Looking Forward to AAC First Tournament....Where Will It Be | The Boneyard

Looking Forward to AAC First Tournament....Where Will It Be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mark Blaudschun covered college basketball for the Boston Globe for 25 years and provided what I thought was fair and balanced coverage. Now he has his own blog http://ajerseyguy.com , and with his connections and inside knowledge, I find it informative/interesting. eg. He had a good take on the Rutgers situation.

In any event, today he speculates about next year's AAC 1st tournament location:

"With the men’s college basketball season down to one game–Monday night’s championship game between Louisville and Michigan–it is time to jump back into the silly season of coaching/athletic director changes and other rumors.
Let’s start with the newly named American Athletic Conference, which now has a name–a corporate logo will be unveiled in a few weeks–but still needs sites for its men’s and women’s basketball tournaments next year.
Sources at the American, say that Philadelphia and the Palestra are very much in the target zone for the tournament which will be rotated.
American Commissioner Mike Aresco likes the historic nature of the Palestra, a location in Philadelphia, which is a college basketball city and the fact that with a smaller capacity (8,722) which will create a sold out arena and a ticket demand. There are other issues which must be examined, but The Palestra remains very much in the mix of what will be a revolving site situation for the first few years at least. The other sites that will receive serious consideration are Memphis, Hartford and Orlando."

Since I start driving back from Florida March 1st every year on my way to Southern Maryland, I could certainly arrange my trip to include Orlando and Memphis, or speed it up and do Philly. So, if Hartford doesn't get it, the other three are fine by me.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
If it's in Orlando, I'll be there! Good tourist area and warm weather in March suggests that this would be a place that could draw a large crowd.

Reaction Score
For the first year, they should consider doing it in Memphis. Just because you're giving Memphis a bump--also Louisville fans MAY travel, but I doubt it. Make it easy for fans of Houston, Memphis, SMU, Tulane just to give them a taste before you bring it East to the Palestra the next year.

Reaction Score
there was an article on this a few weeks back, said either Memphis or hartford

Reaction Score
I agree...Memphis makes the most sense at this point. Centrally located, nice facility. I like the idea of Philly, but not sure it makes the most sense.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Forget that. There is a better than decent chance there will be only one AAC tournament. May as well win it in Hartford, though Philly would do.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Mark Blaudschun covered college basketball for the Boston Globe for 25 years and provided what I thought was fair and balanced coverage. Now he has his own blog http://ajerseyguy.com , and with his connections and inside knowledge, I find it informative/interesting. eg. He had a good take on the Rutgers situation.

In any event, today he speculates about next year's AAC 1st tournament location:

"With the men’s college basketball season down to one game–Monday night’s championship game between Louisville and Michigan–it is time to jump back into the silly season of coaching/athletic director changes and other rumors.
Let’s start with the newly named American Athletic Conference, which now has a name–a corporate logo will be unveiled in a few weeks–but still needs sites for its men’s and women’s basketball tournaments next year.
Sources at the American, say that Philadelphia and the Palestra are very much in the target zone for the tournament which will be rotated.
American Commissioner Mike Aresco likes the historic nature of the Palestra, a location in Philadelphia, which is a college basketball city and the fact that with a smaller capacity (8,722) which will create a sold out arena and a ticket demand. There are other issues which must be examined, but The Palestra remains very much in the mix of what will be a revolving site situation for the first few years at least. The other sites that will receive serious consideration are Memphis, Hartford and Orlando."

Since I start driving back from Florida March 1st every year on my way to Southern Maryland, I could certainly arrange my trip to include Orlando and Memphis, or speed it up and do Philly. So, if Hartford doesn't get it, the other three are fine by me.

Four pages worth of opinions/arguments here...

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/america-12-to-palestra.36221/

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Like the B E baseball tourney I would love to see it in Tampa. Just think of AAC tourney followed by Spring Break.

C

Chief00

I don't like the 9k building philosphy. You should use the NBA arena......and have enough tixs for the fans. Temple should be able to fill some seats.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
No one is excited for the first AAC tourney.

Reaction Score
Palestra is really the ideal. The history there is a selling point for the AAC.

Unless some big donors want suites, etc.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The Palestra is affordable. Bridgeport might be.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
UConn is the most successful school in this new conference. Put the darn thing in Hartford. Time to cater to us for a change.

Hopefully that would lead to the facelift the XL center desperately needs.

Reaction Score
I don't like the 9k building philosphy. You should use the NBA arena......and have enough tixs for the fans. Temple should be able to fill some seats.
Yes..."IF" Philly were to get the nod, having it at The Palestra is absolutely ridiculous. You want to talk about reality hitting you in the face? We would go from MSG to an arena that seats under 9,000. "IF" Philly gets the tournament just have it at the Wells Fargo Center or whatever the heck the name is now. Seems like it changes every other year. That would be a nightmare if the AAC had to turn people away because the demand for tickets was 10,000 more than the arena capacity.

Reaction Score
Yes..."IF" Philly were to get the nod, having it at The Palestra is absolutely ridiculous. You want to talk about reality hitting you in the face? We would go from MSG to an arena that seats under 9,000. "IF" Philly gets the tournament just have it at the Wells Fargo Center or whatever the heck the name is now. Seems like it changes every other year. That would be a nightmare if the AAC had to turn people away because the demand for tickets was 10,000 more than the arena capacity.

The AAC is a television conference. Whatever looks good on TV, that's what matters. Good sightlines, pack the place, make it loud, get the fans involved.

Reaction Score
The Palestra is an amazing place to watch a game, no question. However having a conference tourney there is utterly absurd. Ticket prices would be through the roof. UConn fans alone would fill that place, not to mention Temple who is local, Memphis, Cinci, etc.

Reaction Score
The first AAC tour. SB excellent. at least three top 20 teams, Ville UCONN and Memphis. Also Houston, Cincy will be tough.

Reaction Score
Palestra? Nothing says minor league more than using an antiquated, second rate facility. Put it in Orlando, make it a tourist destination with easy access from all conference locations & run with it. Or, throw Memphis a bone & get bigtime FedEx sponsorship. Nip the Palestra idea in the bud.

Reaction Score
Palestra? Nothing says minor league more than using an antiquated, second rate facility.

Second rate facility? Its known as the Cathedral of College BB. Look I agree that putting the tourney there is a bad call, but saying its a second-rate facility is a bit much...

Reaction Score
The Palestra is an amazing place to watch a game, no question. However having a conference tourney there is utterly absurd. Ticket prices would be through the roof. UConn fans alone would fill that place, not to mention Temple who is local, Memphis, Cinci, etc.

They wouldn't have it there, if they thought they needed more seats. They are considering it, because they know that an NBA arena would be half full, at most, and the Palestra would be full, which would be perfect.

Reaction Score
They wouldn't have it there, if they thought they needed more seats. They are considering it, because they know that an NBA arena would be half full, at most, and the Palestra would be full, which would be perfect.

So you dont think the potential of losing $$ from at LEAST another 5k fans weighs into it all then? UConn - Ville sells 13k seats for a regular season game at the XL. You dont think a conference Tourney in Philly with UConn, Ville, Cinci, Memphis, Temple would out-sell that? Crazy.

Reaction Score
No one is excited for the first AAC tourney.
It all depends on how the teams do during the season. Momentum wise, we are in better shape than the C7BE. Their top team, GT, just embarrassed themselves and UConn and LV are both looking good going into next season. Seems like the AAC tourney will be pretty competitive, at least next year.

BTW, one can look at the women's final between UConn and LV as an all AAC final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom