Longtime assistant and former #UConn standout Margaret Rodriguez has been named new head coach! | The Boneyard

Longtime assistant and former #UConn standout Margaret Rodriguez has been named new head coach!

Reaction Score

>>“I am pleased that Margaret Rodriguez has accepted our offer to become the next head women’s soccer coach at UConn,” director of athletics David Benedict said. “We engaged in a national search and it became clear that the best candidate was right here in Storrs. Over the past 10 years, Mags has demonstrated extraordinary passion for UConn women’s soccer and dedication to our student-athletes. I feel that she is the perfect person to lead our program into the future.”<<

Reaction Score
What exactly did Ms. Rodriguez do in her 10 years as assistant that so impressed Benedict and the writer of that article? That was the time period the program retreated from the national scene.

Whatever. Not surprising. This program's best days are behind it.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
What exactly did Ms. Rodriguez do in her 10 years as assistant that so impressed Benedict and the writer of that article? That was the time period the program retreated from the national scene.

I like the way you give her a chance to show what she can do before casting her off. Just because she was his assistant, that does not imply she is a carbon copy of him. Maybe her relative youth and life experiences will bring something different to the position and elevate the program back to where it belongs.
I wish her luck and hope for the best.

Reaction Score
I suspect that UConn sees an advantage in maintaining a coaching link to the glory years when the UConn women's soccer team was one of the best teams in the country. Those days are long gone, with one of the big reasons being that many schools have built beautiful and new soccer facilities over the last couple of decades while UConn has continued to play in the badly outdated Morrone Stadium. That put UConn in a big recruiting hole. One advantage that Margaret Rodriguez hopefully will have over Len Tsantiris is a brand new soccer facility that should come into use soon. Will a new coach and facility help spark a return to national prominence for UConn women’s soccer? That could be pretty difficult, as conference realignment has affected the women's soccer program as well. There are certain NCAA sports where non P5 schools are more competitive than in other sports. Women's soccer is one of those sports where P5 schools are a lot more dominant, at least when compared to other NCAA sports such as men's soccer, field hockey, and baseball.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Complete dolt
MTR is an outstanding woman who has the respect of all in the world of US women's soccer
Yeah the glory days of women's soccer at UConn is in the past but so it is in other sports - conference realignment killed this school
The players love and respect her
One thing for sure - you continue to be the most pessimistic jerk

Reaction Score
Complete dolt
MTR is an outstanding woman who has the respect of all in the world of US women's soccer
Yeah the glory days of women's soccer at UConn is in the past but so it is in other sports - conference realignment killed this school
The players love and respect her
One thing for sure - you continue to be the most pessimistic jerk
I agree 100%. Many of the posters on the boneyard are just afraid to face reality. We are no longer the UConn of the old Big East Days. We are the new UConn, a mid-major athletic school. The fans and the school need to adjust to our new reality.

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. Many of the posters on the boneyard are just afraid to face reality. We are no longer the UConn of the old Big East Days. We are the new UConn, a mid-major athletic school. The fans and the school need to adjust to our new reality.

The fans will adjust. They will tune UConn athletics out as a product.

Reaction Score
This conference is better or almost as strong in pretty much every sport as the Big East was.

Reaction Score
This conference is better or almost as strong in pretty much every sport as the Big East was.

What? The old Big East was stronger than the AAC in most every sport except for baseball and softball. It was a power house in both basketball and soccer for both sexes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The fans will adjust. They will tune UConn athletics out as a product.
Let the front runner fans tune them out. It just means the true fans will have easier access to tickets and we wont have to worry about any traffic issues going to or leaving the games.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What a surprise, ASweet comes in with a melodramatic, bitter, entitled, and overall terrible take.

Then again, if they weren’t complaining about it, it wouldn’t be UConn athletics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom