Looks like Marinatto's plan unraveling | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looks like Marinatto's plan unraveling

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
The remaining All Sports schools should all leave the BE together and form a new 10, 12, 14, 16 school Conference. With Providence and the BB schools in charge we will never retain the bid.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Great point. We need to make the basketball league worse because at least we will have few conflicting interests. And less money.

I'm not bothering to reply to you anymore. You are myopic beyond belief. There are many more perspectives to this situation than just yours. You only view this through your lens and refuse (or lack the capacity) to see other viable perspectives and solutions.

Reaction Score
So if the basketball schools bring so much to the table, how come the Big East doesn't work? And how come when the ACC expanded it didn't go after Georgetown and Villanova rahter than Pitt and Syracuse? I still don't get that?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
So if the basketball schools bring so much to the table, how come the Big East doesn't work? And how come when the ACC expanded it didn't go after Georgetown and Villanova rahter than Pitt and Syracuse? I still don't get that?

Because, obviously, ESPN ordered the ACC to do so, and of course, the ACC said "sure, we will totally do this only because you told us too"

Don't you see how ridiculous that sounds? Hasn't the ACC proven they're anything but puppets?

Reaction Score

I think they are valuable to the Big East because they are a part of the brand. How valuable they would be to another conference I have no clue. I think we do need them to ensure that the basketball package retains it's attractiveness for the next TV contract though. More so than other leagues our TV money is partly derived from the strength and depth of the basketball conference.

Reaction Score
Splitting from the basketball schools would not be wise. The Big East Basketball brand is worth money, because A) It's a damned good product, and B) There are large television markets involved.

Reaction Score
Splitting from the basketball schools would not be wise. The Big East Basketball brand is worth money, because A) It's a damned good product, and B) There are large television markets involved.

Imagine if it really were just the 6 football members trying to invite new members right now. I don't think they'd have a chance at rebuilding. The fact that we still have 14 members is a strength right now.

Reaction Score
The constant whining about the hybrid league not working is nonsense. Right now, every football school would leave for a better league and more money. The basketball schools aren't going anywhere. The basketball schools (UConn was one until very recently) have always supported the football league. The schools who aren't supporting the league are UConn, Louisville, Rutgers and West Virginia. They are all are looking for a new league and all have refused to make a commitment to the future Big East.

If the remaining Big East football members made a commitment, they could build the league of the future. In 10 years it could be the best football conference in the country. Florida and Texas produce most of the best high school football players. Having a presence in Tampa, Orlando, Dallas and Houston would give the league unbelievable potential.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm not bothering to reply to you anymore. You are myopic beyond belief. There are many more perspectives to this situation than just yours. You only view this through your lens and refuse (or lack the capacity) to see other viable perspectives and solutions.

It's not my point that I can boil down the weakness of the "it's the basketball schools' fault" to a single sentence that no one can refute. Just as it is not my fault that "beg harder" sounds kind of silly when you break it down from these tombs all over this board about how we need to get into the ACC to the lack of a viable strategy for accomplishing that goal.

When one side of a debate has the logically inferior argument, it doesn't make the other side myopic for not agreeing with it. It makes the other side correct.

Reaction Score
The football schools splitting off now would be a terrible mistake. And I seriously doubt they want to, it would cause almost irreperable damage to the one revenue sport we still have a power stake in. If the football schools split, I'd advocate for football independence and aligning with the basketball teams immediately along with a few other programs like Xavier, Butler, etc. biding time to see if an invite from elsewhere comes.

Reaction Score
The constant whining about the hybrid league not working is nonsense. Right now, every football school would leave for a better league and more money. The basketball schools aren't going anywhere. The basketball schools (UConn was one until very recently) have always supported the football league. The schools who aren't supporting the league are UConn, Louisville, Rutgers and West Virginia. They are all are looking for a new league and all have refused to make a commitment to the future Big East.

If the remaining Big East football members made a commitment, they could build the league of the future. In 10 years it could be the best football conference in the country. Florida and Texas produce most of the best high school football players. Having a presence in Tampa, Orlando, Dallas and Houston would give the league unbelievable potential.
I hope I get to live to see that day.

Reaction Score
The football schools are wrong here period. If you have schools willing to join that would help preserve the BCS bid, you agree to a higher exit fee, as long as it is within reason. Ten million dollars for an exit fee is not an exorbitant amount, and i would hope that is not the hang up. I read recently that Navy wanted a commitment that the football schools would stay together till 2020. If that is true, none of the current schools are goingcto agree to that. In my mind that is unreasonable.

Reaction Score

You cannot honestly believe this. Perhaps if we invited FIU and Texas-San Antonio, we could further bolster our profile as the best football conference in the country.

Reaction Score
The football schools are wrong here period. If you have schools willing to join that would help preserve the BCS bid, you agree to a higher exit fee, as long as it is within reason. Ten million dollars for an exit fee is not an exorbitant amount, and i would hope that is not the hang up. I read recently that Navy wanted a commitment that the football schools would stay together till 2020. If that is true, none of the current schools are goingcto agree to that. In my mind that is unreasonable.
I agree, $10 million for acceptance from some other schools that would help keep the BCS bid - read: Boise - is not too much to ask for. A set in stone commitment through 2020 is ridiculous based on the shifts over the last 10 years.

Reaction Score
It's not my point that I can boil down the weakness of the "it's the basketball schools' fault" to a single sentence that no one can refute. Just as it is not my fault that "beg harder" sounds kind of silly when you break it down from these tombs all over this board about how we need to get into the ACC to the lack of a viable strategy for accomplishing that goal.

When one side of a debate has the logically inferior argument, it doesn't make the other side myopic for not agreeing with it. It makes the other side correct.
Nobody is saying "It's the basketball schools' fault." It isn't. but the problems with the Big East are the result of its hybrid nature. Saying that is a very different thing. We have two different groups, whth vastly different outlooks and vastly different levels of investment, if you will, in their athletic programs. Very different sets of priorities. That is the real problem. If all the Big East members also played football, or if none did, it would be much much easier to reach consensus on a wide array of matters. Expansion, tv deals, various other priorities. From the perspective of a football school, you can argue it is the basketball schools' fault, butr it is because they have a different agenda for the Big East, just like the basketball schools see it as a football problem. In many ways, it has been a miracle that the Big East has lasted this long, largely because of those variousl agendas. And I don't mean that term in a pejorative sense that it is sometimes used. I mean that both sides have differing priorities. For example, on the tv deal, there were people at some football schools who thought the basketball side was getting more than they deserved while football was being sold as a less than its true value. I heard at least a few hoop schools view it the other way, that thye were getting a smaller piece for basketball than they deserved. I don't know if either argument is true or not. But that would never ever come up in an all-sports league. for the football schools, adding enough teams with enough strength to preserve the BCS slot is crucial. From the basketball perspective, adding a bunch of weak sister basketball teams is a potential nightmare. Again, for the ACC or the Big 10, it is about what benefits the whole league...a mediocre football program that adds basketball value is maybe worth doing if it benefits the Conference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Doubt it. Iowa State is a charter member in good standing. No reason the expell them (unlike when Temple was jettisoned by the Big East).
Also, Iowa State is AAU, and Boise State is a glorified community college.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
We have two different groups, whth vastly different outlooks and vastly different levels of investment, if you will, in their athletic programs. Very different sets of priorities. That is the real problem. If all the Big East members also played football, or if none did, it would be much much easier to reach consensus on a wide array of matters.

Compared to what? The B12 and their Lovey Dovey relationship with Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and OSU? Two years in a row they tried to throw the rest under the bus and finally Texas A&M walks out and Misery is trying to. Colorado and Nebraska haven't uttered a single word of regret.

Thank God they all play football and hold to the footballers smashmouth code of honor and business ethic.

Let me guess--not the example you were looking for.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I seriously doubt that any far flung widely dispersed group of schools would really work, and then you make it a hybrid on top of that?

Take UConn out of the equation, and RU. What should be happening? UL, Cincy, SFU and WVU should join with CFU, SMU, Houston, Tulane (or So. Miss), Memphis and ECU to form a ten team mid-south all sports conference. Travel would be tolerable for all, and there are some reasonable rivalries that can form. It would easily earn BCS status.

The MWC and WAC also need to merge and try to lure BYU back. La Tech should be kicked back to the remnants of Conf-USA.

UConn and Rutgers don't really belong with any of those schools. But if I was AD at UL or WVU, I'd be trying to form a new all-sports conference like I suggest above. The real problem is UConn and Rutgers. We are holding back the others, because we're the only northern teams, and wouldn't want to join conference I proposed for all sports.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 has its own issues, for sure. But note that twice they have been able to keep most everybody at the table...and if UCONN were offered a B-12 invite, I suspect most folks here would say take it! the difference is that in the Big East, half the membership thinks the problem is that the other half plays football at all.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

I'm sorry, but a presence represented by the schools people care about 4th and 5th most in Florida and arguably 6th and 7th most in Texas does not give your league a presence and "unbelievable potential."

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but a presence represented by the schools people care about 4th and 5th most in Florida and arguably 6th and 7th most in Texas does not give your league a presence and "unbelievable potential."
Try living in the future. UCF and USF will have great teams. SMU just beat TCU and Houston already has good squad. In addition it will open up recruiting for UConn. How do you think Miami went from nobody to perennial power? Show a little vision, Texas and Florida are taken. Who heard of Boise St 30 years ago.

Reaction Score
Try living in the future. UCF and USF will have great teams. SMU just beat TCU and Houston already has good squad. In addition it will open up recruiting for UConn. How do you think Miami went from nobody to perennial power? Show a little vision, Texas and Florida are taken. Who heard of Boise St 30 years ago.
Boise State actually won the Division II title 31 years ago. If I am correct, they had rings made out of platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom