Looks like we are stuck in the mess called the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32150361

Here is the key part of the article:

Another official that attended the meeting said the league’s members made a commitment to work and stay together.

“It went well,” the official said. “I think those schools that thought they were going somewhere now realize they have no where to go.”

So the last Big East raid of 2003 left Syracuse in the league and everyone knew they would be on the first train out of town the next expansion go around. I guess we now take their place. We stay in this glorified Conference USA until the next round of expansion occurs. Hopefully that happens before Syracuse and Pitt are allowed to leave in 2014, but that may not be likely if the rumors of a Big 12 '5 Year Peace Treaty' come to fruition.

We will get to that Super Conference eventually (we are clearly the next in line), but it may just be a few more years!

Reaction Score
Yeah, starting to think this is how things will go. When the conference changes happened last year with Nebraska and Colorado and Utah, a lot of people assumed the whole thing was going to shuffle out completely right then. It didn't. I think the same thing happened this year. We had three more moves in BCS conferences (Cuse, Pitt, TAMU), and people were ready for the whole thing to shake out again. It's not going to happen. And I have a feeling Pitt and Cuse are sticking around for a while too.

Sucks, because from here on out we twist in the wind until we wind up somewhere else. (hopefully)

Reaction Score
In the meantime let's add another men's and women's hoop championship to our resume, turn the football team around in time for BE play and keep on improving in the USN&WR rankings in time for the next round of musical chairs to start.

Just gotta keep updating that resume for when that dream conference comes along ready to take us.

Reaction Score
The best case dream scenario right now is that Notre Dame joins for football in order to save the conference. If that happened I'm sure Cuse and Pitt could be convinced to stay and we could just go ahead and upgrade Nova since landing Notre Dame would bolster the conference more than enough to off set it. This would leave us at 11 FB and 17 BB schools so we would need one more, say Houston or UCF and we would basically be stronger than ever. Our TV deal would be the monster we all wanted it to be and the age of the superconference could be smothered in it's crib. If Notre Dame was smart and cared about the BE and not being forced into a someone else's conference this is what they would do.

It's obviously not going to happen this way though so the best we can hope for is getting to 12/20 immediately or maybe even 14/22 since we might make Cuse and Pitt stay around for another 2 years whether they like it or not. This might still however give the BE enough time to get a great TV deal. The bottom line is we better have 3 new football playing members by the end of this week to come out looking like we are actually doing something to survive.

Reaction Score
The best case dream scenario right now is that Notre Dame joins for football in order to save the conference. If that happened I'm sure Cuse and Pitt could be convinced to stay and we could just go ahead and upgrade Nova since landing Notre Dame would bolster the conference more than enough to off set it. This would leave us at 11 FB and 17 BB schools so we would need one more, say Houston or UCF and we would basically be stronger than ever. Our TV deal would be the monster we all wanted it to be and the age of the superconference could be smothered in it's crib. If Notre Dame was smart and cared about the BE and not being forced into a someone else's conference this is what they would do.

It's obviously not going to happen this way though so the best we can hope for is getting to 12/20 immediately or maybe even 14/22 since we might make Cuse and Pitt stay around for another 2 years whether they like it or not. This might still however give the BE enough time to get a great TV deal. The bottom line is we better have 3 new football playing members by the end of this week to come out looking like we are actually doing something to survive.
Everyone talks about best/worst case scenarios and I can see this being the best. I think it's utterly delusional at best, but that would be a dream come true... ND to the BE for football. Lol, want to see Pitt and Cuse do a 180? "Oh, wait, we didn't really MEAN we were leaving! "

Reaction Score
Everyone talks about best/worst case scenarios and I can see this being the best. I think it's utterly delusional at best, but that would be a dream come true... ND to the BE for football. Lol, want to see Pitt and Cuse do a 180? "Oh, wait, we didn't really MEAN we were leaving! "

Yeah, It's nice to dream isn't it? lol.

Reaction Score
There have been multiple reports than UConn and Rutgers are interested in the ACC. The Newark-Star Ledger also reported Rutgers “had discussions” with the Big Ten. West Virginia also hoped to go to the ACC or SEC, but both leagues indicated they were not interested in the Mountaineers, CBSSports.com reported.

“Part of the purpose of the meeting was getting everyone’s commitment,” Marinatto said. “At some point, you have to take people at their word.”

The presidents and athletic directors from Cincinnati, UConn, Louisville, Rutgers, South Florida, TCU and West Virginia attended the meeting. Marinatto said the membership discussed increasing the withdrawal fee from $5 million.

“I don’t know if there’s a price you can put on for breaking your word and lying,” Marinatto said. “That’s priceless. I don’t know high enough of a figure to charge for being disloyal or untruthful.”

-------------

Jezzus. Marinatto is delusional. In a perfect world I'd be with him 100%, but the system and the powers in charge have forced conference loyalty out the equation now and replaced it with self-preservation. Look at the current plan he has on the table. Is he serious? I wouldn't blame anyone if they broke their word and bailed out of this mess if they were thrown a life preserver from one of the potential superconferences.

Reaction Score
the BE official is right, UCONN has nowhere to go ....... right now. Same can be said for every FB school. That is not the same as saying the conference is stable and its members committed. What it is a simple reiteration that the BB schools drive the conference and are enjoying watching the FB schools twist in the wind.

Reaction Score
The Big East, for some reason is the only league where teams try and slip out in the dead of night. I'm not sure I understand that. I didn'ty get it when BC, Miami and syracuse tried it in 2003 and I don't get it why Sracuse & Pitt did it this time. When the big 10 looked to expand, Nebraska didn't do it on the sly. Texas A&M has been up front. Oklahoma and Texas, for all the drama, have been pretty clear they are looking around. Why not simply let your partners know you're not happy and are considering other options? At least they can plan for your replacement, maybe plan to satisfy your concerns, but if not, maybe have Plan B ready to go. Somebody explain that to me...

Reaction Score
Well freescooter, I'd guess "character" might have something to do with it.

Reaction Score
The Big East, for some reason is the only league where teams try and slip out in the dead of night. I'm not sure I understand that. I didn'ty get it when BC, Miami and syracuse tried it in 2003 and I don't get it why Sracuse & Pitt did it this time. When the big 10 looked to expand, Nebraska didn't do it on the sly. Texas A&M has been up front. Oklahoma and Texas, for all the drama, have been pretty clear they are looking around. Why not simply let your partners know you're not happy and are considering other options? At least they can plan for your replacement, maybe plan to satisfy your concerns, but if not, maybe have Plan B ready to go. Somebody explain that to me...
The answer to that is simple. Miami had a problem with the BE for some time. When Donna Shalala took over, it was here mission to associate the university with what she referred to as Miami's "aspirational peers." What this meant is that they wanted to associate with a better clientele. BC and Syracuse didn't want to be in a conference without a heavy hitter. They wanted to go wherever Miami went, and made that clear. Being a football renegade, like Miami, and in fact, like Ohio State and USC, and many, many other programs, ultimately pays off. This is the same as Wall Street, and business in general. Society allows a certain amount of cheating, and succeeding, worth the risk and penalty of getting caught.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

On one side of the equation you have the schools who slipped away. On the other side of the equation you have Swofford and the ACC.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The answer to that is simple. Miami had a problem with the BE for some time. When Donna Shalala took over, it was here mission to associate the university with what she referred to as Miami's "aspirational peers." What this meant is that they wanted to associate with a better clientele. BC and Syracuse didn't want to be in a conference without a heavy hitter.

Perhaps she was referring to Nevin Shapiro?

Reaction Score

Notre Dame has much better options than the BE for football: Big 10 and the ACC. Rumor is they prefer the ACC and that could be good for Uconn. The ACC likely would add a 16th team to balance out the divisions. Notre Dame could end up pivital for our future.

Reaction Score
I still don't think Notre Dame can sell the ACC to its alumni. They'll have a heck of a time selling them on the Big 10, but can probalby do it. The ACC? The hit they'd take in alumni donations would offset any extra income they earn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There have been multiple reports than UConn and Rutgers are interested in the ACC. The Newark-Star Ledger also reported Rutgers “had discussions” with the Big Ten. West Virginia also hoped to go to the ACC or SEC, but both leagues indicated they were not interested in the Mountaineers, CBSSports.com reported. Those discussions included the phrase "Yes, Mr. Pernetti, the decision is final. Now, please, stop calling us."

“Part of the purpose of the meeting was getting everyone’s commitment,” Marinatto said. “At some point, you have to take people at their word. Sure it has burned us twice in the last ten years, but we're sure we'll be alright this time.

The presidents and athletic directors from Cincinnati, UConn, Louisville, Rutgers, South Florida, TCU and West Virginia attended the meeting. Marinatto said the membership discussed increasing the withdrawal fee from $5 million.

In other news Marinatto also commented that "it will much easier to close the barn door now that those pesky horses are gone."
“I don’t know if there’s a price you can put on for breaking your word and lying,” Marinatto said. “That’s priceless. I don’t know high enough of a figure to charge for being disloyal or untruthful. I mean if a little thing like perpetually incompetant management is enough to cause people to want to go then I say let em leave.

The rest of Marinatto's comments could not be heard other the sound of chairs being pulled out and foot steps heading to the door.
-------------

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
On one side of the equation you have the schools who slipped away. On the other side of the equation you have Swofford and the ACC.
The best answer. Although I will say most people from the northeast have shriveled sports balls because of the cold. Not a problem for our current President who is playing this with candor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom