Looking back at what went wrong in a season that was almost so right for the UConn women | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looking back at what went wrong in a season that was almost so right for the UConn women

Reaction Score
As I've stated before, last year's semi loss to ND was easily Geno's worst-coached game. After ND blindsided UConn in the 1st quarter (the team wasnt mentally ready), Geno figured out how to use Azura & UConn jumped to a 7-point halftime lead. At this point, UConn had a 90% probability of winning.

So, what does Geno do to start the 2nd half? He benches Azura & ND was able to get even. UConn pulls ahead again & leads by 8 with 6-minutes left. At this point, UConn win probability is 93%!!! Then, UConn stopped playing aggressively, letting ND storm ahead.

UConn had the superior talent & depth, but Geno could find/leverage the mismatches to pull away in the game. He should have. It never should have come down to last second possessions on both ends.

As for the MSST semi, I felt UConn just ran out of gas & was outplayed for large stretches of the game. They were very fortunate to tie the game with the controversial KLS call. But, my god. Why is Chong driving with so much time left?? Even if she made a layup, it was the wrong play to score with so much time left. MSST would be happy to try the 3 to end the game. The correct coaching call was for Chong (or someone else like KLS!) to start the play with about 10 seconds left - enough time to have a 2nd attempt but not long enough for MSST to rebound and score. It was Geno's job to hammer this point home in the timeout, but apparently he didnt.

Reaction Score
Kind of a weird article...if we're being blunt, my 5 "what went wrong" about last year would be:

1. Lack of a go to player down the stretch--watch the end of the Final Four game and you'll see that Notre Dame was clearly the aggressor. UCONN's best scorer, KLS, didn't get any good looks down the stretch and no one was taking the ball hard to the basket. Notre Dame had Arike/Young who were both exceptional off the dribble and getting in the passing lanes. UCONN's offense worked great all year, but when they were stagnant they didn't have a bailout player.

4. As the writer noted, lack of production from freshmen. Having another weapon off the bench would've been extremely helpful. Walker wasn't about to provide the boost needed.

if there's any good news about the coming season it's that Christyn Williams is capable of getting her own shot any time she wants it..........if it comes down to one last possession and the set plays aren't working just give her the ball and get out of the way..........

Reaction Score
if there's any good news about the coming season it's that Christyn Williams is capable of getting her own shot any time she wants it.....if it comes down to one last possession and the set plays aren't working just give her the ball and get out of the way.....
For me, if it comes down to one player one shot with the game on the line, I want KLS taking that shot.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As I've stated before, last year's semi loss to ND was easily Geno's worst-coached game. After ND blindsided UConn in the 1st quarter (the team wasnt mentally ready), Geno figured out how to use Azura & UConn jumped to a 7-point halftime lead. At this point, UConn had a 90% probability of winning.
Oh boy. Here we go again. So you have a starting line up that has won 36 straight games (minus a change or 2 for injuries) that was ahead by 7 at the half, and you want the coach to change the lineup???? That would be one of the most moronic things a coach could ever do.

As for the MSST semi, I felt UConn just ran out of gas & was outplayed for large stretches of the game. They were very fortunate to tie the game with the controversial KLS call. But, my god. Why is Chong driving with so much time left?? Even if she made a layup, it was the wrong play to score with so much time left. MSST would be happy to try the 3 to end the game. The correct coaching call was for Chong (or someone else like KLS!) to start the play with about 10 seconds left - enough time to have a 2nd attempt but not long enough for MSST to rebound and score. It was Geno's job to hammer this point home in the timeout, but apparently he didnt.
Yea, as we've read that was the coaching call. It wasn't followed. She thought she saw an opening, tried to take advantage of the situation, and it didn't work. Happens sometimes, Geno doesn't have a joystick.

Reaction Score
Oh boy. Here we go again. So you have a starting line up that has won 36 straight games (minus a change or 2 for injuries) that was ahead by 7 at the half, and you want the coach to change the lineup???? That would be one of the most moronic things a coach could ever do.

Yea, as we've read that was the coaching call. It wasn't followed. She thought she saw an opening, tried to take advantage of the situation, and it didn't work. Happens sometimes, Geno doesn't have a joystick.

BostonFan simply pointing out that the starting team was down 10 after the first quarter. With Stevens dominating in the second quarter there was a 17 point turn-around, with UConn up by 7 at half. Moronic to have started Stevens in the 2nd half? Really??

Reaction Score
The stats (as i posted earlier) pretty much back the thesis that Azura was the difference maker in the semifinal game. The fact Geno didn't start her in the 2nd half and let ND get back in the game cost the team. It's hard to deny something so cut and dry. It was a big coaching mistake.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
BostonFan simply pointing out that the starting team was down 10 after the first quarter. With Stevens dominating in the second quarter there was a 17 point turn-around, with UConn up by 7 at half. Moronic to have started Stevens in the 2nd half? Really??
Yes, really.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom