with our two best three point shooters getting shots from 3--Bouk and Tyler Phommachanh.Shots didn't go down -Game over.

Zegs schooled Gaff most of the game when matched up against each other.. Hope Gaff learned something .Missed RJ's leadership going down the stretch.

A few more comments. Bouk looked like he was playing on ice skates all night --Don't know if his hydration issues had anything to do with his leg stability late in game or not. Mahoney was making him uncomfortable with his physical D.

Refs are looking for Sanogo to make touch fouls.. Creighton wanted him on the bench He accommodated them. Blue Jays play smart BB and know how to pick up cheap fouls.Classic example was when Mahoney suckered AS into running him over/bumping into him in a mid-court sequence 40-50 ft from the basket. Smart BB.

Positive takeaway-- Was an excellent game between two physical teams and should provide a template for success for the Tournament. Lets enjoy Selection Sunday-Its been awhile.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bouknight misses front end of 1-and-1. Sanogo fouls on the loose ball and has to sit with 4. Wide open 3 to tie. Gaffney absurdly dumb shot. Give up basket. Bouk falls down and turns it over. Zigabeltwdnski basket.

From up 3 with Bouk at the line to down 4 in the blink of an eye.

We had the momentum and a chance to start putting them away and that sequence changed everything.

So gross. Hello 8/9 game.
Totally agree. That missed 1 -and-1 changed the game entirely. Gaffney made multiple really bad decisions offensively as well.

Reaction Score
We are in the normal UConn progression. If Bouk came back for his Junior year we would have a chance to realistically compete for the national championship. I know he’s not but we are on normal schedule, with the players coming next year and Bouk staying and Polley and Whaley staying, who would beat us? A dream I know but we would I think win it all.
Many teams could say that especially with the extra year. The mid majors are tough because they get players for 4+ years and not so many one or two and done players. This grind will only accelerate with the new professional options.

Reaction Score
With all of the stuff that happened last night it still came down to a one-possession game vs a Sweet Sixteen caliber team. Our inexperience and their experience showed in the last five minutes of the game. We had a chance to tie the game at the end with our two best three point shooters getting shots from 3--Bouk and Tyler Phommachanh.Shots didn't go down -Game over.

Zegs schooled Gaff most of the game when matched up against each other.. Hope Gaff learned something .Missed RJ's leadership going down the stretch.

A few more comments. Bouk looked like he was playing on ice skates all night --Don't know if his hydration issues had anything to do with his leg stability late in game or not. Mahony was making him uncomfortable with his physical D.

Refs are looking for Sanogo to make touch fouls.. Creighton wanted him on the bench He accommodated them. Blue Jays play smart BB and know how to pick up cheap fouls.

Positive takeaway-- Was an excellent game between two physical teams and should provide a template for success for the Tournament. Lets enjoy Selection Sunday-Its been awhile.
Good points, especially the touch or spin fouls on Sanogo. The C coach took pains to place both hands on the shoulder of a ref in the first half. While I don't know what was said, It shouldn't happen in a game like this. The ref should have pulled away. He didn't, it was unprofessional IMO!

Reaction Score
Is Bouknight trying to set a record for falling down without contact? Must have been 10x or more. The play where he lucked out to regain possession comes to mind. Tiffany Hayes is the only other player that comes to mind that falls so much.
Yes, this is an art form, developed by Duke!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom