Looks like there may be some coaching changes in Hockey East | The Boneyard

Looks like there may be some coaching changes in Hockey East

Reaction Score
BU’s recruiting class is open game now..hopefully Cav started dialing the phone a few days ago

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's very interesting how the NHL wants to make use of the American college scene more and more, as opposed to the Canadian major junior route.

Reaction Score
It's very interesting how the NHL wants to make use of the American college scene more and more, as opposed to the Canadian major junior route.
Kids come out a few years older...better positional play and better strength training. Canadian Major Junior leagues play 2x the amount of games

Reaction Score
BU's incoming class will depend on who gets hired. Albie O'Connell is our associate HC and one of the leading candidates. He's also been the one in charge of recruiting under Quinn - most of our big freshman were Albie's connects more than Quinn's. He's been a collegiate assistant for 14 years now, he deserves his shot. I also wouldn't be surprised if Joe Pereira is targeted as a potential assistant on a new BU staff.

Reaction Score
This is nice

As long as Cav isn't a candidate
I'd be shocked if he's a candidate. There's numerous former BU players/coaches who are qualified candidates. Heck, Denver just nearly got Bazin away from Lowell - if BU was going to go "outside the family" they'd probably kick the tires there. I suspect though that it'll be Albie.

Reaction Score
BU's incoming class will depend on who gets hired. Albie O'Connell is our associate HC and one of the leading candidates. He's also been the one in charge of recruiting under Quinn - most of our big freshman were Albie's connects more than Quinn's. He's been a collegiate assistant for 14 years now, he deserves his shot. I also wouldn't be surprised if Joe Pereira is targeted as a potential assistant on a new BU staff.
Wasn’t Pereira a candidate for the last Asst job opening a few years ago under Quinn?

Reaction Score
Wasn’t Pereira a candidate for the last Asst job opening a few years ago under Quinn?
I don't know, the most recent assistant openings at BU have been for the lowest on the totem pole assistant so I doubt Joe would leave his spot at UConn for that job. If he were to come to BU I could only see it in a top assistant/associate HC role. Even then, there's no guarantee that Joe would want to leave UConn as he's a CT native and it's a great situation for him on Cav's staff, nor is it a guarantee that BU would immediately target him. There's multiple former players who are currently head coaches at top New England prep schools who'd be candidates.

Of course, all of this would be contingent on them hiring "in the family" for the HC position. If they went outside the box and made a run at someone like Bazin it'd likely be a complete overhaul of the coaching staff. I'm not sure that'd be the best move for the program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BU’s recruiting class is open game now..hopefully Cav started dialing the phone a few days ago
I am guessing that just isn't done in college hockey. Now, if a player calls a coach, that is a different story. But I am just guessing that there are certain unwritten rules. It is a small sport. The what goes around comes around thing.

Reaction Score
I am guessing that just isn't done in college hockey. Now, if a player calls a coach, that is a different story. But I am just guessing that there are certain unwritten rules. It is a small sport. The what goes around comes around thing.
Quite the opposite, there's a lot of that kind of backhanded recruitment that goes on. I would be VERY surprised if BU's recruits had not been contacted by other schools.

Reaction Score
And just like that, BU will promote top assistant Albie O'Connell to head coach. He's been the architect of the recruiting program so I'd expect recruiting attrition to be minimal. I would've banged my head against a wall if they blew up the program and hired Rick Bennett, the other finalist.

In some of the Twitter kerfuffle over the past few days, potential assistant coach replacements have been floated including Joe Pereira. I wouldn't consider him THE top candidate but one that will be looked at. Certainly no guarantee he'd leave UConn though.

Reaction Score
@brasssbonanzaa you happy with this choice?
Of the candidates who were legitimate ones, yes. Very much so. Steve Greeley - assistant GM of Buffalo - was one I'd have really liked to see, but apparently that wasn't pursued. If BU was going to go "outside the family" Bennett was the 100% wrong person. If you told me they could hire Bazin or Leaman, or even Sandelin from Duluth I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

But I'm very confident Albie can do a good job. Exactly *how* good remains to be seen.

Reaction Score

This could move Cav up to the top of the Jerry York replacement ladder (who knows conspiracy theory could be he is already there that’s why Brown decided to leave). If Cox is right (he has been wrong a lot on coaching rumors) here Cav is gonna be looking for an assistant (and one who will be coaching the defensemen)

Reaction Score

This could move Cav up to the top of the Jerry York replacement ladder (who knows conspiracy theory could be he is already there that’s why Brown decided to leave). If Cox is right (he has been wrong a lot on coaching rumors) here Cav is gonna be looking for an assistant (and one who will be coaching the defensemen)

It definitely could have an impact on who Jerry's replacement ultimately will be, but I don't think Brown moving to NYR as an assistant would preclude him from coming back to be the next BC head coach when Jerry retires. That said, I've heard through the grapevine that Jerry has no immediate plans to retire and wants to continue coaching for the next 4-5 years. I think Cav is solidly at UConn and I don't think this automatically makes him Jerry's #1 replacement candidate.

I don't know how BC's coaching staff is structured and whether they'll promote from within for the vacant associate HC spot. The only person on the UConn staff who could be targeted would be Joe Pereira, but I'm not sure he'd take it, nor is it a guarantee he'd be a target.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom