Look Toward Yale and Penn State | The Boneyard

Look Toward Yale and Penn State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When UConn starts to design there new on campus arena, they should just drive down to Ingalls Rink at Yale. A classic college hockey arena without a bad seat in the house and a tremendous atmosphere. In addition, watching the support an underwhelming Penn State hockey has as a first year team in the Big Tenn is great and what UConn needs to strive for. With the struggles UConn will have on the ice going into Hockey East, the great student and fan support Penn State shows for a bottom of the league team is an example of what UConn needs to grow the sport. Will it happen? I have my doubts unfortunately.

Reaction Score
If they market the program right..and make it affordable for parents to take their kids...they should be able to tap in to the youth hockey crowd. The key with this program is to market it the right way.

Reaction Score
Is there indeed a full new arena being planned, or just a renovation of Freitas?

Reaction Score
Is there indeed a full new arena being planned, or just a renovation of Freitas?
I asked Daily Campus Sports editor Tim Fonteneault about rink plan via twitter...he responded that he has heard they are talking about putting the rink/hockey facility near X lot where the new student rec center is going. He also told me that this facility will be the next athletic facility built since it is a requirement for membership in HE.

Reaction Score
They Definitely Need A New Arena Award
To Freitas Ice Forum, Connecticut. The Huskies join Hockey East in 2014-15 and it’s hard to imagine their tiny on-campus venue will be a suitable host. My high school hockey venue was nicer. Granted, UConn will play Hockey East games at the XL Center in downtown Hartford, but the beauty of college hockey is the on-campus experience, plus Hartford is more 30 minutes away from campus by car.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2013/09/04/com...ip-to-13-college-hockey-arenas/#ixzz2tROJvfHE

Reaction Score
I guess I am just hoping they build something with some old school college hockey atmosphere. Not the staleness of new arenas. I went to the Providence game and although its new it considerably lacks the kind of college hockey atmosphere that places like Yale or Cornell have.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
When UConn starts to design there new on campus arena, they should just drive down to Ingalls Rink at Yale. A classic college hockey arena without a bad seat in the house and a tremendous atmosphere. In addition, watching the support an underwhelming Penn State hockey has as a first year team in the Big Tenn is great and what UConn needs to strive for. With the struggles UConn will have on the ice going into Hockey East, the great student and fan support Penn State shows for a bottom of the league team is an example of what UConn needs to grow the sport. Will it happen? I have my doubts unfortunately.

The Pegula Rink at Penn State cost a cool $100M once you add the support facilities. Needs to happen but I'm skeptical UConn has that to spend on a hockey rink with athletic revenue under threat by CR. I'd think something along the lines of RPI's field house or a larger version of Princeton's rink. Fairly utilitarian, with support services provided elsewhere (think Burton or BB's Champions Center.)

My dream would be a miniature Chicago Stadium with an overhanging mezzanine. Making it loud should be priority one to create a lively building.

Reaction Score
I guess I am just hoping they build something with some old school college hockey atmosphere. Not the staleness of new arenas. I went to the Providence game and although its new it considerably lacks the kind of college hockey atmosphere that places like Yale or Cornell have.

Schneider Rink isn't new, but they did just finish a significant expansion/upgrade of what had been a pretty basic hockey building that was past its time.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'm putting in a plug for Quinnipiac's arena. It would also be great if they could add a configuration to "hide" seats for the women's games so it would look more full for a few hundred fans.

TDBNSC-Ice-Hockey-2009.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger