Looks like everyone needs to stay before Navy would consider joining | The Boneyard

Looks like everyone needs to stay before Navy would consider joining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Navy Athletic Director Chet Gladchuk reiterated his concerns Monday about the Big East’s stability going forward, alluding to speculation that Louisville or West Virginia may depart next.
“My question still remains, as it has been since Syracuse and Pittsburgh left, what’s the status of the six that I call the anchor schools that are part of the Big East today?” Gladchuk said in a telephone interview. “Going to 12 is only half the equation. The other side of the equation is the importance [of] those six institutions, which I think are critical to the stature of the conference. Have they come to the conclusion yet that they’re all in? I haven’t heard that yet.”
Army, which competes as an independent, reportedly has reservations about the demands of competing in a conference after an unsatisfactory experience in Conference USA.
Gladchuk said that Navy, also an independent in football, was close to deciding on joining the Big East before Syracuse and Pittsburgh announced in September that they were leaving for the ACC.
“We’re not removed from this process at all; we’ve been very much involved, probably more so than anyone else, to be perfectly honest with you, outside the immediate membership,” Gladchuk said. “Meantime, we’re very careful in some of the ground rules that we felt were important. And one of the ground rules has to do with the commitment of the six foundation schools right now. It’s wonderful that they decided to go 12. Let’s start with the first six: Are they in?”

Reaction Score
Great quote. The answer is we're all in... until the ACC, SEC, B12, or B1G extend an invitation to one or more of us to apply.

Reaction Score
Navy Athletic Director Chet Gladchuk reiterated his concerns Monday about the Big East’s stability going forward, alluding to speculation that Louisville or West Virginia may depart next.
“My question still remains, as it has been since Syracuse and Pittsburgh left, what’s the status of the six that I call the anchor schools that are part of the Big East today?” Gladchuk said in a telephone interview. “Going to 12 is only half the equation. The other side of the equation is the importance [of] those six institutions, which I think are critical to the stature of the conference. Have they come to the conclusion yet that they’re all in? I haven’t heard that yet.”
Army, which competes as an independent, reportedly has reservations about the demands of competing in a conference after an unsatisfactory experience in Conference USA.
Gladchuk said that Navy, also an independent in football, was close to deciding on joining the Big East before Syracuse and Pittsburgh announced in September that they were leaving for the ACC.
“We’re not removed from this process at all; we’ve been very much involved, probably more so than anyone else, to be perfectly honest with you, outside the immediate membership,” Gladchuk said. “Meantime, we’re very careful in some of the ground rules that we felt were important. And one of the ground rules has to do with the commitment of the six foundation schools right now. It’s wonderful that they decided to go 12. Let’s start with the first six: Are they in?”

If Rutgers and UConn are balking at raising the exit fee, they better have options. Ville and WVU have multiple irons in the fire but Rutgers and UConn are looking at slimmer odds of escape. I say, raise the fee and pay up later if you have to. Not sure I like this strategy. Raise the fee and bring in the bst schools possible asap.

Reaction Score
If Rutgers and UConn are balking at raising the exit fee, they better have options. Ville and WVU have multiple irons in the fire but Rutgers and UConn are looking at slimmer odds of escape. I say, raise the fee and pay up later if you have to. Not sure I like this strategy. Raise the fee and bring in the bst schools possible asap.
Its at 5 million now, double it to 10, hope if the situation arises where we need to leave that we have already made put some cash in the bank from the new TV deal, or the new fundraising whiz kid Paul Pendergast

Reaction Score
Why raise the fee?
What's it going to do? Stop you from leaving?

Reaction Score
Why raise the fee?

No, it shows committment and helps secure new members. If a better conference comes calling, pay up. Simple as that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why raise the fee?

If we don't do it, it is time to dissolve the league and join the MAC. It is amazing how many posters on this board like that option.

Reaction Score
If we could keep the AQ and remain in the BE for bball, I am not sure I would want to leave. However, we need to add some quality FB schools, even if they are 2000 miles away.

Reaction Score
If we don't do it, it is time to dissolve the league and join the MAC. It is amazing how many posters on this board like that option.

Nobody likes the option, its just that they don't realize that's where we might end up if we don't hurry up and expand. I want to expand fully NOW, before we lose more important pieces.

The schools that don't agree to up the fee are either a. foolish or b. have an invitation elsewhere.

I think WVU and Louisville may have invites to the B12 or SEC and even Rutgers, who has been scary quiet on this, may have something brewing with the ACC or B10. If anyone is rejecting raising the fee in error, my bet is its UConn.

Reaction Score

Just avoid answering the question.
What good is it?

Reaction Score
Nobody likes the option, its just that they don't realize that's where we might end up if we don't hurry up and expand. I want to expand fully NOW, before we lose more important pieces.

The schools that don't agree to up the fee are either a. foolish or b. have an invitation elsewhere.

I think WVU and Louisville may have invites to the B12 or SEC and even Rutgers, who has been scary quiet on this, may have something brewing with the ACC or B10. If anyone is rejecting raising the fee in error, my bet is its UConn.

I'll ask you too: what does the fee accomplish?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I have been in business situations where decision makers ignore factual realities and pursue strategies based on what they wish would happen. It always ends in catastrophe.

Reaction Score
No, it shows committment and helps secure new members. If a better conference comes calling, pay up. Simple as that.
No, no, no, no, no.

You raise the fee if there is value to staying together. That value comes in one form -- a BCS bid. Unless there is some assurance that the conference retains AQ status, there's no way that we or any of the other remaining schools (RU, UL, UC, USF) will or should vote to increase the cost of upgrading. If we vote to increase the exit fee anytime before that, I may visit Herbst's office and personally kick her in the &*@t.

Reaction Score
No, no, no, no, no.

You raise the fee if there is value to staying together. That value comes in one form -- a BCS bid. Unless there is some assurance that the conference retains AQ status, there's no way that we or any of the other remaining schools (RU, UL, UC, USF) will or should vote to increase the cost of upgrading. If we vote to increase the exit fee anytime before that, I may visit Herbst's office and personally kick her in the &*@t.

I am kind of lost where you are trying to go with this. We must lure the best teams possible. If that is accomplished by raising the fee, we do it. We can't expand unless we show some level of commitment. Unless you have a strategy I missed, it seems you are advocating fading into the sunset. I for one am willing to have the state squander 5-10 million dollars in an attempt to expand and fight on. What do you suggest?

p.s. If this comes off as argumentitive, its not meant to be. I really don't know what to do, but I see raising the fee as a step to bringing in strong members asap.

Reaction Score
I am kind of lost where you are trying to go with this. We must lure the best teams possible. If that is accomplished by raising the fee, we do it. We can't expand unless we show some level of commitment. Unless you have a strategy I missed, it seems you are advocating fading into the sunset. I for one am willing to have the state squander 5-10 million dollars in an attempt to expand and fight on. What do you suggest?

p.s. If this comes off as argumentitive, its not meant to be. I really don't know what to do, but I see raising the fee as a step to bringing in strong members asap.

Don't worry about being argumentative. It's a complex issue with no easy answers, and we all have our opinions.

In terms of where I am trying to go -- I am advocating keeping options open. Trapping ourselves in what may prove to be an untenable situation is not my first choice.

Reaction Score
Don't worry about being argumentative. It's a complex issue with no easy answers, and we all have our opinions.

In terms of where I am trying to go -- I am advocating keeping options open. Trapping ourselves in what may prove to be an untenable situation is not my first choice.

I agree with keeping options open. My concern lies in timing. I am more comfortable putting a decent conference together and paying extra to get out if need be. We are only trapped if we refuse to pay. If we sit tight and get abandoned by WVU, Louisville and or Rutgers, we are left with nothing. The more time we sit idle, the more time our enemies have to interfere with our plans. Personally, I wouldn't be leaking who the Big East is contacting and would ask the approached schools to keep quiet as well. There are forces that want the Big East dead.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

There are no free options in the market or in life. "Keeping our options open" in this situation means losing potential members that we would like to add. More importantly, unresolved conference uncertainty will result in coaches and recruits fleeing the program which will damage to future on-the-field performance and make UConn less attractive in future rounds of conference expansion.

It would be great if we could openly look for a job while we were in the one we have, just to keep our "options open". Wouldn't it be nice if we could date other women while married just to keep our "options open"? Unfortunately, other parties will act accordingly if we fail to commit. It's just reality.

Reaction Score
Nelson, how do you not understand that other parties will still be looking around even if we do commit?

Any of the Big East 6 can commit to the conference, but it's only a commitment until the Big 12, Big 10, or ACC picks up the phone.

Everyone knows that, excpet the one who guy knows everything. You.

Reaction Score
Nelson, how do you not understand that other parties will still be looking around even if we do commit?

Any of the Big East 6 can commit to the conference, but it's only a commitment until the Big 12, Big 10, or ACC picks up the phone.

That's not the point. WE NEED TO SIGN UP NEW MEMBERS! We can't unless we show some level of commitment. They are literally telling us that. There is no alternative.

Reaction Score
That's not the point. WE NEED TO SIGN UP NEW MEMBERS! We can't unless we show some level of commitment. They are literally telling us that. There is no alternative.

Are you saying that people like Gladchuk are so stupid that they would actually believe that UConn would stay in the Big East if only the exit fee were doubled?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

We do not have any choice. If we do not make some kind of commitment, there will not be a league. AFA's and Navy's ADs has made that crystal clear. That we know. Everything else is debatable. Which teams, number of teams, whatever. But there are no free options. The conference members can not continue to indefinitely shop themselves and hope for a good outcome with the Big East. Those are two mutually exclusive choices.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Are you saying that people like Gladchuk are so stupid that they would actually believe that UConn would stay in the Big East if only the exit fee were doubled?

Gladchuk will decide what constitutes reasonable commitment. We do know that if we do nothing and continue to shop ourselves, the conference is finished.

Reaction Score

No, I am saying that they would be indicating, as of today, that they have no other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom