Looking Ahead: Not Exactly a Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
- K State 3 and 0

-K-State Womens Bball ‏@KStateWBB Nov 18
#KStateWBB is ranked 2nd nationally in blocked shots with an average of 11.5 bpg & Breanna Lewis is ranked 3rd with an average of 5.5 bpg!

-Kansas State women's basketball signs Canada's #1 recruit, Eternati Willock (Not a concern for this year)

-Jeff Mittie asks his players to take things one day at a time, so it should come as no surprise that he too tries to avoid focusing on the big picture.

But he couldn’t help himself when a reporter asked if the Kansas State women’s basketball team was capable of reaching the NCAA Tournament this season

“It’s definitely a possibility,” Mittie said.

-Louisville transfer Megan Deines should make an instant impact: Senior gained immediate eligibility, 6'1"
3-game average 16.3, shoots almost 87% on free throws, a great pick-up

-6'5" Junior Center Breanna Lewis is their leading scorer and will be a handful.

Definitely a program moving in the right direction

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
- K State 3 and 0

#KStateWBB is ranked 2nd nationally in blocked shots with an average of 11.5 bpg & Breanna Lewis is ranked 3rd with an average of 5.5 bpg!

-Kansas State women's basketball signs Canada's #1 recruit, Eternati Willock (Not a concern for this year)

-Jeff Mittie asks his players to take things one day at a time, so it should come as no surprise that he too tries to avoid focusing on the big picture.

But he couldn’t help himself when a reporter asked if the Kansas State women’s basketball team was capable of reaching the NCAA Tournament this season

-Louisville transfer Megan Deines should make an instant impact: Senior gained immediate eligibility, 6'1"

-6'5" Junior Center Breanna Lewis is their leading scorer and will be a handful.

Thanks for the backgrounder - I'm looking forward to this game more now. Didn't know much about them.

It will be interesting to see how Geno game-plans for B. Lewis & Co. Wonder if he uses that zone again, like he did for big stretches against OSU? Looked like a 3-2 in the first half but IIRC there was also a 2-3 set in place at one point. I'd have to go back and look.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks for the backgrounder - I'm looking forward to this game more now. Didn't know much about them.

It will be interesting to see how Geno game-plans for B. Lewis & Co. Wonder if he uses that zone again, like he did for big stretches against OSU? Looked like a 3-2 in the first half but IIRC there was also a 2-3 set in place at one point. I'd have to go back and look.
It was mostly a 3-2 zone but brilliantly disguised by:1) Gabby switching sides up top 2) Kia & Moriah alternating in the top middle 3) Extending the defense into a 1-2-2 press. 4) When Gabby got in foul trouble KLS came in and for at least one possession rotated from to the bottom of the Zone with Morgan going to the top 5) When Collier came in for Morgan she at least one time rotated with KLS from top to bottom this time.
Just brilliant! The net effect was every time tOSU looked up they though they were looking at a different defense & and in a sense they really were.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'll climb even further out on that limb. K State is a patsy and will lose by 40. They are ranked #62 by Massey and #60 by Sagarin. If the MOV is less than 40 it's because Auriemma wants it that way.

The individual player stats cited by the OP are distorted by the competition they have faced. The team is 3-0 with wins over #139 Tulsa, #267 Abilene Christian and #159 South Dakota. NCAA ranking stats are also meaningless so early in the season because there are too, two, to (just covering the bases here) few data points to accurately define a team's abilities. For example, UConn is ranked 99th in scoring defense, 92nd in assists, and 77th in A/TO ratio. Anyone here think those numbers are a good indication of this team?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
UCONN has seen height before. Ask Texas how that turned out.

Height itself is not a game changer. How the height is used and the skill level of that player come into play.

Geno has planty of time to prepare for K State. UCONN is focused and understands what needs to be done. It may be close for 5 to 8 minutes then watch out. UCONN will figure out K State and then do their thing.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'll climb even further out on that limb. K State is a patsy and will lose by 40. They are ranked #62 by Massey and #60 by Sagarin. If the MOV is less than 40 it's because Auriemma wants it that way.

The individual player stats cited by the OP are distorted by the competition they have faced. The team is 3-0 with wins over #139 Tulsa, #267 Abilene Christian and #159 South Dakota. NCAA ranking stats are also meaningless so early in the season because there are too, two, to (just covering the bases here) few data points to accurately define a team's abilities. For example, UConn is ranked 99th in scoring defense, 92nd in assists, and 77th in A/TO ratio. Anyone here think those numbers are a good indication of this team?
But then the Massey and Sagarin numbers you are using are based on too few data points as well - nothing really is useful this early in the season beyond eye test and actual results. But agree that the competition KS has beaten is not very impressive

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm not saying they're world-beaters, just an ambitious mid-level team that is doing whatever it can to improve
Megan Deines had her best scoring games for Louisville as a freshman, was certainly a threat then...injuries since?

Perhaps virtually almost all team will be powder-puffs this season

I just think they will come in and give us a semblance of a game (at least for a while).

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I feel like the eye test is becoming more and more important in WCBB. I suppose if your "eye" for the game sucks then you are just completely useless but I think it does have some value. I think I made this complaint last year when people thought the UConn/SCar game would be close. If you had actually watched both teams play you would've known that wasn't gonna happen. From what I've seen of the "top" teams that I have watched (UConn, SCar, TN) so far there is still a big gap. I will admit it is very early in the season and there just isn't enough film to say for sure that UConn is definitely at least 20 points better than every other team. The problem is that if UConn looks the best at the beginning of the season it is unlikely anyone is gonna look better at than them at the end of the season. The natural progression of a UConn season would lead you to believe that if UConn keeps getting better that gap will just get wider.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I just noted in the other thread that KState had to go to OT to put away South Dakota yesterday - yeah, they're a patsy.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The problem is that if UConn looks the best at the beginning of the season it is unlikely anyone is gonna look better at than them at the end of the season.
True dat! True dat!
From the Urban Dictionary:
2) Used to agree with another.

Reaction Score
[Q
I just noted in the other thread that KState had to go to OT to put away South Dakota yesterday - yeah, they're a patsy.
Patsy = loses by 50+ points. Semi-patsy = loses by 40+ points. I wonder which one of these KState is.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I don't feel comfortable seeing exultant pride and unshakable confidence morph into ridicule, as manifested by terms like "patsy" and "cupcake." We are ardent fans of a team that is a juggernaut (to use just one of many superlatives available).

And our wonderful team is scheduled to play a less-talented one, whose players are presumably prepared to play their very best to represent their school -- not to mention families and friends.

Even a (potential) blowout deserves a little dignified discourse.

And maybe just a tad of carefully calibrated humor. :D

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don't feel comfortable seeing exultant pride and unshakable confidence morph into ridicule.

Kib

It was not my intention to be in any sense degrading in my slight preview of the K State team.
My "quicky" research actually gave some insight into the attempt by mid-level teams to improve themselves by better hiring, more effective coaching, acquisitions, and aggressive recruiting. And also in the sense of pride in their accomplishments and future potential. It was altogether charming and gave a good sense of the strength of the game in the hinterlands. Somehow Kansas has always seemed to me the true center of the country.

But I did fall into the trap of employing a catchy and denigrating headline so that the thread would be noticed, a approach not unknown in this day and age.

I also did not consider, nor prognosticate what the effect would be of the UConn juggernaut falling on them on Monday, though I will be there in person to observe the festivities.

I certainly have no fears for the outcome. But because I have developed some affection for this group, I will refrain from the 20-30-40-50 game

It would be nice if K State developed into a Dayton clone..The game needs more teams like that.

Reaction Score
I watched a good bit of this game, painful as it was to watch. Both teams are very weak fundamentally...passing, dribbling, boxing out, defending. Each team had a player who could make a perimeter shot when undefended, but these are not at all talented teams. If UConn can beat OSU by 44 they should beat KSU by 60...seriously!

Reaction Score

Make that winless South Dakota. Yes, I saw some of that game last night and was not
particularly impressed with K State.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
K State was once one of the top programs in the nation but fell back in recent times and hit rock bottom at 11-19 in 2013-14. They improved to 19-14 last year, bowing out of the NIT in the 2nd round. They shared one thing with UConn, a win over Texas, and they were rated among the top 75 teams, about even with St. John's and about 15 places behind AAC teams Temple and ECU as a comparative. So certainly not the worst opponent UConn will play by a long shot. They did however lose the #2 and #3 scorers from last year's team and the leading rebounder, so they have some rebuilding to do.

Reaction Score

As far as I'm concerned any rating over 25 is meaningless, maybe even over 15.

Reaction Score
- K State 3 and 0

Interesting that they picked up the Canadian girl. Never saw anything on her but the scouting blurb was full of potential. Thought we might steal another Kia.

Reaction Score
Should there be a Leticia Romero Freedom Celebration at halftime, or at least some type of armband?
Might be a few out here that are unaware of the Romero stint in captivity with the administration at KSU. Finally sufficient pressure was brought to the table and Romero got her release. Nice to see her prospering in her new home.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Interesting that they picked up the Canadian girl. Never saw anything on her but the scouting blurb was full of potential. Thought we might steal another Kia.

Surely unintentionally, you have set the stage for yet another "Geno Dropped the Ball" thread. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It was mostly a 3-2 zone but brilliantly disguised by:1) Gabby switching sides up top 2) Kia & Moriah alternating in the top middle 3) Extending the defense into a 1-2-2 press. 4) When Gabby got in foul trouble KLS came in and for at least one possession rotated from to the bottom of the Zone with Morgan going to the top 5) When Collier came in for Morgan she at least one time rotated with KLS from top to bottom this time.
Just brilliant! The net effect was every time tOSU looked up they though they were looking at a different defense & and in a sense they really were.

Whoa! All this defensive expertise- I finally figured you out. There isn't really any Coco, this is Rick Pitino incognito.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Eternati Willock was originally class of 2015 UNC commit which means she would have been in the same class as Boykin, KLS, & Collier. She is 6'2" and not at Kia level of ability because Kia is playing on the National Team and Willock has only reached U17 Canadian team.
Her mix tape from 2014 is below and yes that is Kia #11 featured throughout Willock mixtape before Kia got moved up to National team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom