Looking back 2013 WNBA Draft | The Boneyard

Looking back 2013 WNBA Draft

Reaction Score
Today I believe was the 5th year anniversary of the WNBA draft in 2013 and thought it be fun to look back at some of the picks, crazy to think aside the obvious big 3 there is possibly only a couple picks still left playing in the WNBA. Any particular reason to why?
2013 WNBA draft - Wikipedia

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Today I believe was the 5th year anniversary of the WNBA draft in 2013 and thought it be fun to look back at some of the picks, crazy to think aside the obvious big 3 there is possibly only a couple picks still left playing in the WNBA. Any particular reason to why?
Only a couple?

Tayler Hill (4th), Layshia Clarendon (9th), Alex Bentley (13th), Sugar Rodgers (14th), and Emma Meesseman (19th) have all been very successful in the W. Clarendon was even named to the USA Basketball pool for 2017-20. I would describe Kelsey Bone (5th) as a limited success. At least a few others (e.g.: Alexander, Hawkins) are still in the league as well.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Really strong draft when you look at the success of those three, plus other players that Plebe mentioned.

Compare that to 2012 where the only standouts are Nneka, Glory and Hayes. The only players still active are the top 5 picks, Riquna Williams and Hayes.

Or compare that to 2015 where the only really successful players have been Williams and Loyd.
Harrison/Hamby/Boyd/Stokes have been solid but could get lost in the shuffle with strong 2018 and 2019 classes. Players like Zahui B, KML, and Parker could all be out of the league soon. And I believe those are the only remaining player should from the draft just 3 years ago.

Wnba drafts generally only have about 5-10 players (or less) who can really stick in the league. I think the 2018 and 2019 classes will the best we’ve had in quite some time, and we’ll likely see a lot of players earning playing time and having 5+ year careers.

Reaction Score
That was a strong draft. 12 out of the top 14 are either still in the WNBA or competing for a position on a team (K. Faris). Emma Meesseman was clearly the steal of the draft as she is an important starter for the Mystics. Bone had a strong time with the Sun and will be back this year with the Las Vegas Ages. Bentley and Rodgers have been pretty strong as has been Taylor Hill and Kayla Alexander. The turnover in the WNBA is mostly because there are so few teams and new talented players come into the league each year.

Reaction Score

Like others have stated, that 2013 draft was solid. Quite a few players are still hooping in the WNBA. To answer that last part, many players don't find the right fit within a team. They may not like their role on the team. The coaching philosophy is off. Or a team has too many players at one spot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom