Looking ahead - UConn vs Toronto Metropolitan preview | The Boneyard

Looking ahead - UConn vs Toronto Metropolitan preview

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Nice read. Very complimentary to our Huskies.

Question: is the result of this game part of our NCAA season record or is it considered an in-season exhibition game?

Reaction Score

Question: is the result of this game part of our NCAA season record or is it considered an in-season exhibition game?

Think it has to be considered an exhibition. Not sure how one would factor a program in a league like USports. Can't imagine there's a NET formula that could take the record of TMU as part of the equation. And if they did, oooooh boy it wouldn't be good when you look at the teams TMU has faced this season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Think it has to be considered an exhibition. Not sure how one would factor a program in a league like USports. Can't imagine there's a NET formula that could take the record of TMU as part of the equation. And if they did, oooooh boy it wouldn't be good when you look at the teams TMU has faced this season.
The TMU game won’t count in the NET calculation, per Geno

Reaction Score
The TMU game won’t count in the NET calculation, per Geno
But that's the point. How can this be considered anything but an exhibition game because of that alone? It wouldn't be fair in my mind if this game did count towards NET or any other formulas used to determine NCAA tournament seedings.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
But that's the point. How can this be considered anything but an exhibition game because of that alone? It wouldn't be fair in my mind if this game did count towards NET or any other formulas used to determine NCAA tournament seedings.
It counts as far as player statistics and win-loss record, unlike an exhibition

Reaction Score

Geno said in the pregame interview ( from Friday ), that the game would be part of UCONN's Season's
record,... but not included in the Huskies " NET" rating.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Criteria for inclusion in NET calculation are different from criteria for inclusion in official NCAA stats and team records. NET excludes games vs. all non-D1 opponents, for example, while team records and stats include games vs. D2, D3, NAIA, etc.

I'm attaching the NCAA definition of "countable opponents" for purposes of NCAA statistics. Specifically regarding our neighbors to the north:

o If the institution is located in Canada, it must satisfy one of the following:​
> Is a member of the Universities Canada​
> Is a member of the Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association​
> Is a member of U Sports​

Attachments

• CountOppDefinition.pdf
    117.5 KB · Views: 71
Reaction Score
If you go to the Bold website and look at their schedule, it says exhibition against UConn.

Reaction Score
Criteria for inclusion in NET calculation are different from criteria for inclusion in official NCAA stats and team records. NET excludes games vs. all non-D1 opponents, for example, while team records and stats include games vs. D2, D3, NAIA, etc.

I'm attaching the NCAA definition of "countable opponents" for purposes of NCAA statistics. Specifically regarding our neighbors to the north:

o If the institution is located in Canada, it must satisfy one of the following:​
> Is a member of the Universities Canada​
> Is a member of the Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association​
> Is a member of U Sports​
Thanks!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Will there be any way to watch it without actually going north?

Reaction Score
Great to get this article but would be helpful to have some info regarding how to benchmark TMU. Do they play other US teams, etc? Geno does not get enough credit for this support of his players - i.e. Croatian trip, Nika's game against sister's team, etc. I would guess other coaches do some of this but not to the extent that UConn does.

Reaction Score
Great to get this article but would be helpful to have some info regarding how to benchmark TMU. Do they play other US teams, etc? Geno does not get enough credit for this support of his players - i.e. Croatian trip, Nika's game against sister's team, etc. I would guess other coaches do some of this but not to the extent that UConn does.

From what I know, TMU are one of the better teams in Canada this season, but it's hard to gauge them at this point. They're considered 10th best in the country if memory serves correct. Don't believe they've played US teams this season.

Had this been their national championship team a couple seasons ago, I'd be more optimistic about it being competitive. The depth of the team this season isn't as experienced.

Reaction Score
If you go to the Bold website and look at their schedule, it says exhibition against UConn.
So... could it be that METROPOLITAN, for some reason, cannot call this game anything
but an "exhibition", and the "rules" south of the border say something different?? ANYHOW
it is there as a Senior "present" to Aaliyah for being her outstanding self! Oh, Canada ( National
Anthem ).

Reaction Score
So... could it be that METROPOLITAN, for some reason, cannot call this game anything
but an "exhibition", and the "rules" south of the border say something different?? ANYHOW
it is there as a Senior "present" to Aaliyah for being her outstanding self! Oh, Canada ( National
Anthem ).
I don’t know. That’s why I asked.

Reaction Score

Games against US D2 and D3 teams also do not count in the NET. However, like this game, they are often official games, and not just exhibitions.

Reaction Score
Anthem ).

The NCAA allows one team to treat a game as an official game while the other team treats it as an exhibition. It happens frequently when a D1 team takes on a D2/D3 team. I don’t know for sure, but I expect that UConn will treat this as an official game. It is irrelevant to the NET what they call it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom