Looking back at what went wrong in a season that was almost so right for the UConn women | The Boneyard

Looking back at what went wrong in a season that was almost so right for the UConn women

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For the second year in a row, UConn’s season ended in devastating fashion with a last-second loss to Notre Dame. It was the Huskies’ only loss in a season in which they looked utterly dominant. Here’s a look back at five things that what went right last season to propel the Huskies to the precipice of the national title game, and five things that went wrong to produce another gut-wrenching stumble:

What went right?
1. Starting strong: The Huskies started off the season strong, defeating 10th-ranked Stanford and No. 3 Notre Dame in the first month of the season. Even though it took a comeback win to beat Notre Dame, it gave the Huskies momentum because it proved they could win in tough situations.

UConn Seniors Katie Lou Samuelson, Napheesa Collier Ready To Face Final Season »

[Article]

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For the last 2 seasons Geno has said that the team lacked the player who wanted the ball in her hands for the last shot. Sorta surprised me then and something I find hard to parse even now. For me the problem last year revolved around an under the table skunk water deal between the NCAA and ND and there always will be that Black * next to that 2018 title for ND.

Reaction Score
For the last 2 seasons Geno has said that the team lacked the player who wanted the ball in her hands for the last shot. Sorta surprised me then and something I find hard to parse even now. For me the problem last year revolved around an under the table skunk water deal between the NCAA and ND and there always will be that Black * next to that 2018 title for ND.
Smh, let's be honest... Why did Saniya Chong have the ball on that last possession for us? Really, Saniya? Why wasn't it passed off to Lou or Kia or Pheesa? 16 seconds left and her handling and driving the ball was a great idea?

Last year... Why inbound the ball to Gabby who took a fade away jumper? You have a 6'6 player in Stevens whose shot was on and had no one to truly defend her shot at her height. Why not a lob into the paint after a set pick? That would be high percentage. Or even Lou, who at 6'3 has the advantage and the skill to get that shot up and in?

Forget the other teams, we had our chances and the plays that were run were not favorable for us to be victorious. It starts there! We were up 8 in the 4th qtr against ND! Pheesa missed a crucial free throw or 2 against MSST. The mirror is as far as we have to look! Go Huskies!

Carnac

Reaction Score
We must have the only program in sports history where losing 2 out of 100 games - both at the buzzer - makes it seem like something went wrong. Every program in the country should have such problems. :cool:

You’re just about right. Here’s why: during the last 10 years, UConn is the only program to have not one but two monumental and newsworthy consecutive win streaks. Neither of which will ever be broken. Included in those streaks were 4 undefeated seasons and 6 championships.

Remember 3 years ago right after UConn beat Syracuse to win a national championship in a post game presser Quentin Hillsman said "UConn has forgotten how to lose?". WCBB has been "conditioned" to accept the idea that UConn does not lose very many games. So when they do, you get these types of stories from sports columnists and beat writers.

So your observation is spot on. If I recall correctly, I recently read that Kia and Gabby finished their 4 years at UConn without losing a home game. Saniya Chong's career record (2014-2017) was 152-2. The 2014 & 2016 teams were undefeated. Her teams lost 2 games in 4 years. Again, that's why it's a big deal when UConn loses.

Think about that for a moment. How many other women basketball players in Division 1 can make that same representation? It’s still newsworthy when UConn loses a game because it’s an oddity when they do.

Fun fact - Mankind (news media) still makes a big deal over a lunar or solar eclipse because of their rare occurrence. Same difference here. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Smh, let's be honest... Why did Saniya Chong have the ball on that last possession for us? Really, Saniya? Why wasn't it passed off to Lou or Kia or Pheesa? 16 seconds left and her handling and driving the ball was a great idea?

Last year... Why inbound the ball to Gabby who took a fade away jumper? You have a 6'6 player in Stevens whose shot was on and had no one to truly defend her shot at her height. Why not a lob into the paint after a set pick? That would be high percentage. Or even Lou, who at 6'3 has the advantage and the skill to get that shot up and in?

Forget the other teams, we had our chances and the plays that were run were not favorable for us to be victorious. It starts there! We were up 8 in the 4th qtr against ND! Pheesa missed a crucial free throw or 2 against MSST. The mirror is as far as we have to look! Go Huskies!

These are all good points. However, my point had to do with ND not being the opponent but for the NCAA's get out of jail free card.

Reaction Score
The same little bit that Baylor had no answer for the Goliath of Women's basketball couldn't stop and she won it for her team again.

Y'all may hate to have lost that way, but for fans it's great. People complain not enough parity in the game and both of those losses wether it was UConn winning or losing are both great for Women's Basketball.

Reaction Score
The same little bit that Baylor had no answer for the Goliath of Women's basketball couldn't stop and she won it for her team again.

Y'all may hate to have lost that way, but for fans it's great. People complain not enough parity in the game and both of those losses wether it was UConn winning or losing are both great for Women's Basketball.
I'm not sure what happened the last couple of years really adds to the parity argument. To lose two straight years in the same game in the same way to prayer shots is just bad luck.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what happened the last couple of years really adds to the parity argument. To lose two straight years in the same game in the same way to prayer shots is just bad luck.

I agree. I mean look at the Dodger's, Miss State, Ranger's.....sometimes luck has everything to do with it.

Carnac

Reaction Score
When was the last time UConn lost in regulation? 2014?

No. That loss against Stanford was in OT.
77 all at the end of regulation. The only loss of that season. You can add Amber Orrange’s 3 from the corner in regulation as time ran out to send it to overtime as a difference maker. If she clangs that shot and it doesn’t drop, UConn wins in regulation.

Reaction Score

All good points. In addition, injuries created a very thin line up, particularly regarding shut down defenders. 2 years ago, Kia could hardly walk, and last year, Crystal had to gut her way up and down court on both offense and defense.

Reaction Score
When was the last time UConn won with a buzzer-beater? Not being arbitrary, just seeking an answer.

Sue Bird's buzzer beater in the BE Championship game vrs. ND was the last that I can recall.

Reaction Score
No. That loss against Stanford was in OT.
77 all at the end of regulation. The only loss of that season. You can add Amber Orrange’s 3 from the corner in regulation as time ran out to send it to overtime as a difference maker. If she clangs that shot and it doesn’t drop, UConn wins.
So then 2013, the year we lost to ND three times but beat them in the tourney. That's 5 1/2 years without a loss in regulation.

Carnac

Reaction Score
So then 2013, the year we lost to ND three times but beat them in the tourney. That's 5 1/2 years without a loss in regulation.

I have researched that, you are correct!! ;)

2013 = 35-4 (loss to ND 3X and Baylor) Won the NC (Louisville)
2014 = 40-0 Won NC
2015 = 38-1 (Stanford in OT Nov 2014) Won NC
2016 = 38-0 Won NC
2017 = 36-1 (Miss St in OT Mar 2017)

Reaction Score
I am not able to read the article because I have "reached my limit of free Hartford Courant" articles...but that's ok. It might be an interesting read, but like others the idea of "what went wrong?" is a bit off base. The 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 UCONN Husky Womens Basketball Teams were in a word incredible. No one expected them to do much in 16-17 after the loss of the 3 who graduated and went 1, 2, 3 in the NBA Draft, but they went to the final four undefeated and having beaten a ton of top 20 teams to lose on a last second prayer in overtime. The 17-18 team were more highly regarded from the beginning of the season and again made it to the final four undefeated...again to lose on an almost last second prayer in overtime. 2 losses in 2 seasons...unfortunately 1 step from the championship game each time. Any other program would consider those to be highly successful seasons....but in "UCONN Land" they are considered something much less. We are truly "Spoiled" by the great success of the 4 straight NCs and 11 overall... but our Teams have trained hard, played hard and left it all out on the court. What went wrong? Nothing except that they were among the best 4 teams in the Land, and lost to someone who had just a little more luck when it mattered most.

I am so excited for this season! Go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score

I feel the same about the Transfer deal because it was one not offered before for nearly a nothing reason.
That transfer in that game, may have kept the score closer than normal, maybe. But it was not she that made the final basket. Geno in the past said: The game was not lost with that last shot it was lost by the missed plays earlier, again Maybe. But for certain if that shot were missed the end may have been different. Give ND and Ms St credit for being in a position to win--I hate it but credit they deserve

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What went wrong is UConn didn't have a Go To Player that could take over a game when necessary. Talented players but not the one player like Stewie or DT that took control of the game when necessary. At times players seemed to defer to other players instead of taking charge. The lack of size in the low post also contributed to the losses. The player I was most disappointed in was Kia. We saw how she took over against Team USA in the Pan Am Games and led Canada to the Gold Medal. She was unstoppable. She never displayed the same attitude she did in the Pan Am Games, in any of her F4 tournament games. Kia was a good player for UConn, but not a Go To player when it was critical. We'll never know what would have happened if Katie-Lou was completely healthy in both of the F4's.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I am not able to read the article because I have "reached my limit of free Hartford Courant" articles...but that's ok. It might be an interesting read, but like others the idea of "what went wrong?" is a bit off base. The 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 UCONN Husky Womens Basketball Teams were in a word incredible. No one expected them to do much in 16-17 after the loss of the 3 who graduated and went 1, 2, 3 in the NBA Draft, but they went to the final four undefeated and having beaten a ton of top 20 teams to lose on a last second prayer in overtime. The 17-18 team were more highly regarded from the beginning of the season and again made it to the final four undefeated...again to lose on an almost last second prayer in overtime. 2 losses in 2 seasons...unfortunately 1 step from the championship game each time. Any other program would consider those to be highly successful seasons....but in "UCONN Land" they are considered something much less. We are truly "Spoiled" by the great success of the 4 straight NCs and 11 overall... but our Teams have trained hard, played hard and left it all out on the court. What went wrong? Nothing except that they were among the best 4 teams in the Land, and lost to someone who had just a little more luck when it mattered most.

I am so excited for this season! Go Huskies!!!!

If you clear all of the cookies that are stored on your computer, you'll be able to read the article. Those stored cookies are what's preventing you from access to the article. There are free cleaners you can down load from the app store.
I use several programs to keep my system free of cookies and malware.

Before I turn off my computer, I always run the cleaner to erase any cookies that were stored during my time on the WWW. I recocmend CC Cleaner. it works for me and it's free.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Kind of a weird article...if we're being blunt, my 5 "what went wrong" about last year would be:

1. Lack of a go to player down the stretch--watch the end of the Final Four game and you'll see that Notre Dame was clearly the aggressor. UCONN's best scorer, KLS, didn't get any good looks down the stretch and no one was taking the ball hard to the basket. Notre Dame had Arike/Young who were both exceptional off the dribble and getting in the passing lanes. UCONN's offense worked great all year, but when they were stagnant they didn't have a bailout player.

2. Everyone else in women's basketball was a LOT better than they were in 2016-17. Look at how loaded this past senior class was. Look at how good the Final Four teams were in 2017-18 compared to 2016-17. All 4 Final Four squads had championship caliber teams. The competition improved tremendously.

3. I don't think Stevens was ever fully utilized the way she should've been. I'm guessing she didn't mesh as well with Geno as fans had hoped, but Geno sitting her almost the entire 1st and 3rd quarter was ultimately what allowed ND to stay in the game IMO. With Stevens in the lineup, we saw Collier's production and efficiency take a big dip too. I'm not sure if this was the fault of Stevens, Collier, or Geno, but I don't think her presence ultimately made the team better as a whole even though she clearly was a very impactful player at times.

4. As the writer noted, lack of production from freshmen. Having another weapon off the bench would've been extremely helpful. Walker wasn't about to provide the boost needed.

5. Lack of experience in single possession games. UCONN's dominance is a blessing and a curse in some ways. Historically, UCONN has never done well in games that go down to the wire. Usually if it's close late, they step on the gas and pull away for a 10+ point win even if it's close with a few minutes to go. When teams can go toe to toe all the way to the end, UCONN has been prone to bad decision making and poor execution. Not sure there's anyway to break that spell besides playing in more close games, but in the last decade, every very tight game with less than a minute to go has resulted in a loss or awful execution in crucial moments.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom