Looking ahead | The Boneyard

Looking ahead

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A couple of things I wanna see. I dont want Evina to turn pro and leave. We need her leadership on this very young team which will be even younger and inexperienced next season . With Evina we can go along way with more confidence. I would like to see Griff and Liv get better at shooting from the outside. As a team we need to go up strong when we expect to be fouled around the basket especially on foul shots. Nika I love her game and attitude. Shes a great facilitator. She needs as we all know to score consistently. She could be a terrific addition to this great team. Anna has it all to be a great team mate. Hit some shots and dont be afraid to look for your shot and shoot the damm ball. Edwards got alot of great experience in the Tenn game. This will go a long way for her. She has the tools, now its just a matter of playing more and getting more games under her belt. Christyn and Evina showed clutch leadership in the Tenn game. They came up big. With the pressure and aphnosphe they shined. This will go a long way for them this season. Paige will be fine. She grew up during this game and her last shot was a dagger. Dont forget shes only a freshman. We grew alot during this game and it did alot for us under tuff conditions with very few games over the last month. Im looking forward to Georgetown to see how we've improved mentally with confidence. Then the mid term tests come Depaul Arkansas and South Carolina. With our guard play and a few more games under our belt we should be fine.

Reaction Score
I sure agree with this. Anna is the reason Anna is no longer starting. She starts because she can pass and knows the offense and can hit threes. When she does not shoot one of the the main reasons she started is gone. She passed up least 3 open 3s in the last game. Paige's shot didn't fall last game, not because she could not get open looks, she did. She wanted it a bit too badly and got tight. At the end when it counted she didn't think and just pulled the trigger. BAM. That is what we have been missing. Someone who wants the ball in her hands with the game on the line who can also hit the shot. Since Evina has taken the wrap off her leg she is moving well and is fluid. Big asset. I see today's game as a tune up game to get remaining bugs out - they still NEVER see the cutter who is often open when they are passing the ball around the outside. I look for Nika to show she can fill in for Paige if needed.

Reaction Score
If you look at how much Evina has improved since coming to UConn, and then add in the fact she spent most of it rehabbing her knee and has only played her 9th game in 2 seasons, another season learning and playing under the coaching staff and another (hopefully) full season would aid her development for sure and would probably enable her to have a better pro career. However, she probably will be a very high draft pick this year and with her knee injuries much like Morgan Tuck she probably has a shorter career ahead of her so maybe going pro as soon as she can would benefit her in that way. I for one hope she stays but I doubt it health wise.

Reaction Score
I sure agree with this. Anna is the reason Anna is no longer starting. She starts because she can pass and knows the offense and can hit threes. When she does not shoot one of the the main reasons she started is gone. She passed up least 3 open 3s in the last game. Paige's shot didn't fall last game, not because she could not get open looks, she did. She wanted it a bit too badly and got tight. At the end when it counted she didn't think and just pulled the trigger. BAM. That is what we have been missing. Someone who wants the ball in her hands with the game on the line who can also hit the shot. Since Evina has taken the wrap off her leg she is moving well and is fluid. Big asset. I see today's game as a tune up game to get remaining bugs out - they still NEVER see the cutter who is often open when they are passing the ball around the outside. I look for Nika to show she can fill in for Paige if needed.
Rewatched the TN game and saw a different perspective on Paige's shots. While she had missed a few early, once TN put a taller player on her, Paige's shooting angle changed and she missed every shot until the big one at the end. Don't see this as a long term issue since I expect she can adjust as well as Geno giving her more picks and motion. See this more as a good coaching move by TN than Paige just missing shots.

Reaction Score
Liv and Aubrey will get better at their outside shot. With Aubrey, she has taken the first step which is the confidence to shoot it without getting yanked out of the game. Liv has already taken some and hit them. Others will try and defend us the same way. Evina has looked more confident in her outside shooting lately and she has learned we need that from her. Paige needs to get her ankle better. This gives Nika a game to shine a little we all hope she does. Anna must shoot when she drove to the hoop and got her shot blocked by Ten's big I was like OMG she will never try and penetrate again. A couple of games Geno sat Anna and then she came back the next game and took a bunch of three's and made some and Geno rewarded her by never taking her out for the rest of the game. Geno finds ways to get his point across. Thas why he is such a good teacher and motivator.

Reaction Score
Good thoughts, Tony. You are on target.

I am a big fan of Evina. Having watched her play on TV at Tenn, she sure is playing a lot better here at UConn. Oh, what a difference a day makes.

The talent available this year and next is fantastic. I also would like to see Evina stay for two and I think this would also be to her benefit in honing her skills for the next level.

With Paige sitting on the bench and healing, I would like to see Nika start. But, Geno knows a whole lot better than me. If Saylor becomes available, I also would like to see her play.

For the first time in many years, with the bench as solid as it is, is enjoyable watching the young players go in and out. Lot's of choices. Geno has a good problem. Now all he needs is a good "shooting" Team.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Good thoughts, Tony. You are on target.

I am a big fan of Evina. Having watched her play on TV at Tenn, she sure is playing a lot better here at UConn. Oh, what a difference a day makes.

The talent available this year and next is fantastic. I also would like to see Evina stay for two and I think this would also be to her benefit in honing her skills for the next level.

With Paige sitting on the bench and healing, I would like to see Nika start. But, Geno knows a whole lot better than me. If Saylor becomes available, I also would like to see her play.

For the first time in many years, with the bench as solid as it is, is enjoyable watching the young players go in and out. Lot's of choices. Geno has a good problem. Now all he needs is a good "shooting" Team.
Good stuff veryolddog, I too hope for Evina in for 2. If she does leave it appears Azzi is a lock for her spot. If things stay as we think Azzi would be a shooting upgrade the question is does what Azzi brings to the team match what E brings in leadership and stability? It appears we will have a very deep guard corps with NM, CD, and SP not forgetting Autumn all who can play at least 1 or 2. Enjoy the game today. Just remember you're not getting older you're getting longer. I have no idea what it means, but sounds better than old.

Reaction Score
Anna has become a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. She has the capability to be one of the best three point shooters on this team, yet refuses to shoot. However, I was very puzzled to see her eagerly ready for the ball just before Paige made her big shot. This doesn’t make sense to me as you would expect her to be reluctant in that situation. I just don’t understand it. I hope one of the coaches can talk to her and perhaps help her to get over whatever is holding her back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom