Los Angeles Sparks @ Las Vegas Aces - 6/29/18 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Los Angeles Sparks @ Las Vegas Aces - 6/29/18

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Please look at the box score. She is part of the roster, there are only 12 spots on the team and she has been on it all season. Go to ESPN.com and look.

Serge, you're right, Jefferson is listed on the roster (because she's under contract, but injured), but she IS NOT active. There are 13 players listed, but only 12 are ACTIVE. The league only allows teams to have 12 ACTIVE players on their roster. Once Mo is activated, someone will either be cut or waived, and will no longer be under contract.

The Sparks cut Cappie Pondexter this week. They only have 11 ACTIVE players on their roster today. No doubt they are looking to fill that spot in the near future with someone they think can help the team win. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Mo is on the roster and does not impact the overall count. Nobody will be waived when she returns. However, someone will be waived when/if Isabelle Harrison returns.

Reaction Score
Please look at the box score. She is part of the roster, there are only 12 spots on the team and she has been on it all season. Go to ESPN.com and look.

I thought they had a health exemption on Jefferson, but you’re probably right. It’s actually Harrison who is not on the active roster. If and when she returns, somebody will have to go. Would it still be Allen? Most teams don’t need three PG’s, and he seems to like all his current players.

Swords doesn’t seem all that useful, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he gave her a guaranteed contract to lure her to Vegas.

Reaction Score
She’s not a part of the active roster. When she becomes a part of the active roster, somebody will have to go. There’s a limit of 12 on the active roster. Count ‘em up.
Actually there are 13 on the roster including Harrison and Jefferson, so when Jefferson gets back no one has to be waived since Harrison isn’t playing correct? See link.

Roster – Las Vegas Aces

Carnac

Reaction Score
Actually there are 13 on the roster including Harrison and Jefferson, so when Jefferson gets back no one has to be waived since Harrison isn’t playing correct? See link.

Roster – Las Vegas Aces

Upon further review (and a closer look at the names on the roster), I agree with your explanation. You are correct sir, and I stand corrected. :oops:

Reaction Score
I missed most of Moriah's half-time interview. Did she actually say that she's faster now? Can't wait for her return. The Aces seem to be becoming a very good team. If Parker gave anywhere near Hamby's effort she'd be a world beater.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I missed most of Moriah's half-time interview. Did she actually say that she's faster now? Can't wait for her return. The Aces seem to be becoming a very good team. If Parker gave anywhere near Hamby's effort she'd be a world beater.

Agree with your comment on Parker. I like Hamby. They are still a year or two away from being a legitimate contender to win a championship, but they are on the right track. They are still a very young team. Laimbeer is going to be there for awhile. 7 of their 11 losses have been by 10 points or less. They also need to improve their fg% in the paint. They blow a lot of easy shots under the basket.

He'll get the personnel he needs in short order. He was hired by MGM to put together a team that can win WNBA championships. Trader Bill and his staff are pretty good judges of talent. They'll get it done. This team is much better than their last two teams. Their defense needs serious work. They give up too many easy or uncontested baskets. They could use another forward that can shoot and will play some defense.

If JiSu Park continues to develop, they should be OK at the post position, although it wouldn't hurt to get one more BIG i.e., Teaira McCowan (Miss st) or Kalani Brown (Baylor). You can never have too many quality BIGS, like you can never have too much money. :cool:

Reaction Score
A’Ja Wilson schooled Candace Parker. She has games like this every year where she doesn’t score much and showing a lack of effort. Does this have anything to do with why she didn’t make the Olympic team? Effort on defense?
I agreed with Parker not getting the Olympic nod. However, it supplied all the motivation she needed to go on to win the championship that year. I didn’t see her loaf in one game all year. The previous year was her worst. What’s great about the W is 95% of the players give total effort all the time. Skill is the difference maker when effort is equal and Parker woke up.

Reaction Score
There is so much upside to the Aces team. Very jealous. They are fun to watch and to me, it looks like Hamby and Plum have taken there game to a new level. Ji-Su park looks like a keeper in the mold of Lambeer, Wilson is already an All Star and McBride looks very strong lately although I still think she runs a bit hot and cold at times. Allen had some electrifying drives as well and was a favorite of mine on the Liberty having to fight her way onto a squad.
No one runs more hot and cold than Asia Durr. I’ll take McBride all day. She’s a gamer and tough.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I missed a bunch of WNBA action while on a road trip. Getting caught up on box scores. Plum scored 14 on only 7 FGA and also had 9 rebounds, 5 assists and 0 turnovers. Followed it up w/ 12 point on 7 FGA and 5 assist/2 TO's. Nobody realistically expected her to lead the league in scoring but if she can score in low double figures w/ efficient shooting and have a 2+/1 ATO ratio she can still be a better than average player in the W. I think missing all of camp and some games at the beginning of the year due to being overseas was absolutely the worst possible scenario for her coming off her rookie year and then a new coach/GM, practically a new franchise. I'm not giving up on her yet.

Reaction Score
I missed a bunch of WNBA action while on a road trip. Getting caught up on box scores. Plum scored 14 on only 7 FGA and also had 9 rebounds, 5 assists and 0 turnovers. Followed it up w/ 12 point on 7 FGA and 5 assist/2 TO's. Nobody realistically expected her to lead the league in scoring but if she can score in low double figures w/ efficient shooting and have a 2+/1 ATO ratio she can still be a better than average player in the W. I think missing all of camp and some games at the beginning of the year due to being overseas was absolutely the worst possible scenario for her coming off her rookie year and then a new coach/GM, practically a new franchise. I'm not giving up on her yet.
I am an avid Aces fan. Those are very good numbers but I don’t like her game in the W. At least not yet. She can’t convert on drives enough and her ball handling isn’t great. She’ll continue getting exposed. Scary in closing minutes of tight games. The good defensive guards love taking her on.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
No one runs more hot and cold than Asia Durr. I’ll take McBride all day. She’s a gamer and tough.

McBride has been quite steady this year shooting the ball and is having by far her best season yet. She's best in a Klay Thompson/Robin role rather than Batman. Now that Wilson is getting attention inside, it has opened a lot of space for McBride on the perimeter and she doesn't have to shoulder the 'go to' burden. And as you mentioned, she's an absolute gamer and is tough as nails. Definitely the kind of player you'd want taking a shot at the end of the game. Once they get Jefferson back up to speed, Stars will have one of the best PG/wing/post trios in the league.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I am an avid Aces fan. Those are very good numbers but I don’t like her game in the W. At least not yet. She can’t convert on drives enough and her ball handling isn’t great. She’ll continue getting exposed. Scary in closing minutes of tight games. The good defensive guards love taking her on.

More than that, Jefferson is a far better PG than Plum and Allen is more than serviceable as a backup to Jefferson. They really don't have a need for Plum IMO. She still has trade value and you don't need 3 PGs on your team. If they're in the lottery again, I'd either:
1. Draft McCowan or Brown, package her with Plum and try to land a top wing or forward (Loyd/Jonquel Jones/Moore/an Ogwumike)
2. Draft KLS if you get a pick 3rd or lower. Trade Plum straight up for a good wing/two guard (maybe Nurse or Prince), put KLS in at the 3 as a starter or backing up Young, and you now have a lineup of Park/Wilson/KLS/McBride/Jefferson with Hamby, Allen, Young, and Nurse/Prince off the bench. Roster is incredibly young, but I think they'd be loaded with gamers and could be in the finals by 2020. Vegas does not need 3 PGs, nor do they need a space eater inside. Wilson does best playing the 5 and having others stretch the floor so she can utilize her size and quickness inside to get good position and good looks at the basket. Build the team around her, McBride, and Jefferson and they will be spectacular.

Reaction Score
More than that, Jefferson is a far better PG than Plum and Allen is more than serviceable as a backup to Jefferson. They really don't have a need for Plum IMO. She still has trade value and you don't need 3 PGs on your team. If they're in the lottery again, I'd either:
1. Draft McCowan or Brown, package her with Plum and try to land a top wing or forward (Loyd/Jonquel Jones/Moore/an Ogwumike)
2. Draft KLS if you get a pick 3rd or lower. Trade Plum straight up for a good wing/two guard (maybe Nurse or Prince), put KLS in at the 3 as a starter or backing up Young, and you now have a lineup of Park/Wilson/KLS/McBride/Jefferson with Hamby, Allen, Young, and Nurse/Prince off the bench. Roster is incredibly young, but I think they'd be loaded with gamers and could be in the finals by 2020. Vegas does not need 3 PGs, nor do they need a space eater inside. Wilson does best playing the 5 and having others stretch the floor so she can utilize her size and quickness inside to get good position and good looks at the basket. Build the team around her, McBride, and Jefferson and they will be spectacular.
I hope you’re right. I’m not convinced Plum would have the trade value of getting a 1st rounder in return even now. Everyone is so high on Jefferson. I didn’t see her at her best when she played last year. So I hope everyone on here is right about her. Even if you are there is still the health/concussion issue. Did she have concussions in college too? I hope she gives us some answers by staying on the court every game for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I hope you’re right. I’m not convinced Plum would have the trade value of getting a 1st rounder in return even now. Everyone is so high on Jefferson. I didn’t see her at her best when she played last year. So I hope everyone on here that knows her game a lot more than my short sampling is right. Plus, how do you have any confidence Jefferson stays healthy with her concussion issues? If you can’t stay on the court it won’t matter how good you are. We’ll have some answers by the end of the season on who fits this team better or rotate both.

Who knows if she can stay healthy, but I don’t think Plum is the right fit or answer at PG for Vegas. Maybe she’ll prove me wrong, she has skills and is playing better as of late, but I’d put my money on Jefferson over Plum, health issues and all.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
an Ogwumike

Either LA or Connecticut would both have to be crazy to give up their Ogwumike for a package of Plum + high draft pick. Don't see it happening.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom