Looking ahead to next year | The Boneyard

Looking ahead to next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Is there anyone who will be able to compete with Connecticut next year? Barring injuries/out of body performances (like Louisville vs. Baylor) I don't see anyone being able to compete with UCONN. They'll have 3 All-American favorites next year (Dolson/KML/Stewart), more stability at the guard spots with a healthy Hartley, a healthy Banks and an improved Jefferson, and a quality backup post in Tuck.

All of the top teams this were were either crushed by UCONN (Stanford/Duke), or lose significant contributors (Baylor/Notre Dame.) Notre Dame will still be strong with Loyd/McBride/Ochonwa plus they get in Reimer, but I think the loss of Diggins will be much more significant to ND next year than losing Peters/Novosel was this year. Duke also brings in a great class and was young this year, but they've proven that they can't get to the final four even with a roster filled with talent, plus they have been throttled by UCONN year in year out the last several meetings between the 2. I know no one wants to overestimate, but do you see any teams next year being able to actually give UCONN a good game?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I would be surprised if Uconn was seriously challenged next season unless there was bad luck with injuries. The talent level and experience is going to be frightening.

I have always thought 2014 was going to be an NC year for uconn and that 2013 was gravy if it happened. Winning it all in 2013 only makes me more confident in that prediction, especially with Stewie and KML leading the way.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I heartily agree, but am still cracking up - the plane has not left NOLA yet with the team and the trophy, and we're already thinking about Nashville next year.I am sure many others are thinking the same as you two....

Reaction Score
UConn will have two out of the top four players in the country (in no particular order Stewart, KML, Chiney, Sims). And I think the stability at guard will be huge. No question that was a big part of the team's not performing up to capabilities at various times during the season.

Next year we will be very, very strong from 1 to 8. We have run into a depth problem in years past when there was a big dropoff in quality after the starters. That will not be the case next year. We will have eight players that would start for all but one or two other teams. Assuming Kiah starts giving the coaches what they want in practice, depth will be a huge plus and should allow us to sustain at least one significant injury without a huge impact.

I think Duke will be the best of the rest--and we will play them on the road--but they never seem to play well against us. ND will be a top five team but unless McBride or Loyd can play like a true point guard, and I doubt they will, ND will drop off some.

Next two seasons are just shaping up really well.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Rutgers will be alot stronger next year, although I don't believe they will beat UConn, but I believe we'll be pretty competitive.

We only graduated 3 seniors this year, who all were injured at one point during the season. But we return everyone else, and add Tyler Scaife, and Alexis Burke(Illi transfer), and also Canty will be back after knee surgery.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Maryland should get a bunch of very good players back from injury (and injuries that happened very early so recovery should be well advanced.)
UNC has their monster class, but suspect coaching and they will be very young.
Duke should be very good again
ND will miss SD but have solid players
TN really surprised this year
Louisville gets some players back
And Uconn will really miss Kelly and CD in terms of chemistry as much as production.
Sure I missed a few. But there is a lot more talent out there than even five years ago, so I doubt there will be a cake walk.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Make that four potential All Americans, if Bria has both legs working properly. And then there are Tuck and Banks. Sheesh! If everyone stays healthy it will be one helluva season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom