Looking ahead: the Oregon schools | The Boneyard

Looking ahead: the Oregon schools

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
With one month and one day before the season starts, I thought it might be fun to take stock of what we might expect from some other teams around the country.

Oregon and Oregon State are facing very different challenges this year:

Ducks excited for season after tourney run

Coach Kelly Graves returns all five starters from last year's surprise Elite Eight team. Look for the Ducks to be in the mix for the Pac-12 title hunt this year, along with UCLA and Stanford. In addition to NFOY Ionescu, the steady post play of Hebard, and the sharphooting of Bando, Graves brings in a few promising international recruits.

OSU women's basketball: Beavers excited for new challenge

Oregon State, meanwhile, is in rebuilding mode after losing Wiese, Hanson, and Orum to graduation, and Breanna Brown to graduate transfer. Their key returning players are Pivec and Gulich. Coach Scott Rueck does have a couple of strong recruits and a junior college transfer to provide reinforcements, which will be needed if the Beavers are to rise above the middle of the Pac-12 pack.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Plenty of reason for high expectations for the Ducks, but they have A LOT to prove in my mind. Last year they finished w/ a sub .500 record in conference and lost 14 games total. They have a long way to go to be an elite team. Having a good run in March isn't the same as being consistently good starting in November.

I think the Beavers are going to be overlooked by many this year, but they should still be solid in spite of losing several key players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the Ducks and Beavers are trending in different directions. Both have good coaches, but OSU lost a lot of talent over the past 2 years. Oregon, in contrast, was young and should improve. I expect OSU to be respectable, but perhaps not ranked.

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
I think Oregon will continue to build on last years trend. They lost a lot of games upfront as they integrated the freshman into collegiate level play. They ended on a monster note, and I don't think it was a fluke. Next year, when Slocum is available, they should be in position to overtake Stanford for PAC-12 leadership...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Oregon will continue to build on last years trend. They lost a lot of games upfront as they integrated the freshman into collegiate level play. They ended on a monster note, and I don't think it was a fluke. Next year, when Slocum is available, they should be in position to overtake Stanford for PAC-12 leadership...
Slocum transferred to OSU, not Oregon--right?

Reaction Score

Slocum transferred to Oregon State not Oregon.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
We shall see. Players like Pivec from last year and Corosdale this year are rated higher than Weisner or Wiese were. Another Fr. this year Goodman is probably rated similarly to Weisner/Wiese. Hamblin was probably a 1 star coming out of HS if anyone bothered to rate her at all. All this talent OSU has lost the last 2 years wasn't considered to be very talented by scouts at one point. Did Rueck get extremely lucky, or does he have a shrewd eye for evaluating talent and also have the ability to develop that talent better than many of his peers? I'd go w/ the latter. I do think they'll take a slight step backward this year (but they've won the conference 3 straight years and have a combined 90 wins during that timeframe--not that easy to maintain that level), but looking forward they're not going anywhere. They'll have Destiny Slocum available in '18-'19, an Australian PG that has fared well in international competition, and add a ton of size. Rueck has really excelled at developing post players during his tenure in Corvallis.

Graves is also a very good coach and certainly Oregon is a program on the rise, but that does not at all mean that OSU is going to start fading.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I know I've said this one way or another before, but man, these two coaches, these two teams just give me goosebumps watching them play. After Geno and Doug Bruno my two favorite coaches in WCBB. Doing stuff the right way, building a solid culture feels so rewarding and so good for WCBB; and in the most exciting conference in WCBB.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
For Pac12 Previews I usually enjoy Bob Kinders(BobK) reports. Bob does them for the Stanford Fast Break Club. He is also a regular on The Cardboard(the free Stanford forum) Here is his review for OSU.

Pac 12 Preview: Oregon State

Updates: ASU has a commitment from 5 star 6-1 JC Guard Iris Junio, originally from Spain. Junio has not yet been accepted but if so will play for ASU when Pac 12 League play starts.
Washington has a 2018 commit. Haley Van Dyke a 6-0 Forward ranked # 95. Haley is from the East Bay, Campolindo HS.

Last Season: 31-5, 16-2 Pac 12 Champions and a Sweet 16 team. It’s the 3nd straight Pac 12 Championship for the Beavers.

The Coaches:
Scott Rueck is in his 8th year and has been an outstanding coach, turning the then lowly Beavers into a Final 4 team.
James Chatterton is in his 4nd year.
Katie Baker is in her 2nd year, and she works with the post players. Baker is a 2013 Graduate of the University of Montanan.
Brian Holsinger is in his 2nd season after 8 seasons at Washington State. Brian coaches guards.

Losses:
The great Sydney Wiese graduated. Last season Wiese averaged 15 points and 4.5 assists. Wiese made 103 threes at 43%.
Breanna Brown averaged 8 points and 6 rebounds.
Gabriella Hanson averaged 7 points and 4 rebounds
Kobie Orum averaged 7 points and 5 rebounds.
Tarea Green just played a few games

Additions:
Aleah Goodman is a 5-9 Frosh guard from the state of Oregon. Goodman was the three time Oregon Player of the Year and was ranked # 63.
Tara Corosdale is a 6-3 post player from Washington, ranked # 26 .

Joanna Grymek is a 6-8 Center from Poland. Joanna transferred from a JC where she played for 2 seasons. Last season she averaged 15 points, 9 rebounds and 3 blocked shots.

Destiny Slocum is a 5-7 Soph Guard from Idaho who played last season at Maryland. Slocum was a McD All American in HS and continued that by being the Big Ten Frosh of the year this past season. She will sit out this season, I believe.

The Schedule: The Beavers play Duke and Notre Dame but after that North Dakota may be their toughest non conference game. The Beavers play Stanford and Cal only at home and the Colorado and Utah only on the road.

The Team:
Mikayla Pivec is a 5-10 Soph Guard who averaged 8 points and 5 rebounds per game. Pivec was recruited heavily by Stanford and choose Oregon State. She was 4th in the State of Washington 800, 4th in the 1600 and won the State Javelin. An outstanding athlete, Pivec was the State of Washington Gatorade Women’s Basketball Player of the Year.

Katie McWilliams is a 6-2 Jr Guard who averaged 5 points last season but could have a break out season. Katie was ranked as high as # 40 nationally out of HS.

Marie Gulich is a 6-5 Sr Center from Germany who averaged 10 points and 8 rebounds last season.

Kat Tudor is a 6-0 Soph Guard and might the best three point shooter in the Pac 12. Kat made 371 Threes in HS at 43%. Last season Kat averaged 5 points while making 49 threes at 41%, in 13 minutes per game.

Madison Washington is a 6-1 Soph Forward who didn’t play much this past season.

Janessa Thropay is a 6-2 Soph Forward who also didn’t play much

Taylor Kalmer is a 5-8 Sr Guard who averaged 3 points in just 9 minutes per game last season.

Predictions: The Beavers return 4 very good players and have a fine recruiting class. However a huge loss in Wiese and three other very solid players. Of course a year ago we said big losses and then the Beavers win the Pac 12 regular season championship. It’s a question with Slocum, it appears from what I have read she can play immediately. If true then the Beavers will be young but very good.

2018 Recruiting:
Andrea Aquino, 6-8 Post from New Jersey ranked # 30
Patricia Morris, 6-5 Post 4 star from SoCal.
Jasmine Simmons, 5-9, a 4 star Guard from Australia.

Posted by Bob Kinderat 10/09/2017 06:43:00 AM

He has other Pac12 teams on his blog. linked below. He will finish all of the teams before the start of the season Stanford FBC: Inside the Pac-12

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting that. Slocum eligible immediately? I hadn't even heard a hint of a rumor of that before. One little note, pretty sure Kalmer is a Jr. not Sr. She's a player who could possibly step up this year.

Plebe

Reaction Score
For Pac12 Previews I usually enjoy Bob Kinders(BobK) reports. Bob does them for the Stanford Fast Break Club. He is also a regular on The Cardboard(the free Stanford forum) Here is his review for OSU.

Updates: ASU has a commitment from 5 star 6-1 JC Guard Iris Junio, originally from Spain. Junio has not yet been accepted but if so will play for ASU when Pac 12 League play starts.
Washington has a 2018 commit. Haley Van Dyke a 6-0 Forward ranked # 95. Haley is from the East Bay, Campolindo HS.

Last Season: 31-5, 16-2 Pac 12 Champions and a Sweet 16 team. It’s the 3nd straight Pac 12 Championship for the Beavers.

The Coaches:
Scott Rueck is in his 8th year and has been an outstanding coach, turning the then lowly Beavers into a Final 4 team.
James Chatterton is in his 4nd year.
Katie Baker is in her 2nd year, and she works with the post players. Baker is a 2013 Graduate of the University of Montanan.
Brian Holsinger is in his 2nd season after 8 seasons at Washington State. Brian coaches guards.

Losses:
The great Sydney Wiese graduated. Last season Wiese averaged 15 points and 4.5 assists. Wiese made 103 threes at 43%.
Breanna Brown averaged 8 points and 6 rebounds.
Gabriella Hanson averaged 7 points and 4 rebounds
Kobie Orum averaged 7 points and 5 rebounds.
Tarea Green just played a few games

Additions:
Aleah Goodman is a 5-9 Frosh guard from the state of Oregon. Goodman was the three time Oregon Player of the Year and was ranked # 63.
Tara Corosdale is a 6-3 post player from Washington, ranked # 26 .

Joanna Grymek is a 6-8 Center from Poland. Joanna transferred from a JC where she played for 2 seasons. Last season she averaged 15 points, 9 rebounds and 3 blocked shots.

Destiny Slocum is a 5-7 Soph Guard from Idaho who played last season at Maryland. Slocum was a McD All American in HS and continued that by being the Big Ten Frosh of the year this past season. She will sit out this season, I believe.

The Schedule: The Beavers play Duke and Notre Dame but after that North Dakota may be their toughest non conference game. The Beavers play Stanford and Cal only at home and the Colorado and Utah only on the road.

The Team:
Mikayla Pivec is a 5-10 Soph Guard who averaged 8 points and 5 rebounds per game. Pivec was recruited heavily by Stanford and choose Oregon State. She was 4th in the State of Washington 800, 4th in the 1600 and won the State Javelin. An outstanding athlete, Pivec was the State of Washington Gatorade Women’s Basketball Player of the Year.

Katie McWilliams is a 6-2 Jr Guard who averaged 5 points last season but could have a break out season. Katie was ranked as high as # 40 nationally out of HS.

Marie Gulich is a 6-5 Sr Center from Germany who averaged 10 points and 8 rebounds last season.

Kat Tudor is a 6-0 Soph Guard and might the best three point shooter in the Pac 12. Kat made 371 Threes in HS at 43%. Last season Kat averaged 5 points while making 49 threes at 41%, in 13 minutes per game.

Madison Washington is a 6-1 Soph Forward who didn’t play much this past season.

Janessa Thropay is a 6-2 Soph Forward who also didn’t play much

Taylor Kalmer is a 5-8 Sr Guard who averaged 3 points in just 9 minutes per game last season.

Predictions: The Beavers return 4 very good players and have a fine recruiting class. However a huge loss in Wiese and three other very solid players. Of course a year ago we said big losses and then the Beavers win the Pac 12 regular season championship. It’s a question with Slocum, it appears from what I have read she can play immediately. If true then the Beavers will be young but very good.

2018 Recruiting:
Andrea Aquino, 6-8 Post from New Jersey ranked # 30
Patricia Morris, 6-5 Post 4 star from SoCal.
Jasmine Simmons, 5-9, a 4 star Guard from Australia.

Posted by Bob Kinderat 10/09/2017 06:43:00 AM

He has other Pac12 teams on his blog. linked below. He will finish all of the teams before the start of the season Stanford FBC: Inside the Pac-12

Thanks for pointing out this guy's blog. His reviews of each team are extremely detailed. Great resource!

Right now these are my predicted pecking order for the Pac-12 this year. One big caveat is that this doesn't take into account the unbalanced schedule, which can cause the conference SOS to vary considerably from one team to another.
  1. UCLA
  2. Stanford
  3. Oregon
  4. Cal
  5. Oregon St
  6. Washington St
  7. Arizona St
  8. Utah
  9. Colorado
  10. USC
  11. Arizona
  12. Washington

Plebe

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting that. Slocum eligible immediately? I hadn't even heard a hint of a rumor of that before. One little note, pretty sure Kalmer is a Jr. not Sr. She's a player who could possibly step up this year.

That's also the first I've heard of that. The article from the Gazette-Times (linked above) specifically said she has to sit out a year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's painful to admit it Plebe, but I can't really think of anyone I would pick to finish behind UW. Unless the new coach is a miracle worker it's gonna be a tough season and a huge contrast to last year. Neighbors didn't leave a whole lot for the new staff to work with. And not that they would've been big difference makers but a pair of would be Sr. guards either left the program or retired medically--Brianna Ruiz and Kelli Kingma. At least they would've supplied some experience. Both were decent role players during the Final 4 season (although Ruiz got hurt just before the post season started). It's gonna be so weird seeing them take the floor w/ no Plum or Osahor this year.

I agree w/ your 1-3. 4-11 is really hard to pick. Nothing wrong w/ your order but I could easily see that working out very differently.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
It was very enjoyable seeing Oregon twice in Bridgeport. We handled them pretty easily but they outclassed a listless but highly ranked Maryland team. Sabrina Ionescu is magnificent, and it sounds like they are primed for a great season with everybody back plus some quality newcomers. Lots of size, and a great coach. Erin Boley will help next year.

Very easy team to root for. Unless they are playing UConn, of course.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It's painful to admit it Plebe, but I can't really think of anyone I would pick to finish behind UW. Unless the new coach is a miracle worker it's gonna be a tough season and a huge contrast to last year. Neighbors didn't leave a whole lot for the new staff to work with. And not that they would've been big difference makers but a pair of would be Sr. guards either left the program or retired medically--Brianna Ruiz and Kelli Kingma. At least they would've supplied some experience. Both were decent role players during the Final 4 season (although Ruiz got hurt just before the post season started). It's gonna be so weird seeing them take the floor w/ no Plum or Osahor this year.

I agree w/ your 1-3. 4-11 is really hard to pick. Nothing wrong w/ your order but I could easily see that working out very differently.

Neighbors picked the perfect time to leave town for his "dream job." It will be interesting to see if he can be a top-notch recruiter at Arkansas, since his success at UW was overwhelmingly attained with McGuff's recruits.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just a guess

1) UCLA
2) Stanford
3) Oregon
4) Oregon State
5) California
6) USC

the rest.... dont know.... dont really care..

It was very enjoyable seeing Oregon twice in Bridgeport. We handled them pretty easily but they outclassed a listless but highly ranked Maryland team. Sabrina Ionescu is magnificent, and it sounds like they are primed for a great season with everybody back plus some quality newcomers. Lots of size, and a great coach. Erin Boley will help next year.

Very easy team to root for.
Unless they are playing UConn, of course.

I wont root for them.

Plebe

Reaction Score
You think I'm one to hold grudges? :rolleyes:
Ha, before I answer that, I'll just say that I'd think you'd want Oregon to do well, just to show that Duke didn't lose to no chumps.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
After the ACC..... the Pac-12 was the conference I watched the most of last year. Having games on Friday are great ..... if you dont a date :oops::oops::(:(:(:confused::(:oops: and the late Sunday games are a great nightcap of a day full of WCBB. I'll be interested to see if a new coach make any difference with the real USC.

Ha, before I answer that, I'll just say that I'd think you'd want Oregon to do well, just to show that Duke didn't lose to no chumps.

Meh..... If they play UNC ... I'll be a Duck fan :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Meh..... If they play UNC ... I'll be a Duck fan :rolleyes:

1. I absolutely love the consistency you exhibit with UNC and am waiting for the next reason the NCAA accommodates Roy and Sylvia.
2. I like what the UCLA coach has done and think them and Oregon will be 1-2 in the standings. Tara lost a lot but always seems to over achieve (why has her recruiting fallen off?). I will watching our girl Courtney E at ASU with the hope she shines!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom