OT: - Looking for advice re: vehicle purchase saga | The Boneyard

OT: Looking for advice re: vehicle purchase saga

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
So last summer I bought a used vehicle (Toyota Tundra) from a guy in San Diego. The seller was a nice guy. Everything was transacted online and went smoothly. I wired payment to seller and paid a transport company to deliver the truck to me in CO. No issues, truck is pristine as advertised. Seller paid off his bank loan, got the title and texted me a picture of it, and one of the USPS Priority Mail envelope when he sent it to me.

Well, the title never got here – lost in the mail. Seller initiated the process with the CA DMV to get a duplicate title. But he is in the Navy, and within a few days he deployed at sea somewhere. Fast forward 7 months, and I still have no title, and thus can’t register the vehicle. I have called, emailed and texted the seller, but haven’t heard a peep from him since Aug. 6, 2020. Through a bunch of Googling public records, I found a woman of roughly the same age as Seller who has shared his address. I managed to find her on LinkedIn, tracked down a phone number and called a few times. She answered after several tries, and turns out it’s Seller’s wife.

She was super nice, apologetic, and over the course of a few conversations she figured out that the duplicate title request was never processed by the DMV. So she said she would re-start the process. Then she decided to ghost me too. I haven’t been able to reach her by phone, email, or through LinkedIn since early December.

It's not like they have some sort of scam going here - the vehicle is in my driveway. They have no reason to not cooperate, and they both seemed like genuinely nice people. But jesus, this is pissing me off. The CA DMV will absolutely NOT share any info with me because I'm not the vehicle owner of record. Any advice on where I go from here? Get an attorney? Is there a way to contact deployed military personnel? Send a thug to the wife's office?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
That’s why the postal service is literally trash.

I used to flip video games and other small electronics on eBay, USPS would lose like 1/20 orders or so. Can you wait for the guy to come back and respond?

Reaction Score
Definitely hire a lawyer, a 'personal reminder to help you' could solve if you lived nearby but bringing a 3rd party into equation obviously has to be done legally.
If you want to save money and get cute maybe send them a strongly worded letter on attorney letterhead via certified mail.
Tell them in either case that they need to pay your damages and expenses.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

I used to flip video games and other small electronics on eBay, USPS would lose like 1/20 orders or so. Can you wait for the guy to come back and respond?
I can continue to wait, but I have no idea when he'll be back. In the meantime I have a really expensive hunk of metal in my driveway that I can't drive or sell.

I would have assumed that deployed people would have access to email or text messages. And i have no idea why the wife stopped responding.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Definitely hire a lawyer, a 'personal reminder to help you' could solve if you lived nearby but bringing a 3rd party into equation obviously has to be done legally.
If you want to save money and get cute maybe send them a strongly worded letter on attorney letterhead via certified mail.
Tell them in either case that they need to pay your damages and expenses.
Thanks. I assume a lawyer in CA would make the most sense? If so, any idea how I find an appropriate one?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sounds like some kind of scam to me. It could be a salvage, stolen or maybe they sold it before it was repossessed? Have you run the VIN number?

What about calling their local police department local and reporting it?

Seven months is ridiculous and with the wife ghosting you now it certainly sounds like something is up.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Why isn't a photo copy of the picture he took good enough?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Sounds like some kind of scam to me. It could be a salvage, stolen or maybe they sold it before it was repossessed? Have you run the VIN number?

Seven months is ridiculous and with the wife ghosting you now it certainly sounds like something is up.
Yeah, the VIN was clean. The seller was an active participant on a Tundra forum, which is where I found it/him. Guy sunk a ton of money into the vehicle and obviously loved the thing. It's just really weird. I may try the local police thing and see what they have to say. I mean, I've got a copy of the guy's driver's license, have his SS #, his bank account info, home address etc. I just don't get it...

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Why isn't a photo copy of the picture he took good enough?
Because he didn't take a picture of the back where he signed the title over to me. And my local DMV needs the actual document to issue a new title to me so I can register it here. In the meantime all i have is a temporary registration that expired last year.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Because he didn't take a picture of the back where he signed the title over to me. And my local DMV needs the actual document to issue a new title to me so I can register it here. In the meantime all i have is a temporary registration that expired last year.

How long is a temp registration good for? Stupid question, but can you sell the car to your wife and have her get another temp registration?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
How long is a temp registration good for? Stupid question, but can you sell the car to your wife and have her get another temp registration?
I want to say the temp was good for 60 or 90 days from the date on the bill of sale. When the first one expired, CO let me renew it, which got me into Dec. But that was the end of the line.

I can't sell the vehicle to anyone, because according to the DMV it's still owned by the guy in CA.

Reaction Score

Whenever people act that strange they have bad intentions. If this was all on the up and up they would stay in constant communication until it's dealt with and wouldn't let you sit there with a car you can't use for over half a year. This really sucks for @87Xfer and I think he'll have to get the law involved.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

I doubt he sent it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Buy three plane tickets to San Diego.

One is for you, and the other two are for a pair of gentlemen I will be sending with you.

Just drive them to the address and they will negotiate the surrender of the title for you. Wait in the car.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd look in to contacting the regional Naval legal office for San Diego. They can get your info and find out info about sailor's status. They won't be able to provide you all the info but they can initiate contact with his command.

Yes, the sailor has sporadic email/internet while at sea, it is inconsistent.

If I were a betting man at some point wife and sailor talked and he told her to clam up.

Also, several states have enacted protections for service members preventing foreclosures or seizures while they are deployed.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I'd look in to contacting the regional Naval legal office for San Diego. They can get your info and find out info about sailor's status. They won't be able to provide you all the info but they can initiate contact with his command.

Yes, the sailor has sporadic email/internet while at sea, it is inconsistent.

If I were a betting man at some point wife and sailor talked and he told her to clam up.

Also, several states have enacted protections for service members preventing foreclosures or seizures while they are deployed.
Hmmm, this is interesting. I may give it a shot.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
This is why I don’t conduct decent sized transactions via mail/online. Especially with a private individual. You couldn’t have found a similar car in person?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I doubt he sent it.
He gave me tracking info that showed that something was delivered to our subdivision mail boxes, but I never received it. I honestly think he sent it. The whole thing should have been no big deal - just request a duplicate. It's the radio silence that's so weird.

Reaction Score
He gave me tracking info that showed that something was delivered to our subdivision mail boxes, but I never received it. I honestly think he sent it. The whole thing should have been no big deal - just request a duplicate. It's the radio silence that's so weird.
I spent months trying to buy a car and the unfortuante reality is that a lot of people just don't care about you. to them, everything is complete. they don't have the car, they have the money, now you're just an annoyance. Unfortunately you may just have to escalate it to regain their attention.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
This is why I don’t conduct decent sized transactions via mail/online. Especially with a private individual. You couldn’t have found a similar car in person?
I searched near and far for several months, believe it or not. Searched ebay and Autotrader for anything within a 6 hour drive. Had dealers looking for me. Nothing. I've bought and sold a bunch of vehicles on line and have never had an issue until this one.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hmmm, this is interesting. I may give it a shot.

That is the official channel and it's a free phone call for you.

They'll let you know are your rights and what rights the sailor has going forward.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom