Looking Forward to March | The Boneyard

Looking Forward to March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is a big month for UConn. Banks Chong and Stokes need to consistently put up offensive numbers. I understand what Geno was referring to. He was looking for them to be at a certain level at this time in the season. Now Chong was sick and BB was hurt but yesterdays performances showed they are making that jump Geno was looking for. They need to be more then just a threat to score they need to score.

I expect Geno will give them more minutes to get them ready for the post season and have an indication of where they are and how they will contribute. With Tuck out this his huge. At some point in a critical game if we get a couple of starters in foul trouble or the game is tight which I expect in the Regionals, we need these big 3 off the bench to put up points or risk having Breanna, KML and or Bria double teamed. Opponents know everything goes through Stef. Stef has been doubled and has had a tuff time scoring. She works very hard to get the ball and is like a point guard at 6'5 controlling the offense. Saniya in hs was a terrific scorer. I expect before Febuary is over we will see her explode scoring. Yesterday was a good indication of what she can do. One thing with this years team that I don't hear a lot about is the lack of turnovers by our guards. Saniya only a freshman has done a great job handleing the ball. MoJeff imo is one of the two top point guards in the country. With that said I believe one of the reasons UConn clicks is because their guards don't make a lot of turnovers.

KML has shown signs of her ability to knock down treys like she did last season. Her ability to dribble drive and hit the boards has increased and complimented her overall game. When tournament time comes with Saniya and BB hitting more outside shots it will only help KML to get more open looks.

UConn is in a very good spot right now. They are getting better healthy wise each game. KML and BB are almost back to where they were.

Louisville is only 7 days away and I expect UConn to be firing on all cylinders. LVille lacks height and our perimeter defense is excellent so I do expect UConn to win by 20+. SMU on Tuesday will be huge for our bench. If they do what is expected by Geno they will be fine if they don't expect a quick hook. This will be a fun month as we watch UConn grow and develop to another level both on the court and in their heads...confidence.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Thanks, Tony. The only thing I would add is what happens to us when Mo can knock down threes. She can then draw defenders out of the paint. You can't double team 5 players.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Agree with you Semper, but even if Mo isn't firing the three, her speed off the dribble drive - from the arc on into the rim - makes her so dangerous that no defender with a working brain cell would back off of her. I have watched women's hoops for years, and broadcast a bunch of them. I have never seen anyone quite like her. And only a soph. This is all good.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think UConn's defense gets into opponents heads. Our shot blocking and with MoJeff Bria BB and Saniya we steal the ball a lot. A lot of talk today about UConn LVille on Sunday and ND UConn possible NC. Our height and shot blocking will be one major difference. Opponents are not getting a lot underneath. Our ability to pressure the perimeter with our bigs as back up makes it difficult to any team to score. We will beat LVille by 25+ on Sunday. Much like the last season it is going to be very difficult for LVille to get their shot off. Much like every year UConn will stifle opponents top scorer(s). Not to get ahead of myself but when you look at who Duke ND and Stanford lose next season and who UConn loses next season UConn still has a strong nucleus. It only a matter of time before we are clicking on all cylinders and isn't that scary.

Reaction Score
ND looks awfully good, and they have a deep, deep bench. We've beaten just about everyone else.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Yeah ND beat Duke at Cam by about as many as we did. The final vs. them :Dwill be a whale, just a whale.

Reaction Score
What worries me a bit is the dribble drive to the basket..... what will hold us back from a 9th chmpnshp? Injury, or foul trouble.. the past 2 or 3 yrs..... seeing ND driving to the basket and taking the free throws.....

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There are a few nightmare scenarios in the postseason. A fourth time against Louisville could be very bad. Yet another matchup against ND could cause some fretting. Playing the LVs in Nashville will be a hype-fest beyond belief, even if Tennessee has shown their team to be inferior to this point. a rematch with Stanford, though not necessarily doomsday, is still a tough game.

A lot can happen before the final four, but I feel like one game during UConn's would-be run freaks me out. I believe in the Huskies, but it won't be a walk in the park like 2002 or 2009.

Reaction Score
Duke still has a problem finding the other teams shooters on defense........How many games does it take to sink in? Did you see the Sweater barking out signals to the players and Coach P pushing him away?......I like his style of coaching. In your face........Duke has too many missing parts, but they have many McDonalds AA on their bench.......

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think we will get a taste of UConn stepping up on Sunday against LVille. I expect UConn to be focused and Breanna to be at a different level when she has to be. She is a special player and as the season goes on you will see her take over games. When we get to the FF she will be almost unstoppable. Now tie that in with KML being healthy and this team we call UConn will become a steamroller.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Good news...March is coming. Bad news, after the Final Four comes the long drought before next season....so I'm gonna take this slow and enjoy it while we can, thank you!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
March is a month away. I'm still happy with February. (Except for the weather)

Reaction Score
What worries me a bit is the dribble drive to the basket..... what will hold us back from a 9th chmpnshp? Injury, or foul trouble.. the past 2 or 3 yrs..... seeing ND driving to the basket and taking the free throws.....
I agree that the style Notre Dame has (and gets away with) is a headlong dash through the middle throwing up random shots while seemingly out of control and SOMEHOW getting blocking fouls called on their opponents that allow them to get a massive amount of foul shots. That was the reason they had as much success against us in the past couple of years with Diggins and company. If the refs had called those games appropriately, there would have been much different results. Between the points off of foul shots and getting some of our talented Bigs in foul trouble, they won games where they clearly weren't the best team. Give Muffet credit for using whatever tools work for her.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yeah ND beat Duke at Cam by about as many as we did. The final vs. them :Dwill be a whale, just a whale.
True, but we beat Duke when they had Chelsey Grey AND Chloe Wells. That would be like UCONN facing them when they are at full strength but UCONN without Moriah Jefferson and Brianna Banks. IMHO a game vs. Duke again would be a 30+ point win...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom