Looks like Marinatto's plan unraveling | The Boneyard

Looks like Marinatto's plan unraveling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Exit fees won't be raised until the BE gets commitments from , Boise, UCF, UH.

But the Idaho Statesmen says tonight Boise State plans on taking up to 6 weeks.

“I don’t think anybody in the Mountain West thinks the TV deal is what it should be,” said Kustra, who added that “as of now” he is not talking with the Big 12.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/...plans-to-take-its.html#storylink=omni_popular

And now you see why the continual pushback of the exit fee vote and "invitations being sent out" leaks from Marinatto and Big East "officials".

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I truly hope that Boise St is not the lynchpin to this plan.

Reaction Score
Exit fees won't be raised until the BE gets commitments from , Boise, UCF, UH.

But the Idaho Statesmen says tonight Boise State plans on taking up to 6 weeks.

“I don’t think anybody in the Mountain West thinks the TV deal is what it should be,” said Kustra, who added that “as of now” he is not talking with the Big 12.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/...plans-to-take-its.html#storylink=omni_popular

And now you see why the continual pushback of the exit fee vote and "invitations being sent out" leaks from Marinatto and Big East "officials".

Sounds like Boise is trying to get the Big 12 to bite. I don't think not getting Boise would stop BE expansion though. I think we can get commitments from enough schools to get the exit fees raised. SMU, Houston, and UCF are ready to go and ECU would be willing to take football only. They can come for all sports for all I care though.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Sounds like Boise is trying to get the Big 12 to bite. I don't think not getting Boise would stop BE expansion though. I think we can get commitments from enough schools to get the exit fees raised. SMU, Houston, and UCF are ready to go and ECU would be willing to take football only. They can come for all sports for all I care though.

I think in a perfect world, Mizzou stays in the Big XII and they expand to 12 with BYU and Boise State. I doubt that's a reality, but a guy can hope, can't he!

Reaction Score
I think in a perfect world, Mizzou stays in the Big XII and they expand to 12 with BYU and Boise State. I doubt that's a reality, but a guy can hope, can't he!

You sure can because that is what I hope for too.

Reaction Score
Or maybe Boise just wants to do their due diligence on all scenarios. A year ago they accepted an offer to join a MWC w/ TCU, Utah, and BYU. All of which are no longer in the MWC. Now they're awaiting an invitation to join the BE where 5 of the 6 existing members are all rumored as targets to different conferences, and all would jump given the opportunity. I'd take my time in deciding if I were Boise too.

Reaction Score
Or maybe Boise just wants to do their due diligence on all scenarios. A year ago they accepted an offer to join a MWC w/ TCU, Utah, and BYU. All of which are no longer in the MWC. Now they're awaiting an invitation to join the BE where 5 of the 6 existing members are all rumored as targets to different conferences, and all would jump given the opportunity. I'd take my time in deciding if I were Boise too.

My take is that Boise is important only in perception. The BCS bid shouldn't be in danger without them. Boise is a joke academically and is very lax in admissions. Not sure it matters too much. Move forward with the other pieces and if Boise and Air Force hold off, fine, let us know.

Reaction Score
This won't get the current football schools to commit to a higher exit fee since it won't do nearly as much to bolster the profile of the conference as Boise would. Boise for ECU is nowhere near an even swap. Boise is a national name now that people will want to watch on TV regularly and would go a long way to raising the profile of the league, making the current teams more likely to stay. ECU does nothing.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The only thing I got in this article is that Boise is unlikely to stay in the MW. No indication of any unraveling.

Reaction Score
This won't get the current football schools to commit to a higher exit fee since it won't do nearly as much to bolster the profile of the conference as Boise would. Boise for ECU is nowhere near an even swap. Boise is a national name now that people will want to watch on TV regularly and would go a long way to raising the profile of the league, making the current teams more likely to stay. ECU does nothing.

There is no other option. They have to raise the exit fee to expand so they will raise it. It doesn't mean that anyone won't leave if they get an invite anyway.

Reaction Score
FB schools will only raise if other schools commit.

Chicken. Egg.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
FB schools will only raise if other schools commit.

Chicken. Egg.
I doubt it. The schools will be approached with proposals and they will give their input. No one will sign anything until all the concerns are agreed upon. The BE football schools can agree to a $10 million exit fee if only the four schools are signed. The four schools sign the papers which indicate the contract is only binding if the BE schools agree to the increase in exit fees. The BE schools see this and decide if they continue with the arrangement. This will solve the chicken/egg problem.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Given the choice of adding Boise State or discarding Iowa State they'd discard Iowa State and sign WVU tomorrow and beg Misery not to leave and call it a done deal at 10.

In the B12 Iowa State is like the old Henny Youngman joke "Now, take my wife.......Please"

Reaction Score
Given the choice of adding Boise State or discarding Iowa State they'd discard Iowa State and sign WVU tomorrow and beg Misery not to leave and call it a done deal at 10.

In the B12 Iowa State is like the old Henny Youngman joke "Now, take my wife.......Please"

Doubt it. Iowa State is a charter member in good standing. No reason the expell them (unlike when Temple was jettisoned by the Big East).

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If we do invite ECU, it should be for all sports. Might as well have a school right in the middle of ACC territory.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The plan, what ever it is, is still flawed. No conference is going survive unless all school are in for all sports. This includes ND as far as the BE goes. You can't have two separate agendas and survive.

The bb schools will never understand this point. Unless the BE is willing to evolve into an all schools, all sports conference, the stupidity will continue.

Until there is a split with the bb schools, the fb schools will continue to look for stability else where. And who can blame them.

Reaction Score
The plan, what ever it is, is still flawed. No conference is going survive unless all school are in for all sports. This includes ND as far as the BE goes. You can't have two separate agendas and survive.

The bb schools will never understand this point. Unless the BE is willing to evolve into an all schools, all sports conference, the stupidity will continue.

Until there is a split with the bb schools, the fb schools will continue to look for stability else where. And who can blame them.

The reality is that if you bring in enough all sports members you will have the basketball schools outnumbered at some point. That should be the endgame if the hybrid is going to survive. The basketball schools have to be in the minority for this to work long term.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
BB only schools would never go for that. The hybrid model will never work. There are too many conflicting interests.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
BB only schools would never go for that. The hybrid model will never work. There are too many conflicting interests.

Great point. We need to make the basketball league worse because at least we will have few conflicting interests. And less money.

Reaction Score

It won't be easy but so much depends on the next TV contract and retaining the BCS bid. At some point Nova will probably be upgraded just to get them on the FB side and if the new TV deal is rich enough the other schools will not want to risk going it alone and severely reducing their TV revenue. The amount of money they are potentially looking at is pretty ludicrous for schools that do not play FBS football. At some point the benefits of remaining with the BE football schools and Notre Dame will become abundantly clear to them when the alternative has them playing Xavier, St. Joes, and Dayton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom