Looking at the season so far | The Boneyard

Looking at the season so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You know alot of us under estimated Geno's coaching ability. Many this season thought UConn would lose 3,5,8 games or more. We are undefeated without a true starting post player. Geno has been able to build his teams every year around the players abilities. This years team is balanced, quick and terrific ball handlers. UConns defense is a trademark and there really hasnt been a team that can duplicate it. This season we get to see how far behind all the other teams in WCBB really are compared to UConn. This was suppose to be a down year. This was suppose to be a year when opponents would have a chance to get even with UConn for all the beatings they faced in the past. It aint happenin....

This years team is another chapter in Genos Book of Coaching. The secret is his discipline and ability to teach his team to do what he wants them to do. You've heard that repetition is the mother of skill. IMO only when your taught the right way to do it. Only when you practice the right way from someone who can teach you the right way to do it. Then its all about repetition until it becomes reflexive. You do it without thinking about it, it just happens because you mind and body know how to react.

What we can learn from this season is how far all the other teams in WCBB are behind UConn. The sad thing for all our opponents this season is we will be alot better next season and the season after thus 6 more seasons of very talented UConn teams. Hey we may lose games this year. Things could happen. None the less I see another FINAL FOUR. This team Believes. What a great thing to say around Christmas Believe.

Reaction Score
Great post, Tonyc. I'd just differ in your opening statement, that a lot of us have underestimated Geno's coaching ability. Maybe some have, but many, if not most, are UConn fans precisely because we are so enthralled by Geno's skills. If UConn won all the time, frankly, they'd have fewer fans. Competition--and that means successful competition--is what makes any sport interesting.

In the link below that I posted elsewhere, near the very end, Geno explains his teaching goal for this year: "if you want to be the team that I know you guys want to be, this is what you got to do." He's keeping the expectations undefined. The sky's the limit, but it's up to the players to set their goal and then reach for it. Like any great teacher, he's asking his students to internalize their goal. And like any truly great coach, Geno is feeling his way as he continues to discover his players' strengths (as well as trying to hide, as he also says here, their weaknesses--such as no dominant post, as you mention above). Of course, he's playing with house money, because, whatever happens this year, this team will only get better, and yet it will virtually show up in tact next October with astonishingly talented reinforcements as well.

Video | Geno Auriemma on UConn's success

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
upload_2016-12-17_12-21-39.png
Let's also give Kia some house money. Thanks for being an 84-0 starter, a two-time NC, a preseason AAC POY, an acknowledged team leader, a lockdown defender, and a passionate player. You may not be the scorer you were for two weeks on Team Canada, but we still love you.
upload_2016-12-17_12-27-9.png
Natalie, you have been a key player in several close battles this season, and the continuing of UCONN's winning ways (even if the streak ends) Thanks for recognizing the teams 2016-2017 needs and for working so hard to overcome injuries and to get into shape for this season. You may not have Big Momma Steph's footwork and hands, but we still love you.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You know alot of us under estimated Geno's coaching ability.
Really nice post and great follow-ups from Bags27 and Oldbones.

But I don't think anyone under-estimated either Geno's coaching or the talent of the players coming into this year. Most predicted a game in the elite eight and a solid chance to continue the FF streak and many anticipated an even chance at #12. And honestly, that is all we know now as well - the Uconn history is full of NCAA glory but also disappointments and the last three games are really hard to win for any team, even Uconn.

What I think we all under-estimated when looking at the OOC schedule is how quickly this team would gel and perform with maturity beyond their experience to date. And while the coaches have something to do with that, I put most of the credit on the individual players and the leadership the elders ones are providing for the younger ones. That is to me, and I think most of the fans is what is most surprising with this team.

That last paragraph is also why I am more cautious about predicting how the season will end. Every team will improve between these first two months and March, but Uconn has already improved dramatically in 'team' areas while I think other teams have been slower in that area, but now have a greater 'upside' in those same areas.

Every year teams adjust to new personnel and team chemistry - the assumption was not only did Uconn lose it's three most talented players, but it lost all of its leadership and the adjustment for the new team would be huge. It was huge, but the team between practice, preseason games and it's first squeaker, made amazing strides in adjusting to that. Other teams with fewer adjustments were supposed to have it easier and make those adjustments quicker. When I look at Baylor and ND, and TX, and SC - I see the opposite - Uconn came together much more quickly than they did even though on paper their job was easier. What give me pause is the only advantage to the quicker adjustment is in the early season results - these other teams will complete their adjustments, it is just taking them longer. All the other stuff of individuals getting better, and offense and defense getting tighter that happen to all teams will continue to happen, but it may look like other teams are improving more because Uconn was such a quick study.

Long winded attempt to describe something that seems clear in my head! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
You may count me as one of those who thought 3/4 losses was a certainty, but not due to any lack of confidence in Geno's greatness - I underestimated the Core Four's ability to provide the outstanding cohesion and leadership at such a relatively young age. Never a doubter.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Great post, Tonyc. I'd just differ in your opening statement, that a lot of us have underestimated Geno's coaching ability. Maybe some have, but many, if not most, are UConn fans precisely because we are so enthralled by Geno's skills. If UConn won all the time, frankly, they'd have fewer fans. Competition--and that means successful competition--is what makes any sport interesting.

In the link below that I posted elsewhere, near the very end, Geno explains his teaching goal for this year: "if you want to be the team that I know you guys want to be, this is what you got to do." He's keeping the expectations undefined. The sky's the limit, but it's up to the players to set their goal and then reach for it. Like any great teacher, he's asking his students to internalize their goal. And like any truly great coach, Geno is feeling his way as he continues to discover his players' strengths (as well as trying to hide, as he also says here, their weaknesses--such as no dominant post, as you mention above). Of course, he's playing with house money, because, whatever happens this year, this team will only get better, and yet it will virtually show up in tact next October with astonishingly talented reinforcements as well.

Nice post Bags. I've seen this video before, but it's worth watching again. To all UConn fans/boosters: If you have not viewed this 7 minute video, please do. Pay attention to his comments toward the end of the piece, about how fans think they know the UConn players, but really don't.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You may count me as one of those who thought 3/4 losses was a certainty, but not due to any lack of confidence in Geno's greatness - I underestimated the Core Four's ability to provide the outstanding cohesion and leadership at such a relatively young age. Never a doubter.

I join in your take. I too thought there was no way UConn is going undefeated this season. I'm not so sure now. I've walked that prediction back some what. I never doubted his coaching ability. I did doubt the latent talent this team has, and its ability to rise to the level it has so quickly. One thing we did see and recognize was that he has a very short and inexperienced (at this level) bench. Butler, Lawlor & 3 freshmen. That short bench will not be problematic once conference play begins, just for the next 3 games.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Really nice post and great follow-ups from Bags27 and Oldbones.

But I don't think anyone under-estimated either Geno's coaching or the talent of the players coming into this year. Most predicted a game in the elite eight and a solid chance to continue the FF streak and many anticipated an even chance at #12. And honestly, that is all we know now as well - the Uconn history is full of NCAA glory but also disappointments and the last three games are really hard to win for any team, even Uconn.

What I think we all under-estimated when looking at the OOC schedule is how quickly this team would gel and perform with maturity beyond their experience to date. And while the coaches have something to do with that, I put most of the credit on the individual players and the leadership the elders ones are providing for the younger ones. That is to me, and I think most of the fans is what is most surprising with this team.

That last paragraph is also why I am more cautious about predicting how the season will end. Every team will improve between these first two months and March, but Uconn has already improved dramatically in 'team' areas while I think other teams have been slower in that area, but now have a greater 'upside' in those same areas.

Every year teams adjust to new personnel and team chemistry - the assumption was not only did Uconn lose it's three most talented players, but it lost all of its leadership and the adjustment for the new team would be huge. It was huge, but the team between practice, preseason games and it's first squeaker, made amazing strides in adjusting to that. Other teams with fewer adjustments were supposed to have it easier and make those adjustments quicker. When I look at Baylor and ND, and TX, and SC - I see the opposite - Uconn came together much more quickly than they did even though on paper their job was easier. What give me pause is the only advantage to the quicker adjustment is in the early season results - these other teams will complete their adjustments, it is just taking them longer. All the other stuff of individuals getting better, and offense and defense getting tighter that happen to all teams will continue to happen, but it may look like other teams are improving more because Uconn was such a quick study.

Long winded attempt to describe something that seems clear in my head! :rolleyes:

The best explanation I've read so far this season as to why UConn was able to jump out of the starting gates so quickly and sprint out to a 9-0 start. Great post UcMiami. Two thumbs up to you sir!! :)

Reaction Score
Every team will improve between these first two months and March, but Uconn has already improved dramatically in 'team' areas while I think other teams have been slower in that area, but now have a greater 'upside' in those same areas.:rolleyes:
You may be correct about other teams perhaps having greater upsides at this point. But I'm not sure. Aside from the continuing benefit of playing and practicing together, I think UConn has two players in the rotation with still raw talents that could bloom even brighter in the coming weeks: Danger and Gabby. Gabby missed almost two years of high school. She is just learning to play basketball. Her pull-up jumper will get much better. It could happen this year. Gabby could also become a threat from behind the arc. her defense is already good, and she could well become a lock-down defender. Danger is a sun impatient to rise. Her court vision and passing skills are in place now. Her defense is steadily improving. Soon she will master the offense and make better choices with the ball. It's a tall order but she shows the kind of determination and fearlessness that might get it done. These things may not happen, but opponents had better not depend on UConn not getting much better than they are now. In March, they may face an even more Gabulous Gabby, and Danger may be Dynamite!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice New Corn!
I don't disagree, but see the same things possible for other teams as well - Baylor specifically has some great freshman that are barely getting minutes yet and other teams do as well. They will not have the advantages of being subjected to the rigor of the Uconn coaching staff's ability to teach and critique which is not insubstantial, but ..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was extremely optimistic prior to the start of the season, so I had the Huskies at 10-2 with a loss at ND and another to either Baylor at home or MD on the road (fingers crossed). Obviously, I was not optimistic enough.

Between now and December 29 I am working diligently to contain what Alan Greenspan would refer to as, "excessive exuberance."

If and when the Huskies run the table on their pre-conference schedule, then it's PARTY TIME!!!:D

Reaction Score
Nice post Bags. I've seen this video before, but it's worth watching again. To all UConn fans/boosters: If you have not viewed this 7 minute video, please do. Pay attention to his comments toward the end of the piece, about how fans think they know the UConn players, but really don't.

Carnac, this video clip is from the first Geno Auriemma Show on SNY. You can watch all of these throughout the year @uconnhuskygames.com, including the complete first show. Use "Recent Uploads" link.

Reaction Score

WHATEVER HAPPENS AFTER THIS, SINCE YOU BROUGHT THIS SUBJECT TO THE BONEYARD, for this more than casual observer and fan, is gravy. He challenged them to be the team they want to be, and guess what, THEY are 9-0. That's the story, the look on their faces as they accepted the challenge and followed though on the demanding practices to reach this early amazing record. I didn't see this coming, but the looks on their faces, Nat's, "They need me, I can't mess up." And Gabby, running until she's close to exhaustion. "Tired? You kidding? That's why I came to UCONN!" And so on. Whatever happens, with this team, color me converted.

Reaction Score
This is a great topic (thanks, Tony!). Count me among those who thought UConn would have up to 3 losses before tournament time, including ND. Given what the team has shown, and barring injuries, I still see one loss as likely, but an undefeated regular season is not out of the realm of possibility. I would never have said that as my wife and I walked into the FSU game to start the season. And I would never have believed that the game we saw would be UConn's closest of the season to date.

Maryland is still the most likely loss (with the odds slightly better against SC later in the season). I think the South Florida games will b interesting, but I don't see losses there or during the conference schedule at all.

Reaction Score
I was extremely optimistic prior to the start of the season, so I had the Huskies at 10-2 with a loss at ND and another to either Baylor at home or MD on the road (fingers crossed). Obviously, I was not optimistic enough.

Between now and December 29 I am working diligently to contain what Alan Greenspan would refer to as, "excessive exuberance."

If and when the Huskies run the table on their pre-conference schedule, then it's PARTY TIME!!!:D

I think it's "irrational exuberance," FF. Having read all the posts so far, I don't believe anyone has raised the real specter of the danger to UConn this year: no depth. If any starter (except perhaps Saniya) is out for any length of time, there's no one to replace her. According to Massey, the Huskies are predicted to go undefeated. Maryland, South Carolina, and even USF may put up a fight. But w/o all of our current starters available, we are truly vulnerable.

Reaction Score
Great posts as usual. I just take a slightly different path in explaining why I thought UConn could lose 2 games this year. (I thought one loss during and one loss at the end of the season was a reasonable prediction.) The main reason for my prediction for those losses had to do with the 8 to 10 solid teams who had very good starters coming back (we had two) or picked up several elite players (transfers or recruits--we had one.)
IMHO Geno was going to be very competitive, but IT SEEMED that those teams were loaded with talent--more so than UConn. As Ucity and others stated Geno brought the team together so much quicker than most expected. However, (here is the different path) NO coach so far, has brought out the POTENTIAL of the transfers or new recruits on those top 10 teams. Geno did his part or more (greater than or equal to) and the other coaches/teams have performed less than and not even equal to.
And to the improvement from December to March--3 0r 4 teams could move up the ladder, but no one does it like Geno and staff. It looks like better than even money UConn will be there at the end.

Reaction Score
You know alot of us under estimated Geno's coaching ability. Many this season thought UConn would lose 3,5,8 games or more. We are undefeated without a true starting post player. Geno has been able to build his teams every year around the players abilities. This years team is balanced, quick and terrific ball handlers. UConns defense is a trademark and there really hasnt been a team that can duplicate it. This season we get to see how far behind all the other teams in WCBB really are compared to UConn. This was suppose to be a down year. This was suppose to be a year when opponents would have a chance to get even with UConn for all the beatings they faced in the past. It aint happenin....

This years team is another chapter in Genos Book of Coaching. The secret is his discipline and ability to teach his team to do what he wants them to do. You've heard that repetition is the mother of skill. IMO only when your taught the right way to do it. Only when you practice the right way from someone who can teach you the right way to do it. Then its all about repetition until it becomes reflexive. You do it without thinking about it, it just happens because you mind and body know how to react.

What we can learn from this season is how far all the other teams in WCBB are behind UConn. The sad thing for all our opponents this season is we will be alot better next season and the season after thus 6 more seasons of very talented UConn teams. Hey we may lose games this year. Things could happen. None the less I see another FINAL FOUR. This team Believes. What a great thing to say around Christmas Believe.
'

'All those who are having stress attacks because Uconn is so good defensively and offensively --must understand the secret to Geno success is no secret at all: harder practices than games, Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning---learn bb fundamentals to the nth degree, know who you are and who you are playing to the n plus degree.

I don't usually respond to people who hate Geno--as you do-- but this is an exception. BELIEVE~~!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Having read all the posts so far, I don't believe anyone has raised the real specter of the danger to UConn this year: no depth. If any starter (except perhaps Saniya) is out for any length of time, there's no one to replace her. According to Massey, the Huskies are predicted to go undefeated. Maryland, South Carolina, and even USF may put up a fight. But w/o all of our current starters available, we are truly vulnerable.
Huskyd,
Not to blow my own horn, but you need to check out the thread I started after the ND game (The Huskies Achilles Heel), where I raised the subject of depth, foul trouble & injuries.........well I guess I am blowing my own horn:confused:

Reaction Score

Thanks Bags for making that distinction. I posted prior to this that I became a UConn/Geno fan because in those early time games when he got behind at the half--I was always certain he'd pull a rabbit out of his pants pockets (he doesn't wear a hat) and put up another win
I was rarely disappointed !!

Reaction Score
Huskyd,
Not to blow my own horn, but you need to check out the thread I started after the ND game (The Huskies Achilles Heel), where I raised the subject of depth, foul trouble & injuries....well I guess I am blowing my own horn:confused:

toot toot toot---The horn is blowing for you, seems I read something along those lines---

Reaction Score
While I agree that UConn has played well above the expectations of virtually everybody to this point, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves just yet. Don't get me wrong, this is a damn good basketball team and they deserve all the credit in the world playing the way they have so far, but there is a lot of season left. IMHO UConn has yet to play the two toughest games on their schedule in Maryland and South Carolina. So lets take it game by game and not upset the basketball gods.

Reaction Score
Huskyd,
Not to blow my own horn, but you need to check out the thread I started after the ND game (The Huskies Achilles Heel), where I raised the subject of depth, foul trouble & injuries....well I guess I am blowing my own horn:confused:

I did read that thread. It was nothing new; some of us have been citing this year's Big Three: lack of experience, lack of height, lack of depth from before the season began. I believe it's obvious to everyone. What I was saying was that no one had mentioned the short bench in THIS thread. No horns to toot or be tooted. Absent the depth problem, UConn has (so far) overcome the other two. Hope it continues, but no one can know in advance.

Reaction Score
While I agree that UConn has played well above the expectations of virtually everybody to this point, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves just yet. Don't get me wrong, this is a damn good basketball team and they deserve all the credit in the world playing the way they have so far, but there is a lot of season left. IMHO UConn has yet to play the two toughest games on their schedule in Maryland and South Carolina. So lets take it game by game and not upset the basketball gods.[/QUOT

Game by game is good. The basketball gods have smiled on Uconn, two opposing centers are injured or compromised in championship games, we score 12 points in a first -half final and still win. So I agree, it doesn't help to look beyond the next game. Good luck Huskies.

Reaction Score
I posted this elsewhere and it can apply here!

This edition of our Huskies has some talented young ladies but have no obvious leader(s) going in, but boy the guts & talent they've shown has been inspiring!
It is an example of how dedicated to their principals the Coaching Staff is, as nothing changes in practice or games. They recruit top athletes that are even better human beings and drive them mercilessly to be as good as they can be, with no excuses offered or accepted!
At the beginning of each season my only hope for that season's team is to stay healthy from injuries and/or sickness and then let the chips fall where they may! I don't need a Championship to be proud of the program!
Having coached for 32 years, I watch the games in total amazement at what the Coaching staff does day-in-and-day out!
Assistant coaches change and even the new Assts fit right in and continue the quest for perfection!
This country may never see a more complete and driven program at ALL levels of competition professional or amateur than the UCONN WBB Team, under Geno & CD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom