Looking ahead at the new era of UConn men’s basketball | The Boneyard

Looking ahead at the new era of UConn men’s basketball

Reaction Score
Sorry if this was posted already or you guys have already read it. I am just happy that my news feed on this computer is finally giving me news not from 6 months ago.

Men's Basketball: Looking ahead at the new era of UConn men’s basketball

I do like the realistic assessment of Hurley having at least a winning season, getting past the first round of the AAC tournament, and pulling in big-time recruits. All realistic and attainable goals IMO.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Sorry if this was posted already or you guys have already read it. I am just happy that my news feed on this computer is finally giving me news not from 6 months ago.

Men's Basketball: Looking ahead at the new era of UConn men’s basketball

I do like the realistic assessment of Hurley having at least a winning season, getting past the first round of the AAC tournament, and pulling in big-time recruits. All realistic and attainable goals IMO.
Win half of our big time OOC and 20 wins are attainable if everyone comes back and we’re healthy

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Great reading if you're interested in how the Managing Editor of The Daily Campus assesses the near term future with zero mention of Gilbert, Wilson, Cobb, Williams, or three new coaches.

Reaction Score
Great reading if you're interested in how the Managing Editor of The Daily Campus assesses the near term future with zero mention of Gilbert, Wilson, Cobb, Williams, or three new coaches.
and a bunch of incorrect or misleading facts...

Reaction Score
Win half of our big time OOC and 20 wins are attainable if everyone comes back and we’re healthy
Did we ask for that last year after we gathered ourselves post exodus? Just a question not a fire alarm.

Reaction Score
Did we ask for that last year after we gathered ourselves post exodus? Just a question not a fire alarm.
Yes we did. But Hurley was not the coach. I think ( perhaps wishfull thinking) he will get more out of these guys than Ollie did. I wonder if Ollie remained coach if there would have been a mass exodus this year?

Reaction Score
and a bunch of incorrect or misleading facts...
Just a kid fantasizing being a sports journalist. They publish this paper every day? That's a lot of work for kids carrying a full course load. Or does working on this paper count towards a degree? Just curious.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There was nothing wrong with what the kid wrote.

She managed to get a newspaper out, write a column and, I imagine, study and take her finals and pack up her dorm room for the end of the semester.

I’m guessing that’s more productivity than any of you bastards can muster in a given decade, but all right.

Reaction Score
Yes we did. But Hurley was not the coach. I think ( perhaps wishfull thinking) he will get more out of these guys than Ollie did. I wonder if Ollie remained coach if there would have been a mass exodus this year?
That’s a moot point but an interesting speculation .
I think the team was aware of Ollie likely departure the day after the SMU win and that may of effected the effort and changed a few results as well as minds.
I’m going to say TL ,Cobb, and Williams for sure
I’m more interested in who returns. For instance of the four guys we lost the year before Jackson’s hurt this years team the most. Because we had so much redundancy on last years team some guys leaving impact us more than others.
If JA, CV,Gilbert , Wilson , Polley , Carlton, Diarra and maybe even Whaley returned along with the recruits next years team would have been pretty good.

Reaction Score
That’s a moot point but an interesting speculation .
I think the team was aware of Ollie likely departure the day after the SMU win and that may of effected the effort and changed a few results as well as minds.
I’m going to say TL ,Cobb, and Williams for sure
I’m more interested in who returns. For instance of the four guys we lost the year before Jackson’s hurt this years team the most. Because we had so much redundancy on last years team some guys leaving impact us more than others.
If JA, CV,Gilbert , Wilson , Polley , Carlton, Diarra and maybe even Whaley returned along with the recruits next years team would have been pretty good.
Except you would have still had KO and staff coaching.... no offense, no perimeter defense, no boxing out, no hustle , no discipline.... you get the picture.

Reaction Score
If JA, CV,Gilbert , Wilson , Polley , Carlton, Diarra and maybe even Whaley returned along with the recruits next years team would have been pretty good.[/QUOTE]

'would have been' ??

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Those goals are way too low. The AAC is looking at a down year, on paper we may be the best team and coaching will obviously be improved. Winning the conference should be our goal.

Reaction Score
There was nothing wrong with what the kid wrote.

She managed to get a newspaper out, write a column and, I imagine, study and take her finals and pack up her dorm room for the end of the semester.

I’m guessing that’s more productivity than any of you bastards can muster in a given decade, but all right.

#TRUTHBOMB

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
On what paper is that?
I'm interested in reading this paper...
You guys are so negative. We have 4 guards on our roster who averaged 12 points or more last year including arguably the best player in the conference, a years worth of experience for our young front court and have greatly improved our coaching situation. We are going to be in the tournament next year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We are going to be in the tournament next year.

I think we have a shot if this team develops some chemistry. Best team on paper? I think someone doesn't want the new coach to overachieve.

Reaction Score
You guys are so negative. We have 4 guards on our roster who averaged 12 points or more last year including arguably the best player in the conference, a years worth of experience for our young front court and have greatly improved our coaching situation. We are going to be in the tournament next year.

I'm not trying to be negative, I just don't think we are the best team.

Reaction Score
I think this Uconn team could be a good, even dangerous team come next March. If everything falls right they could be a 8-10 seeded team that could put a scare into a 1 or 2 seed in the second round (or beat a 16 if they have Virginia in the same bracket, ha). Any way, that is the best case scenario IMO. The realistic goal should be 20 wins, 1 win in the AACT and 2 in the NIT for year 1. I think I have stated the same in the past. Anything else is just gravy, like making the NCAAs an an 8 to 10.

Reaction Score
The American is going to be terrible.

Now I don't agree that the entire conference will be terrible.

Arguably, Cincy isn't gonna be as dominate as last year but Cronin's boys can play.

Houston probably won't be Top 25 good but they will still perform and Nate Hinton looks pretty solid.

I think Wichita State will take the biggest drop while they continue to adjust but they should be sitting at the top of the conference as well.

Then you have the sleeping giants in Tulsa, Memphis, and UCF...Tulsa keeps finding ways to stay competitive, Memphis has a top crop of young talent coming in, and a healthy UCF with Tako could be great to watch.

Temple and SMU can surprise if they play like 2-3 years ago.

ECU and USF...well, they are football/baseball schools right?

I'm thinking we finish somewhere between 2nd and 5th....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom