Look at this boxscore | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Look at this boxscore

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Without crying. Huskies had 22 more shots from the field. Outrebounded Maryland by 11. 18 on the offensive end. 5-12 from the FT line. 32% from the field, 30% from three. Just a horrendous offensive performance. Yes, Maryland played great defense. But 54 points?

Disappointing performance after a 5 year wait to get back. Head bang

Looking at the official boxscore is worse we had 22 ORBs and only 11 second chance points. Our first scoring possession which ended in a RJ 3 we had 5 or 6 ORBs alone!!

Reaction Score
The missed layups/lack of fouls called in the first half were the story of the game.

But they were deer in the headlights for the majority of that game. It’s weird that they played their worst basketball of the season in the biggest game, and how that always seems to happen with Hurley’s teams. Their half court offense in the second half was truly horrendous.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The good news is that we had great effort today—no doubt about that.

Unfortunately this team has lacked the clutch gene all year long. All year we would clench our cheeks when things got tight at end of games. Not sure if the clutch gene can be learned or not. Maybe we can lock the returning players in the gym for the summer with Kemba and Shabazz and see if they can rub off on them.
That's what hurt the most, IMHO. Shots weren't falling but the guys busted ass to get within 5, with a chance to make it a one possession game.

Any other year, you think we can close out the comeback. Not this time. Bonehead lane violation, dumb turnover, missed FTs. Hope dashed.

Book might be a better talent than Bazz, but I think Bazz would've found a way

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Where was the nash drill when ya need it. I know Ollie isn’t as respected as he once was, but that drill was largely responsible for that championship.

Reaction Score
What the box score says:
  • Cole and Martin were atrocious around the rim
  • We were never able to take advantage of Sanogo's size advantage on offense, as I pretty much expected
  • Not enough from Bouknight, especially choked at the line
  • Andre Jackson a complete non-factor despite what everyone expected
  • Nice game for Gaffney
That basically sums it up! Even with that, we are down 6 late in the game. Hit just 70% of our free throws and it’s a different game.

Reaction Score
That's what hurt the most, IMHO. Shots weren't falling but the guys busted ass to get within 5, with a chance to make it a one possession game.

Any other year, you think we can close out the comeback. Not this time. Bonehead lane violation, dumb turnover, missed FTs. Hope dashed.

Book might be a better talent than Bazz, but I think Bazz would've found a way
Give me that Bazz and Boat or Bazz/Kemba backcourt! Great handle, could finish, hit 3’s, make free throws. None of them were big or tall, but I don’t remember them getting backed down into the paint either.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Without crying. Huskies had 22 more shots from the field. Outrebounded Maryland by 11. 18 on the offensive end. 5-12 from the FT line. 32% from the field, 30% from three. Just a horrendous offensive performance. Yes, Maryland played great defense. But 54 points?

Disappointing performance after a 5 year wait to get back. Head bang

Add to that Maryland played over their heads shooting 50% from 3. We really should have won this game. Just had a horrible night shooting and they had a great night shooting. Still had a 5 point game late because we rebounded so well.

Reaction Score
Add to that Maryland played over their heads shooting 50% from 3. We really should have won this game. Just had a horrible night shooting and they had a great night shooting. Still had a 5 point game late because we rebounded so well.
i thought we did very poor job closing out and playing the pick and roll. They got a lot of open looks because of this and they knocked them down. Kudos to them.

Reaction Score
i thought we did very poor job closing out and playing the pick and roll. They got a lot of open looks because of this and they knocked them down. Kudos to them.
Agree, UConn closed out with a heightened sense of urgency the last 5 minutes, much too late.
Bottom line this team never gained experience playing in big games and under pressure. Lack of games this year and last, plus not playing in front of hostile fans (just the pressure part, no factor in last night's game) factored into that. Uniquely tough time for the program to try and reverse course from the disaster of Ollie's final years.
A priority for next year should be playing in tournaments, scheduling tough games.

Reaction Score
We had no answer to the way they defensed Bouk.
No Bouk No supporting cast. No clutch play.
Gaff the only one who didn't choke.

Reaction Score
Division I fans need not be a$$clowns
Seems like the fan that is determining which fans are a$$clowns or not, might be the very definition of what your saying. As a fan, its o.k to have certain expectations of players and express them having civil discord.

Reaction Score
Seems like the fan that is determining which fans are a$$clowns or not, might be the very definition of what your saying. As a fan, its o.k to have certain expectations of players and express them having civil discord.
I apologize if you were offended by that. I should have chosen my words more carefully... Snowflake.

Reaction Score
I apologize if you were offended by that. I should have chosen my words more carefully... Snowflake.
Appreciate the apology. You're really good at calling people names. I guess that happens when you don't have anything productive to say. Also you missed the entire point of my previous post..not that I expected you to. Hope you invested in chainlink.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom