Looking for a self propelled, wide deck lawn mower | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looking for a self propelled, wide deck lawn mower

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Easy maintenance preferred. Looking for a quality mower.

Any suggestion on features to look for, and/or specific models? Do the electric mowers work as well as gas?

There two are available at my local Home Depot.

Reaction Score
Going electric this year with zero turn for 3 acres. Electric ZTRs are expensive, the going green life isn’t cheap, but you vote with your wallet as they say. Best choice for me seems to be Greenworks 48”, which is just under $7000- it mows 2 acres on a charge, I’d have to do the yard in two sessions. If I can spring for it, I’d step up to their 52”, it can mow a lot more on one charge, but now price is up to $13k. Would love to see a head-to-head comparison with Mean Green mowers. No rebates in my state for electric mowers yet (NH). Paying lawn service to do our yard is $125 per mowing, so with costs being $3-4k a year if someone else does it, the mowers pay for themselves in 3-5 years depending on model.
$13K? That's as much as a car. Yikes.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
$13K? That's as much as a car. Yikes.
yeah, we had 3+ acres in CT and i just did it with a low end John Deere ride-on. If you compare a $13k mower to just hiring someone, the breakeven has to be more than a decade, and with the latter you get trimming done for you and you don't lift a finger. Wait 5 years and the electric mowers will cost half what they do now.

Reaction Score
yeah, we had 3+ acres in CT and i just did it with a low end John Deere ride-on. If you compare a $13k mower to just hiring someone, the breakeven has to be more than a decade, and with the latter you get trimming done for you and you don't lift a finger. Wait 5 years and the electric mowers will cost half what they do now.
I have a half acre lot and got a 21" Greenworks electric push mower for like $250.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I have a half acre lot and got a 21" Greenworks electric push mower for like $250.
i hear you, but these guys are talking about monster electric mowers. No way I'm buying a $5k+ electric mower right now.

Have you had the pleasure of contacting Greenworks customer svc? I have an 80v (yes, 80) trimmer and chainsaw from them, and both have broken at least once. Each of my 5 or 6 calls to customer service has taken over an hour. I'm surprised they still exist.

Reaction Score
i hear you, but these guys are talking about monster electric mowers. No way I'm buying a $5k+ electric mower right now.

Have you had the pleasure of contacting Greenworks customer svc? I have an 80v (yes, 80) trimmer and chainsaw from them, and both have broken at least once. Each of my 5 or 6 calls to customer service has taken over an hour. I'm surprised they still exist.
No, I also have the leaf blower and weed wacker (all 60 V), but have only had them a year or two so haven't worn them out yet.

Reaction Score
No, I also have the leaf blower and weed wacker (all 60 V), but have only had them a year or two so haven't worn them out yet.

I have the Greenworks leaf blower, weed whacker, pole saw and chainsaw. The blower and whacker are fantastic. The saws are weak, which makes me fear the mowers. My impression is they are better at lighter duty tools.

When I go for another battery operated piece of equipment, I’ll spring for Stihl or similar.

Reaction Score
I’d highly recommend a Honda engine for low maintenance and easy start. Worth every extra penny. I have a friend that bought one in 1988 and used it to mow neighbor’s lawns. It is still running.
The Honda engine is the best. My snowblower starts every time.

Reaction Score
The 30 inch Toro looks like a real timesaver, especially with the mulching blade setup. I actually hardly rake leaves anymore in the fall as I just mulch them with my 22 inch push mower. You can look at local dealers like WH Pruess in Bolton or Ganos in Colchester for other options from people that service what they sell and know what they are talking about. Toro has been a reliable brand for decades.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom