Looking forward to the future. | The Boneyard

Looking forward to the future.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When you think about it UConn is looking better and coming together much more as a team. Dont forget UConn has 40-50 pts sitting on the bench. When those 3 are cleared to play they will add more points to the line which is essentially replacing players who are scoring much less then these three can score plus contribute in some other ways. If for example Paige averages 22 pts a game and replaces another player who averages 8 pts per game thats alot plus what else she does on the court. The question will be how many teams can keep UConn from scoring over 90 pts a game? Paige and Azzi alone are almost unstoppable and can bail the team out when needed and with this roster there may not be alot of bailing out. I remember when UConn when on their runs and just took over games winning going away. This team, when healthy, will be able to do the same thing. We now have alot of experienced depth. I am so excited and FWIW. Paige will be back very soon.

Reaction Score
When you think about it UConn is looking better and coming together much more as a team. Dont forget UConn has 40-50 pts sitting on the bench. When those 3 are cleared to play they will add more points to the line which is essentially replacing players who are scoring much less then these three can score plus contribute in some other ways. If for example Paige averages 22 pts a game and replaces another player who averages 8 pts per game thats alot plus what else she does on the court. The question will be how many teams can keep UConn from scoring over 90 pts a game? Paige and Azzi alone are almost unstoppable and can bail the team out when needed and with this roster there may not be alot of bailing out. I remember when UConn when on their runs and just took over games winning going away. This team, when healthy, will be able to do the same thing. We now have alot of experienced depth. I am so excited and FWIW. Paige will be back very soon.
With your “lookout here comes Tomorrow” topic from yesterday and this “looking forward to the future” one, you have rid yourself of the shaky past Tony. I will join you for the journey forward.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
While I like Tony's forecast for the future, I also understand and acknowledge your perspective. As you say, scoring 90 points is fine, but what happens when you can't/don't play any defense? You lose to an Arkansas team last year 90-87 because you couldn't stop the Razorbacks from scoring at will. Chelsea Dungee (38 pts) didn't score all of the points. She had lots of help. You CAN win games and tournaments scoring 65 ppg if you can hold your opponent to 55 or less.

We had only 7 turnovers during a recent game. Piath Gabriel had two of them in garbage time. THAT is the mindset we must have to win games. Keep your opponent off the FT line. You never want your opponent shooting at the basket when the clock is stopped. Don't allow the game to come down to who ever has the ball last wins. Be in the game every second you're on the floor. Everything you do should be done with a purpose. The six players we've been playing with lately have enough experience to play without making silly unforced turnovers, or "freshman" mistakes.

The coaches and fans NEVER expect their players to play a perfect game with no errors or fouls. But you have to be able to make stops!! No second chances at scoring for the opponent. One shot per possession. No unforced turnovers (like a bad pass, traveling, etc.). You're not going to completely keep your opponent from getting offensive rebounds, but you can keep them to a bare minimum. Always block out. Keep YOUR man from getting the rebound. When you lose a close game like we did to Villanova (72-69), you think of all of the easy bunnies, layups and free throws we missed that would have made the difference in that close 3 point loss.

I remember the good old days when UConn was extremely stingy on defense. Holding most opponents to less than 60 ppg. They took pride in their ability to play defense, and always played with a sense of urgency. If THIS team learns how to play defense before the tournament, they can go far, maybe the final four. If not, they'll bow out possibly to an unranked team like Villanova. Yes, they will have a lot of firepower if all of their injured players return in the next 3 weeks.

"Run and Gun" is nice if you can out shoot your opponents to the extent that the game is over by half time. But if you can do no better than trade baskets with them, and turn the ball over 15-20 times a game giving them all of those extra possessions, you're climbing a very steep hill, and setting your self up for failure.

If this team really wants to go deep into the tournament, they MUST play good solid defense for 40 minutes, one possession at a time. Make stops at critical times and score at critical times. Like Sue Bird told her teammates once coming out of a timeout: "when the ball comes your way, make a play."

Once our injured players return to action, Geno will have more than enough players available to rotate them in and out, keeping them fresh for the 4th quarter. Scoring is great, but scoring 90 points does you no good if your opponent scores 91. We've got 5 games left.
Let's run the table from this point forward, playing as though being sent home depended on winning each game. Let's adopt that mindset now. Play smart, play hard, make no concessions, take no plays off, have fun, and enjoy each victory with your teammates and coaches.

The BIG East tournament begins in 3 weeks (18 days) on Fri March 4. There's not a lot of time left. We MUST be ready!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What I think is more realistic is that when Geno makes substitutions, there will be no let up in solid scoring while tough defense is played by everyone. If you notice in the box scores, sometimes a player, like even Azzi may not score many points but contributes in other ways. So someone, off of the bench may provide double figures while there is a cold period for a typical scoring player or the opposing team is trying to shut down an Azzi leaving the room open for a Caroline or a Paige to put up 20.

Oh, Tony, nice to see you say what you wanted to say on one paragraph.

Reaction Score
I concur with this assessment but Stanford and S.Carolina have equal cause for optimism for the future as well.

Reaction Score
UConn started with 14 players this season and 2 left the team. Now there were 12 but unfortunately Aubrey was lost for the season. Now 11. Then Paige, Caroline, and Liz had injuries. Down to 8. 2 players are emergence use only which leaves only 6 destined to play major minutes. Several of those were foul prone. Only one solution for that - don't guard close enough so they didn't foul. Made for a few exciting games where the defense suddenly appeared in the 4th when fouling out was far less likely. Two great results have occurred. Players have learned how not to foul and they have also learned how to play strong defense so fouling isn't necessary. Makes for a brighter future when the others are back. I also have to believe the 2 bigs that didn't see much time were pushed much harder in practice as it seemed they could be needed in a close game.

Reaction Score
I agree about UConn's success being more about their defense. Most of UConn's runs were due to shutting down another team's offense.

The value of UConn's offense as we go forward will be measured by what it does to the opponent's defense. Teams like SCar base their defense on denying paint points. That's been Staley's MO since she arrived. UConn will have multiple outside scorers that can shoot over their smallish guards and force SCar to extend their defense. UConn will have something paint strength can't stop.

I predicted a while ago that we could be about to experience something very special when Bueckers and Fudd play together. I'm frustrated waiting but I think it's still happening.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Sorry for not mentioning defense. Yeah we need it and need it bad. Its nice to know when we are healthy we have players that have gained experience because of what we have gone through. I know Stanford and SC and some other teams have their eyes on a NC but UConn has some very special players and OMG are they good.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Zinethar's analysis may very well be right; I couldn't understand why it was so easy for Marquette
to score in the lane in the 1st half.

It will be easier to play more aggressive D when you have two
more exceptional guards and your premier rim defender returning.

I joked that Paige may be back before Caroline and Olivia....not so funny now.

But assume in 2/3 weeks we get everyone back...now we get back into the problem of rotations...
I've rarely delved into the convolutions of that one...but some people will surely be getting less minutes...and building chemistry will be interesting to watch.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
But the injured players are excellent defenders. Paige and Liv are especially good team defenders. The scoring AND defense become better when they're all available. Plus fresh legs mean more active defense.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Among other notables, I look forward to a full year of
a healthy DORKA!
Me too. Dorka has figured it out. What an asset she’ll be the rest of this year and next year. Look at the teams in the top 7. To my knowledge none have suffered any injuries to their best player and none to the extent UConn has.

I would be very interested to see how South Carolina or Stanford would have done to this point in the season if they had lost the services of 3 of their starters the amount amount of time UConn has.

Reaction Score
Yes indeed!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
for example Paige averages 22 pts a game and replaces another player who averages 8 pts per game thats alot plus
True Tony. But the math may not work. Let's say the team averages 70 shots a game which is a lot in 40 minutes. The player scoring 8 points may take 4 or 5 shots. Paige comes in and takes 20 shots. Now she just took 15 shots away from someone else. Who loses the 15 shots? The posts have to score to create inside out balance. So who loses the shots? Do you want to take 5 away from Azzi? How about Caroline or Christyn? If Paige has a higher shooting percentage the scoring will go up incrementally but not into the 90 point range consistently.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Talking about team scoring, I see the following average is entirely reasonable with everyone back

Paige 15 ppg (lots more assists)
CW 15 ppg
Caroline 12 ppg
Azzi 15 ppg
Liv 8 ppg
Evina 6 ppg
Nika 4 ppg
Dorka 8 ppg
Aaliyah 4 ppg

Total 87ppg

Reaction Score
UCONN will and always has been a team about balance both offense and defense. Not just 1.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom