Looking ahead: the Oregon schools | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looking ahead: the Oregon schools

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
why has her recruiting fallen off?

Umm....5 McDonald's All Americans in the last 2 classes. Everyone should fall off in recruiting so badly.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Neighbors picked the perfect time to leave town for his "dream job." It will be interesting to see if he can be a top-notch recruiter at Arkansas, since his success at UW was overwhelmingly attained with McGuff's recruits.

His last class at UW showed some potential, but they lost the best one (Aarion McDonald) to transfer after the season, and Gigi Garcia has ongoing health concerns. Overall his recruiting was pretty lackluster after his hiring. I think he got just plain lucky having two players in Plum and Osahor that WAY overachieved relative to their recruiting rankings. I'll be pretty surprised if his recruiting is up to the standards of other SEC schools.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Umm....5 McDonald's All Americans in the last 2 classes. Everyone should fall off in recruiting so badly.
Actually, I should have qualified that a bit. You are correct, however 2 are incoming freshman, 1 was a freshman last year and injured for 22 games including the last 11. The other 2 were freshman off the bench. In looking at her last 4 years and knowing her full Resume, her teams were a bit devoid of stellar talent, the elder Samuelson sisters not withstanding. In even watching last years team, they seem under-talented compared to the other top schools. Tara seemed to have to use her top notch X's and O's to win. Both UCLA and Oregon look athletically more talented by the eye. Now with a healthy Wilson and the highly rated Williams a s Dodson, she could be ok. Still seems a bit behind The Ducks and Bruins IMHO.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Since they ran out of Ogwumike sisters they haven't had a truly elite player. Plenty of quality players still. They've remained plenty competitive as well. McCall wrapped up a solid career and McPhee made a huge jump from soph to Jr. year last season. They had a lull quite a few years ago, other than Nicole Powell they didn't have elite talent. But she was immediately followed by Candice Wiggins and a seemingly endless string of quality bigs. They might be in a bit of a lull again since Chiney graduated, but most schools would be more than happy w/ winning 25-3o games and still competing for Final 4's being considered a bit of a downturn.

I think they are in good shape this season. Johnson/Smith/McPhee/Sniezek is a solid veteran core and I figure several of the Fr./Soph players will be ready to contribute.

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
Yes. Oregon got a high profile transfer from Notre Dame that is sitting out this season.

Apologies, Both OU and OSU picked up monster transfers this off season, but you are correct Slocum went to OSU.
The PAC12 has done well in the NCAA tournament the last few seasons, they look poised to continue that trend.
Equally fair assessment on OSU winning 3 straight PAC12 titles, and are they really a consistent contender for Final 4? The data suggests yes, as least the last 2 years, particularly if they weren't in UConn's bracket...

I still see Stanford as the face of PAC12, but the next few years will be telling. There is definitely winds of change blowing...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom