Los Angeles Sparks @ Seattle Storm - 7/10/18 | The Boneyard

Los Angeles Sparks @ Seattle Storm - 7/10/18

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Finally LA wins a game... I know they will lose the next one though... Head bang

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
KML going out with a concussion.

Crap. :mad::mad::mad:

Double Crap. LA beats Seattle in OT 77-75. Stewie had a point blank layup to tie at the buzzer but was worried about beating the clock and rushed it. :mad::mad::mad:

Reaction Score
77-75 Sparks final in OT

Parker 21 pts, 9 reb, 10 ast, 4 stl, 2 blk

Howard 18 pts, 7 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl. 5 blk

Reaction Score
Ugly, ugly and more ugly. That's the word that comes to mind to describe almost every aspect of this game. Let's hope Kaleena recovers quickly, and that the team learns from what happened to them today at Key Arena. Better to go through a game like this now instead of during the playoffs.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
LA is a really good defensive team and they focused on stopping Stewart and Bird. They took away the lane and gave Loyd wide open jump shots. Jewell needs to hit some of them if Seattle wants to go deep in the playoffs.

LA should be the best team in the league though they haven't played like it, particularly offensively. Sims's and Lavender's struggles are part of the problem.

Reaction Score
One of LA's problems recently was accumulative fatigue. This game was the first in a long time where they had more than one days rest between games. Their early season had too much time between games that was made up during their last two road trips. They had two weeks of every other day games with one back to back last Saturday and Sunday. It impacted their defense and offense at the end of games. That is precisely what happened on a lesser scale to Seattle this game.

The played the Mystics on Sunday and played and early game today- 36 hours between games. However they were fortunate to catch the Mystics on their back to back road game. The inability for Seattle to score was a combination of LA having their best simi rested defensive line up in at the end compounded with a bit of Seattle fatigue. Seattle is very good at running screens and switches to get their players open and Williams and Sims are defensive liabilities on those. When they were on the bench at the end of the game LA defense was lock down.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm watching the Sportscenter recap of the game. Here's the only part of it I can remember:

4.2 seconds left
"Candace Parker, cuz she's a star, working on (Bri) Stewart, fadeaway, No!"

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
LA is a really good defensive team and they focused on stopping Stewart and Bird. They took away the lane and gave Loyd wide open jump shots. Jewell needs to hit some of them if Seattle wants to go deep in the playoffs.

LA should be the best team in the league though they haven't played like it, particularly offensively. Sims's and Lavender's struggles are part of the problem.

You can attribute the Sparks attention to detail on defense to their head coach Brian Agler. The man knows what he is doing. Remember he has won 2 chips thus far.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Remember he has won 2 chips thus far.

With 2 different franchises. I would guess that puts him in really rare company in the WNBA.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think you guys will like this.

Attachments

• 0429181329_zps4u3qubka.jpg
    0429181329_zps4u3qubka.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 37

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Parker won this battle vs Stewart. 21 points, 9 boards, 10 assists, and 4 steals. Howard was fantastic for Seattle, Bird and Clark looked good too. Loyd really struggled, Stewart didn't have one of her better shooting nights. They lost the game to turnovers.

LA won but didn't look like a dominant team....I'd probably bet on Seattle in a best of 5 series come playoff time. Sims has struggled at the 2 guard spot after a fantastic post season last year, and Riquna Williams has been very streaky as a backup. They can hit 3s but they don't have reliable threats. Parker, Sims, Williams and Nneka can run cold, Gray and Carson don't take a lot of triples, and Beard isn't a big threat. Lavender always steps into her shots so they become long 2s. They need Sims to step up if they want to get back to the Finals.

Reaction Score
So true, LA is excellent defensively when they want to be, but they look tired a lot on offense. They have so many weapons on paper, but I’m beginning to wonder if they need a new strategy. They need to focus on high low with Parker and OGWUMIKE. She doesn’t post up enough. Parker also needs to take open threes. Gray should be third option, and she would do better if she took the ball to the basket.
Although sims has struggled this year, I would continue to play her for her defense. She can get shots, she just needs to focus on finishing. Really, her problem moreso is that she isn’t a great passer for a former PG.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
So true, LA is excellent defensively when they want to be, but they look tired a lot on offense. They have so many weapons on paper, but I’m beginning to wonder if they need a new strategy. They need to focus on high low with Parker and OGWUMIKE. She doesn’t post up enough. Parker also needs to take open threes. Gray should be third option, and she would do better if she took the ball to the basket.
Although sims has struggled this year, I would continue to play her for her defense. She can get shots, she just needs to focus on finishing. Really, her problem moreso is that she isn’t a great passer for a former PG.

The high low between Candace/Nneka is virtually unstoppable. Nneka is so quick and has glue hands, Parker is one of the best passers in the league and has height to see over the defense. I'd say keep Nneka 15 feet and in, have Parker run the offense from the high post or 3pt line. Her and Nneka draw so much attention that it'll open things up for Carson/Beard/Sims for 15-20 foot jumpers. When it isn't working, give the ball to Gray and let her create.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom