Los Angeles Sparks @ Connecticut Sun - 5/24/18 | The Boneyard

Los Angeles Sparks @ Connecticut Sun - 5/24/18

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Good competitive game so far. 26-26. Karlie looked good on a side jumper adter slipping nicely off of a good screen set by her and also drained a 3pt shot. Definitely ahead of Weisz on the depth chart I think. Smart player. Stricklen very sharp and into the game. 1Q interview with Agler. Respects the Sun alot including on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
47-46 Sparks at the half

Chelsea Gray 11 pts, 3 ast

Reaction Score
ogwsis.jpg

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Lou in CT without the rest of the team (return for summer school next week) means she's probably rehabbing. Her teammates arrive next week.

Reaction Score
If your Minnesota or LA, you want Connecticut to be on the opposite of the bracket. This team will be dangerous in the playoffs

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
LA is so tough to kill. Must lead the league in overcoming big deficits in last minute with great trapping defense. I remember than doing a number on my liberty a few years back.

Edit. Ding Dong the witch is dead. Tough last possession with Karlie coughing up the ball going for a last second 3

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don’t think Tuck sniffed the court

4 minutes in the first half. Same as Rachel Banham. LA is so athletic, not a good match for Morgan

Reaction Score
That was an exciting game. CT will be tough to beat if they keep playing offense like that. Averaging 101.5 in two games. The next team is LA at 86. CT has the weapons. This season is going to be a fun ride.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
LA might be the most complete team in the league this year with Parker in the mix. Her/Nneka make the best 1-2 frontline in the league, and Gray/Sims may be the best guard duo. Their weakness is offensive firepower on the wing, but if Beard can hit midrange and if Carson is hitting from midrange/deep, I'm not sure anyone can beat them in the playoffs.

Connecticut looked fantastic today, they shot the ball lights out. JJ/Chiney is going to make one heck of a front court. Both are so long and athletic. A. Thomas is fantastic, J. Thomas looked very good once again, and Williams is explosive in the backcourt. Extremely athletic team at all positions. I'm not sure players like Brionna Jones, Tuck, and Banham will break into the rotation this year.

Reaction Score
The game was exciting! But you have to take it with a grain of salt for a few reasons. 1) it's really early. And 2) The Sparks were without Parker and Lavender. And the announcers believe Vadeeva could be coming as well (from the Lynx game I heard). A win is a win. It was a joy to watch. Can't wait till Parker makes her return.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Definitely ahead of Weisz on the depth chart I think.

It went sideways, but I was trying to make this same point during the opener against the Lynx. It is surprising that Samuelson was cut and Wiese was kept on the roster, but as soon as they brought Samuelson back on board she jumped ahead of Wiese. I don't know why they didn't just cut Wiese instead a week ago or whenever the rosters were finalized. On paper they may not play the same position but they are similar enough that it makes sense they are competing for PT. Not sure if they even consider Wiese a backup PG or just a guard/wing.

Looked at box score, Wiese was a DNP tonight. Only played about 3 minutes in the opener, not sure about the game in between.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Forgot this game was on, missed it. How was the battle of the Ogwumikes? Were they matched up with each other very often?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Any word about Parker's return? Lavender must be due to join the team real soon as well. During the opener against Minnesota the commentators mentioned visa issues for Vadeeva, which seems to indicate that she intends to play here this season. In the meantime though Ogwumike is completely on her own in the frontcourt, they have literally no other post players available currently. What a weird roster situation.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
L.A. shot 54.7% on FGAs, 57.1% from the arc, and 84.2% on FTAs ... and lost.

Because Connecticut shot 62.5%, 57.1%, and 87.5%.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Forgot this game was on, missed it. How was the battle of the Ogwumikes? Were they matched up with each other very often?

You missed a classic. A very close game with many lead changes with excellent offense on both sides and multiple players making shots that you think professionals should make. The Ogwumikes's battled throughout the game with both sisters playing very well offensively although their board numbers were a bit low (because the shooting percentage of both teams were so high?) . I give Chiney a small edge in stat line (9-12 for 18) off of very good cutting and movement. She looks as fast and fit as I ever saw her. The Sun finally pulled away in the last 5 minutes with some intense defense which was helped by staying out of foul trouble early. Only sad part is Tuck seems to be relegated to a minor role in tough competitive games.

By the way, very cute post game interview (Chiney interviewing big sis and rubbing it in a little ;) )

Chiney, Nneka Postgame Interview - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Also, a video highlight reel of the sisters.

Ogwumike Sisters Showdown Highlights - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom