Look Ahead by Chief | The Boneyard

Look Ahead by Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Quite frankly, we have been able to avoid major injuries in recent years until this year. It will be a test for the trainer and S&C coach to see how these rehabs are handled.

Inherently, next year will have a lot of question marks trying to combine the team that ends this season with Gilbert /Larrier/Diarra with the incoming Freshmen.

We need more fire from the players from tipoff - KO seems to put emotion in but when the team doesn't respond he backs off sometimes where Calhoun would escalate things like a crazy genius.

I never see Coach Miller having a mini huddle for the Bigs - there seems to be no group pride in rebounding,setting screens or defending the middle except when Brimah blocks a shot out of bounds. Enoch has seemingly regressed since last season - very disappointing that he has not only not dramatically improved but regressed.

Hope is not lost on the current season if they play with intensity from the beginning.

Reaction Score
I don't think Enoch has regressed. He defense is advancing slowly, offense looks much improved.

In general I agree the bigs have been a wasteland for a while and makes UConn one dimensional to defend. And Brimah's need to attempt to block ever shot while give up 50 million weak side rebounds is insufferable.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, we have been able to avoid major injuries in recent years until this year. It will be a test for the trainer and S&C coach to see how these rehabs are handled.

Inherently, next year will have a lot of question marks trying to combine the team that ends this season with Gilbert /Larrier/Diarra with the incoming Freshmen.

We need more fire from the players from tipoff - KO seems to put emotion in but when the team doesn't respond he backs off sometimes where Calhoun would escalate things like a crazy genius.

I never see Coach Miller having a mini huddle for the Bigs - there seems to be no group pride in rebounding,setting screens or defending the middle except when Brimah blocks a shot out of bounds. Enoch has seemingly regressed since last season - very disappointing that he has not only not dramatically improved but regressed.

Hope is not lost on the current season if they play with intensity from the beginning.
Chief who's the starting center next year?

Reaction Score
Been thinking about the decay of our bigs for a bit now. Enoch needs to bust out in a big way, but he just seems too slow. He's got a tad more offense than Brimah, but doesn't block anything and doesn't do much on the boards. We will really be naked next year unless Enoch turns a corner.

Reaction Score

Do you think the changes Travis made to his program as a result of your suggestions could have led to an increase in injury rate? As you've mentioned, the changes seem to have had a positive impact, but at what cost?

Reaction Score
Been thinking about the decay of our bigs for a bit now. Enoch needs to bust out in a big way, but he just seems too slow. He's got a tad more offense than Brimah, but doesn't block anything and doesn't do much on the boards. We will really be naked next year unless Enoch turns a corner.

Defensively as far as understanding and reacting he is Brimah at this point. Don't think "slow" is an issue except reactions. Problem is he can't offset the lack of positioning with blocked shots, so if he doesn't improve we will go backwards in the middle if this is to be the heir apparent. Offensively he is light years ahead with the ball, but if he's not in the game it won't matter. And that alley oop isn't there although I would prefer a guy who can score from the block and catch the ball, make the defense collapse on occasion. Scary to think where the 5 is, but with improvement from some they may just have to play small. Maybe grad transfer, late recruiting changes who knows. Maybe Bamba LOL

Reaction Score
Defensively as far as understanding and reacting he is Brimah at this point. Don't think "slow" is an issue except reactions. Problem is he can't offset the lack of positioning with blocked shots, so if he doesn't improve we will go backwards in the middle if this is to be the heir apparent. Offensively he is light years ahead with the ball, but if he's not in the game it won't matter. And that alley oop isn't there although I would prefer a guy who can score from the block and catch the ball, make the defense collapse on occasion. Scary to think where the 5 is, but with improvement from some they may just have to play small. Maybe grad transfer, late recruiting changes who knows. Maybe Bamba LOL
We really looke like a mid major with our size.

C

Chief00

Do you think the changes Travis made to his program as a result of your suggestions could have led to an increase in injury rate? As you've mentioned, the changes seem to have had a positive impact, but at what cost?

Gilbert was a newcomer with a pre-existing condition as was Diarra.

Larrier - I would have to better understand what specific ACL knee preventative work he has the players do, if any. I know the women's team has done stuff that has seemed to improve their ACL rates. Would Travis put his academic theories and ego aside and learn from the women's team's learnings? That doesn't appear to be his MO unless forced to, quite frankly.
I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Durham is the guy, Enoch is awful

Durham needs to get a million times stronger to play a legit 5. He also needs to trust his knees more and show more explosion - Having said that, quite frankly, I like his height, basketball IQ and ability to touch shoot and pass.

Reaction Score
Gilbert was a newcomer with a pre-existing condition as was Diarra.

Larrier - I would have to better understand what specific ACL knee preventative work he has the players do, if any. I know the women's team has done stuff that has seemed to improve their ACL rates. Would Travis put his academic theories and ego aside and learn from the women's team's learnings? That doesn't appear to be his MO unless forced to, quite frankly.
I hope this helps.

I don't know anything about the facts regarding ACL's from the mens and women. I do recall years back the startling number of womens ACL injuries they did a study although I am unaware of the conclusions, it would seem that there is differences in the structure. I mean more injuries to athletes who don't jump as high or play as fast? Anyway while I am guessing there is maybe something to "potentially" improve your knee and the ligaments from catastrophic failure there is nothing to prepare it for that sudden stop and twist which caused Terry's. Facts are if it moves the wrong way full speed or turn ahead, no Dr can stop it from blowing up. Let's try to keep Travis out of this as well as the fact some of our kids need more muscle. Travis sets up programs that's his job, who works them is not his job it's the kid and how good he wants to be. Hilton didn't get bigger because of the program he was given, he got bigger because he followed the program when his conditioning coach was there, when he wasn't there and during the summer when no one was there. How about we start holding the players accountable also? How good do they want to be?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Unless we get a big surprise from Bamba or a shocking turn from Enoch, next year will be rough at center.
People will see the difference AB makes to our defense if that happens

C

Chief00

I don't know anything about the facts regarding ACL's from the mens and women. I do recall years back the startling number of womens ACL injuries they did a study although I am unaware of the conclusions, it would seem that there is differences in the structure. I mean more injuries to athletes who don't jump as high or play as fast? Anyway while I am guessing there is maybe something to "potentially" improve your knee and the ligaments from catastrophic failure there is nothing to prepare it for that sudden stop and twist which caused Terry's. Facts are if it moves the wrong way full speed or turn ahead, no Dr can stop it from blowing up. Let's try to keep Travis out of this as well as the fact some of our kids need more muscle. Travis sets up programs that's his job, who works them is not his job it's the kid and how good he wants to be. Hilton didn't get bigger because of the program he was given, he got bigger because he followed the program when his conditioning coach was there, when he wasn't there and during the summer when no one was there. How about we start holding the players accountable also? How good do they want to be?
Agree - players should be accountable, if given structure and tools. The woman have a very sophisticated approach to ACL prevention - nothing is fool proof and women were more vulnerable than men due to body built - hips. Other factors included pigeon toes walk, etc.

C

Chief00

Unless we get a big surprise from Bamba or a shocking turn from Enoch, next year will be rough at center.
People will see the difference AB makes to our defense if that happens
I agree in his absence the middle is open.

Reaction Score
We really looke like a mid major with our size.
I disagree with this we have lots of height and some girth especially with Enoch inside. Were we suck is that all the front court players are so one dimensional. We don't have a Deandre Daniels who could rebound, block and score inside or even Alex O who could rebound and score inside. We have AB who can only block shots, KF who can only get offensive rebounds and SE who can only score inside. The skill set of our bigs has sucked the past few years and the trend seems to be continuing with who we have coming in. It is fine if we have the guards and small forwards to balance it out but with TL and probably AG out we don't have enough at the guard position with only JA as being really good.

Reaction Score
I disagree with this we have lots of height and some girth especially with Enoch inside. Were we suck is that all the front court players are so one dimensional. We don't have a Deandre Daniels who could rebound, block and score inside or even Alex O who could rebound and score inside. We have AB who can only block shots, KF who can only get offensive rebounds and SE who can only score inside. The skill set of our bigs has sucked the past few years and the trend seems to be continuing with who we have coming in. It is fine if we have the guards and small forwards to balance it out but with TL and probably AG out we don't have enough at the guard position with only JA as being really good.
You are not wrong. But i still think our bigs look like mid major bigs. They may look more like it next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom